Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

12 New Streaming Channels for iPad app

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:21 AM

has anyone tried setting up a vpn connection from an ipad to their home network and trying to run this app?
3 HR20's
1 Channel Master 4228 antenna in attic
1 Samsung 55" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Samsung 46" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Panasonic 42" Plasma (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Popcorn Hour A-400
1 Popcorn Hour C-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 822 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:01 PM

has anyone tried setting up a vpn connection from an ipad to their home network and trying to run this app?

Yes. No. It doesn't work.

#43 OFFLINE   chewwy420

chewwy420

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:57 PM

It woks for everything but the streaming tv. But could be my only 2 Mbps up stream.

#44 OFFLINE   PMA

PMA

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts
  • LocationLivermore, California

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:10 PM

This would be a killer app if it could be used anywhere. Since HBO Go requires a DirecTV log in and can be used remotely, I would think this process could be used to enable this app to run anywhere.

I see very limited use if at home since I will always default to watching these channels on my TV.

#45 OFFLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:42 AM

I just tried this app last night.

Is there any way to see the To Do List at all from the app?

Can you get your favorites list from the receiver to show up on the app?

It seems to me that it mainly allows you to view the guide, add recordings to any dvr on your network, stream certain channels and use it as a remote.

Am I missing anything?
3 HR20's
1 Popcorn Hour A-400
1 Popcorn Hour C-200

#46 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:46 AM

Any of you who use this regularly, have any issue with usage caps such as the Comcast 250 GB limit?

#47 OFFLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

Any of you who use this regularly, have any issue with usage caps such as the Comcast 250 GB limit?

I tend to doubt it.

This app was meant to be used on your local network, so that wouldn't use your Internet connection at all.

The only way it would is if you got VPN to work with this app and you could stream with it. Even if that did work, most people's upload bandwidth are limited compared to download. I would think it would take a lot to hit that cap.
3 HR20's
1 Popcorn Hour A-400
1 Popcorn Hour C-200

#48 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

I tend to doubt it.

This app was meant to be used on your local network, so that wouldn't use your Internet connection at all.

The only way it would is if you got VPN to work with this app and you could stream with it. Even if that did work, most people's upload bandwidth are limited compared to download. I would think it would take a lot to hit that cap.

It does use your local network, but it also uses the internet. All the streaming channels are sent from DIRECTV's servers to your house via the internet. If you have DL caps, it most certainly will count toward them.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#49 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,765 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

I don't think you'll ever see streaming outside of your home. If that was allowed you could just lend your DirecTV.com username and password to a "friend" to get programming.

First they would have to DRM the stream anyway which is not secure today. Hopefully one day they do it so that the streaming can be 'trusted' on more devices, such as those with full root level access to their file systems (some kinds of tablets and Windows or Mac PC's).

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#50 OFFLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

It does use your local network, but it also uses the internet. All the streaming channels are sent from DIRECTV's servers to your house via the internet. If you have DL caps, it most certainly will count toward them.

I did not know that....

I stand corrected
3 HR20's
1 Popcorn Hour A-400
1 Popcorn Hour C-200

#51 OFFLINE   spikor

spikor

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

I was just Wondering.....might get an iPad later in a few Months or so maybe a little later...my nephews have each a ipod will this live streaming work on those as well? IF they are in an Area and have Internet Access?

#52 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

I was just Wondering.....might get an iPad later in a few Months or so maybe a little later...my nephews have each a ipod will this live streaming work on those as well? IF they are in an Area and have Internet Access?

It works on the iPad only. No live streaming on the iPod.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad

#53 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:41 PM

It works on the iPad only. No live streaming on the iPod.

Has there been any thought to porting this to the iPhone?

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#54 OFFLINE   John4924

John4924

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

I don't think you'll ever see streaming outside of your home. If that was allowed you could just lend your DirecTV.com username and password to a "friend" to get programming.

First they would have to DRM the stream anyway which is not secure today. Hopefully one day they do it so that the streaming can be 'trusted' on more devices, such as those with full root level access to their file systems (some kinds of tablets and Windows or Mac PC's).

On my notice about price increases from Directv, there is a statement that says 'Coming Soon...Watch TV on your PC and mobile device with DIRECTV Everywhere'. Does this mean what I think it means? Any opinions?

#55 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,765 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

On my notice about price increases from Directv, there is a statement that says 'Coming Soon...Watch TV on your PC and mobile device with DIRECTV Everywhere'. Does this mean what I think it means? Any opinions?

I don't know how they are going to secure it. That's the whole reason behind blocking jailbroken ipads from the entire app (yes even harmless remote control and DVR programming are blocked). You have root access to the ipad's filesystem.

If they allow you to stream it on a Windows PC, how will that work? I have root access to my C: drive (and other drives), along with the ability to tamper with system files and do live memory dumps. A PC does not run in a sandbox state like an iPad. So DirecTV has to come up with some kind of hyper sensitive security since what worked for HBO, Cinemax, Hulu, Netflix, ABC, NBC, and many others are not "good enough" for DirecTV.

If they come up with similar DRM like everybody else is, then maybe you could see DirecTV streaming available to all devices that have access to their root filesystems (like jailbroken ipad, a Windows PC, Mac PC, Linux box and other devices). I'd like to see them embrace an open and secure platform that would allow their content to be used anywhere. I hope they are confident in their secure transmission technology and I hope the content providers are just as confident. There was a press release where DirecTV CTO made a statement on signing up with NDS for their VideoGuard Connect platform. Maybe once this is fully loaded we'll see some movement in this area.

VideoGuard Connect DRM Info:
http://www.nds.com/C...rd_Connect_DRM/

DirecTV and NDS VideoGuard Connect DRM Press release:
http://www.nds.com/M...latform_Pay-TV/

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#56 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:37 PM

Has there been any thought to porting this to the iPhone?

I don't know the answer to that. Perhaps this new TV Everywhere service will allow you to stream to the iPhone.

I guess we'll wait and see...

Genie, Hx2x, nomad

Protected By... spam firewall...And...