Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Directv Prices

• Please log in to reply
808 replies to this topic

#276 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:15 PM

If your favorite grocery store decided to tell Coke to stick it in their ear and no longer carry their products, what would happen to that store's business?

If your favorite sporting goods store decided to tell Nike to stick it in their ear and no longer carry their products, what would happen to that store's business?

There are simple realities here. Every distributor must carry ESPN or become a bit player. That is reality. The distributors know it, ESPN knows it. Thus, ESPN can demand rates that are in the stratosphere because no carrier wants to be without them and watch millions of their customers who don't give a damn about a $3 increase per month leave. That is reality.

It's easy for any of us to sit behind a keyboard and say DTV or TWC or DISH needs to play hardball and show ESPN or HBO or Fox or FILL IN THE BLANK who is boss. Then there are the realities and the repercussions that go along with choosing that path.

The grocery store does not force all people to buy coke to get other stuff.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#277 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

You make a good point with the electric meter but, ultimately, you're paying for new features whether you want them or not and whether you get them or not. The cost for D* to do anything ultimately comes out their revenue. Whether they choose to dip into their profits to pay for it (like your electric company apparently did for that fancy new meter), raise rates to offset the cost (so they can keep the profits), or some combination is up to them. Well, ultimately, it's up to the subscriber base (including you and me) to accept the new rates.

Personally, I would like to see D* open things up a bit for customers that want to bring their own equipment like has been done with cable with cableCARD. Charge me per tuner, fine. Just give me the ability to attach those tuners to my own equipment so I can build out my own whole-home DVR solution without funding a bunch of R&D on equipment that will ultimately be less than fully adequate. I get that engineering a good product for the masses means making a bunch of compromises and testing the dickens out of everything. I'll save D* the money of doing those tests and building a bunch of boxes - let me roll my own. I'm a smart guy and can generally support my own stuff.

or at least get rid of the 2 year lock in to add boxes like how most of the cable co's do it.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#278 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 562 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:21 PM

I don't like paying an extra $6 a month, but I love the self-righteousness of all the anti-"greed" posters here who pretend they wouldn't try to maximize profits if they owned a high-demand product.

#279 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,676 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:14 PM

Don't you have to compare DIRECTV's prices to the rest of the service providers?

If the service is entertainment it seems fair. Comparing DBS to utilities such as electric, water, gas and phone service is a stretch - especially with the regulation on such utilities.

It would be a stretch, but there are a lot of service industries such as food service which could be inappropriately compared. After a while you end up with something big, like the consumer price index, that one could compare DirecTV's price increases to. But there are industries that are above and below that average.

At first blush cable/DBS seems to be above average in price increases ... but there is a lot more service being provided now than 10 years ago. If one could roll back the price to match the average consumer price increase would one accept the channel list and features that were available 10 years ago at the 10 year plus inflation price? Probably not. People WANT the improvements to the service. Improvements cost money.

#280 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

There are customers without locals in their base package, I am one of them.

DTV wanted to compete with cable and DISH so they added local channels. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. Yes, it would save you a few dollars if they never went down the locals path, but they also would be stuck around 10Million customers if not less and that would mean a lot of other things, including the possibility that DTV doesn't even exist.

I didnt say get rid of them, I said give us the choice to OPT OUT of them, like we do with the Sports pak, HD Extra Pack, etc. Make it a choice to add on or not.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#281 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:03 PM

If the service is entertainment it seems fair. Comparing DBS to utilities such as electric, water, gas and phone service is a stretch - especially with the regulation on such utilities.

It would be a stretch, but there are a lot of service industries such as food service which could be inappropriately compared. After a while you end up with something big, like the consumer price index, that one could compare DirecTV's price increases to. But there are industries that are above and below that average.

At first blush cable/DBS seems to be above average in price increases ... but there is a lot more service being provided now than 10 years ago. If one could roll back the price to match the average consumer price increase would one accept the channel list and features that were available 10 years ago at the 10 year plus inflation price? Probably not. People WANT the improvements to the service. Improvements cost money.

