Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I'm connecting my esata drive to my parents HR24.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:27 AM

They have a few things on their internal drive they may want to dump to a DVD-R at some point. I just don't have access to mine in a box somewhere after my move.

Am I remembering it correctly that once I disconnect the esata drive, all the shows on the internal drive will again be accessible?
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:38 AM

They have a few things on their internal drive they may want to dump to a DVD-R at some point. I just don't have access to mine in a box somewhere after my move.

Am I remembering it correctly that once I disconnect the esata drive, all the shows on the internal drive will again be accessible?

Correct, it just shuts the internal down. The recorded shows and series links will still be there.
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#3 OFFLINE   phox_mulder

phox_mulder

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:59 PM

Once you hook that esata drive to another DVR, it will format it for use on that DVR, anything on the drive will be gone forever.

phox

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

Not exactly....if it has been formatted for use on a D* HD DVR, it will not format it by just hooking it up to a different DVR. But the content will not be playable, unless they are OTA recordings.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,862 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:17 PM

Once you hook that esata drive to another DVR, it will format it for use on that DVR, anything on the drive will be gone forever.

phox

The move happened MANY times WITHOUT reformatting and many ppl posted the fact here. Where is you got your experience Mr. phox? :rolleyes:

#6 OFFLINE   phox_mulder

phox_mulder

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

The move happened MANY times WITHOUT reformatting and many ppl posted the fact here. Where is you got your experience Mr. phox? :rolleyes:

Pretty sure my Esata got reformatted when I temporarily moved it from my HR20 to my HR21.

phox

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,862 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

pretty sure ? Esata ?

it is eSATA and try it again to be sure it wasn't happened

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:11 PM

Pretty sure my Esata got reformatted when I temporarily moved it from my HR20 to my HR21.

phox

It shouldnt...I've moved drives to different DVR's many times and they never reformat. The recordings from the DVR they were recorded on are still there, just not playable. Only OTA recordings can be played if you move a drive from 1 DVR to another, but unless it detected a problem with the drive during boot, it should not reformat the drive.

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:24 PM

It shouldnt...I've moved drives to different DVR's many times and they never reformat. The recordings from the DVR they were recorded on are still there, just not playable. Only OTA recordings can be played if you move a drive from 1 DVR to another, but unless it detected a problem with the drive during boot, it should not reformat the drive.

I've never had an external HDD reformatted either. But, I don't doubt that it can happen. It's just not supposed to.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,862 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

Rich,

Actually, each reboot the DVR is checking file system integrity, so practically it could happen if there discovered severe problem; but it's totally unrelated to which DVR is doing the check.

So the chances of reformatting are very little and if it happen, then it would tell about file system severe problem or bad health of the drive.

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:39 PM

Rich,

Actually, each reboot the DVR is checking file system integrity, so practically it could happen if there discovered severe problem; but it's totally unrelated to which DVR is doing the check.

So the chances of reformatting are very little and if it happen, then it would tell about file system severe problem or bad health of the drive.

I don't remember any posts about the HDDs not working after being reformatted. Anybody have any real life experience with this?

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,862 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:37 PM

You missed most frequent case: file system severe problem and bring up other one "bad health of the drive" what would lead to ceasing the DVR functionality and getting some error codes and I didn't imply the drive would work after discovering bad health of it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...