Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM self-upgrade help

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:59 PM

If this SWM8 has a green sticker/label, then it has the BSF internally. If not, then it should have one too.
With no RF coming out legacy #3, cap or not at your pleasure.
BTW: it wasn't the development engineer, but the CTO [head honcho] of DirecTV that told me. ;)

Do you mean?

The 8 way splitter is green label -The SWM8 I'm not sure where is that marked?

Sorry for being Dense
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:04 PM

Do you mean?

The SWM8 I'm not sure where is that marked?

Sorry for being Dense

Most likely it's on the bottom.
A.K.A VOS

#23 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:18 PM

Most likely it's on the bottom.

Is there a reason you used the "RED" port on the swim 8 for BB deca? Or does that matter for placement and my SWM8 doesn't have a label.

Attached Thumbnails

• SWM4.jpg

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#24 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:28 PM

Is there a reason you used the "RED" port on the swim 8 for BB deca? Or does that matter for placement and my SWM8 doesn't have a label.

Doesn't look like "my work", but also with no DC, it doesn't matter what is connected to the red port.
How old is this SWM8?
If it's older than 18 months there is a very good chance it doesn't have the filter and the lack of a label may suggest this, since it was [needed] added after the filter was incorporated.
"If in doubt" add a filter, since too many filters can't hurt and not having one may.
A.K.A VOS

#25 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:40 PM

Not sure about the date-I bought it off ebay first of this year but I do have a spare BSF anyway.
Thanks for clearing that up.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#26 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:30 AM

The red ports are the power passing ones, ie related to connecting the PI not the CCK

if the PI is downstream of a splitter then the PI has to go to a RED port (only applicable if powering via SWM1) if powering via #3 then you wouldn't have any splitters between the PI and the port

Just look around the SWM8 for a green label (on my SWM16 it was on the top end (ie the side that doesn't have coax ports) but then again all SWM16's are green label

the only downside to a non-green label SWM8 is that as you'd have to put a BSF between the SWM port you use and the splitter and the SWM8 already has a built in 2way splitter absolute optimum signal levels might not be possible, though it'll likely work just fine.

#27 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:40 AM

absolute optimum signal levels might not be possible, though it'll likely work just fine.

While you've tried to codify this statement, it's still "way over the top".
The output of one port is the exact same power level as on a SWiM LNB, & SWiM-16.
"If" and only if, one needed to maximize losses for extremely long coax runs, would this matter or have any affect.
A.K.A VOS

#28 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:58 AM

While you've tried to codify this statement, it's still "way over the top".
The output of one port is the exact same power level as on a SWiM LNB, & SWiM-16.
"If" and only if, one needed to maximize losses for extremely long coax runs, would this matter or have any affect.

Ya that's why I said it might not matter
cases where it would
1. Really long cable runs
2. perfectionist

I was trying to show possible reasons that the green label might be better over just the built in BSF

#29 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:00 AM

Ya that's why I said it might not matter
cases where it would
1. Really long cable runs
2. perfectionist

I was trying to show possible reasons that the green label might be better over just the built in BSF

#1 has validity
#2 doesn't, because the receiver works the same @ -60 dBm as it does @ -30 dBm
A.K.A VOS

#30 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:25 AM

Well if you're trying to get all that extra unneeded signal.

#31 OFFLINE   stumbleshoe

stumbleshoe

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationJohns Island, SC

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:10 AM

I wanted to say thanks to VOS, wallfishman, and everyone else for their advice. I installed the new LNB, PI, and splitter this weekend and it could not have been easier.

I went with the splitter and new LNB option because I was going to need to remove the LNB anyway to clean up the cabling - the DirecTV installer did a poor job of routing the lines and did not setup a proper ground. Now I have a clean cable job complete with drip loops and good grounding.

Thanks again - forums like this definitely make my life easier.

spam firewall