Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Help with home theater setup for HR24-500

receiver

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

Oh I know, that one is the NEW blu-ray, I was thinking about using my old Panasonic DVD which only has one.

"well" it kind of helps to know the model you have, and not the one you want, when trying to troubleshoot. !rolling

So it sounds like you either need to buy your "new toy", or go optical with what you have.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   NurseDiesel

NurseDiesel

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:17 PM

I'm sorry VOS :blush: you answered the questions I had with the new one anyhow. My old one is a 5-Disc changer and the platter is not wanting to turn. Might have to upgrade anyway, played this one to death.

#23 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:19 PM

So have you been naughty or nice this year? :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#24 OFFLINE   NurseDiesel

NurseDiesel

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:19 AM

Neither, just kind of flat-lined. LOL I ordered that BTT770 should be here today, the disc-changing carousel on my old one completely stopped working after I got home last night and tried working with it. I can't complain too bad, it lasted 7 years. Never had cable/satellite or anything in that time, so must have watched it several hours each day that whole time. The model of my old one was Panasonic SC-HT740. May it rest in peace and I'm hoping for the same type of longevity with the new one. Tried waiting on a carousel model in blu-ray, but it's been several years and no one ever came up with one.

#25 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:28 AM

Did you need the whole set-up (speakers)? Could you not have just bought a blu-ray player?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#26 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:38 AM

Neither, just kind of flat-lined. LOL

And here I was hoping you'd been "nicely naughty". :lol:
Now that I've seen the manual for your Panasonic, it's a dinosaur.
You will like your new one much better.
A.K.A VOS

#27 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Did you need the whole set-up (speakers)? Could you not have just bought a blu-ray player?

Short answer: the amp sucks
A.K.A VOS

#28 OFFLINE   NurseDiesel

NurseDiesel

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Well I thought about doing that, but if I went with model # DMP-BDT21 for instance, there are no speaker connections in the back for my existing speakers. If I had a receiver to go through that would have worked, but I don't.

#29 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:41 AM

Well I thought about doing that, but if I went with model # DMP-BDT21 for instance, there are no speaker connections in the back for my existing speakers. If I had a receiver to go through that would have worked, but I don't.

Your old/current amp/player almost pre-dates HD.
The lack of features/options is its biggest draw back.
A.K.A VOS

#30 OFFLINE   NurseDiesel

NurseDiesel

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:42 AM

And here I was hoping you'd been "nicely naughty". :lol:
Now that I've seen the manual for your Panasonic, it's a dinosaur.
You will like your new one much better.

The one good move I did make was when I bought my TV a few years ago, I made sure it was 1080P. Of course, the same TV today is about half the price. The HD Channels on Directv are impressive though! Had the TV for about 3 years now, and 2 weeks ago was the first time I'd ever seen anything HD on it.

#31 OFFLINE   NurseDiesel

NurseDiesel

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:48 AM

Your old/current amp/player almost pre-dates HD.
The lack of features/options is its biggest draw back.

That's true, when I first bought it it was cutting edge, and the HDMI cable was expensive. I did get new hi-speed HDMI cables for the new setup though, ad I'm sure my orignal cable is outdated.

#32 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:50 AM

The one good move I did make was when I bought my TV a few years ago, I made sure it was 1080P.

I got burned by Sony when I bought this TV. It said 1080p, but didn't say it was only 1080p/60, which means it doesn't work with 1080p/24 of unconverted blu-ray and DirecTV. :(
A.K.A VOS

#33 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:53 AM

That's true, when I first bought it it was cutting edge, and the HDMI cable was expensive. I did get new hi-speed HDMI cables for the new setup though, ad I'm sure my orignal cable is outdated.

Don't get suckered into expensive cables.
HDMI [like everything else] has changed from version 1.0 through to 1.4, which is what is "faster", but I think 1.3 has all the bandwidth currently needed.
Since I'm guessing ARC is something you will use, I'd check which version you need for it.
A good HDMI cable can be had for $5-10.
A.K.A VOS

#34 OFFLINE   NurseDiesel

NurseDiesel

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:56 AM

I got this HDMI cable that supports ARC, but from what we discussed yesterday, I may not even use it since the TV is downstream from the DTV box and blu-ray player.

#35 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:01 AM

I got this HDMI cable that supports ARC, but from what we discussed yesterday, I may not even use it since the TV is downstream from the DTV box and blu-ray player.

The price is fair and this would only be needed between the TV & AVR, if you use the TV tuner output.
Your new amp will be the center point of where everything will connect to.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1324570106

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

Edited by veryoldschool, 22 December 2011 - 10:08 AM.

A.K.A VOS

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: receiver

spam firewall