Actually if I could get the same channels I got in 03 for roughy the same price, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

#282 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:26 PM

Actually if I could get the same channels I got in 03 for roughy the same price, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

That would mean no HD I'll pass.

#283 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:01 PM

I don't like paying an extra $6 a month, but I love the self-righteousness of all the anti-"greed" posters here who pretend they wouldn't try to maximize profits if they owned a high-demand product.

I'm not against price increases, and if I owned a business, I would certainly try to pawn off all rising business expenses to the customer, but I would also realize that I'm alienating customers at a certain point. There are 2 or 3 other options, but they are all priced the same, so whats the point of switching back and forth? just to get some short lived promo? Seems like a hassle.

I'm kinda thinking that DTV could put its foot down on ESPN and win, but they are too scared to piss off the sports nuts if a black out occured.

All a lot of posters are saying is take out the most expensive channels (sports) and put them in a seperate package so the rest of us don't have to pay for them.

My cable company dropped its cable modem fee by $10/month 3 or 4 yrs ago, so...

#284 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

DirecTV 10yr+ Customer

• Registered
  • 995 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:02 PM

To me this is going to have the opposite effect of what DirecTV wants....more of my money.. I left cable years ago because my bill went up each month with what I call the "kill me slowly plan". It finally got to a point that was ridiculous and DirecTV offered a better and stable alternative. Over the past year+ DirecTV can provide all the excuses they want but my bills have gone up and up....approaching $100 a month now. I only have three receivers and not one of the high end packages and no HBO/Cinemax/etc. For the $100/month my family probably watches dozen or so channels....but paying for all the "packages" we don't use.

Thus, what this new hike will mean for me is to look at the DTV lower cost packages in order to reduce my bill. I also just went from AT&T for Internet/Phone to Comcast where I 10X speed and pay $45/month versus $100....their Double Play XFinity. I'm locked into DirecTV for another 6+ months but at that point I will look to see the two-years Comcast will offer to add Video.....my guess is big savings.

Bottom line.....I'm a long DirecTV fan but they forcing my hand to look to how to move away from their offerings....sadly.

Speak Your Mind..........

Those Who Mind Don't Matter

Those Who Matter Won't Mind

#285 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,956 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:03 PM

Computers=The worlds greatest convenience and worst creation.

Computers are great. It is what we have to go through to use them that stinks on ice.
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#286 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:40 PM

I do run my business and I don't raise prices as often as DirecTV or others (and I recognize I don't have the same business as DirecTV)...even though I probably could without mass customers leaving.

The bottom line is not the end-all to every business. Notice I just said "end-all" as of course it is VERY important for a variety of reasons (bills, future needs, etc...).

But no, not everyone who owns a business runs the business strictly to get as much profits as possible saying "who cares about the customers...I want as much money as possible"

#287 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:06 PM

What has me and most others mad is that NOTHING else has increased at the same rate. Think back to all your bills: gas, power, electric, phone, internet, etc. over the same time period. Assuming you didn't add new features, NONE of those items has doubled since 2002. Has your salary? Mine has only gone up roughly 60% and thats only a factor of adding more years experience.

As far as DISH goes, well, I think if you look back to 2002 and compare DISH prices, you'll see they have moved pretty much lock step with DirecTV.

/rofl my eletric bil went up 18.00 dollars in one price increase or about 10 years of directv's increases and the last one wsa just 14 months ago that was 8.00 a month

#288 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 562 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:54 PM

I do run my business and I don't raise prices as often as DirecTV or others (and I recognize I don't have the same business as DirecTV)...even though I probably could without mass customers leaving.

The bottom line is not the end-all to every business. Notice I just said "end-all" as of course it is VERY important for a variety of reasons (bills, future needs, etc...).

But no, not everyone who owns a business runs the business strictly to get as much profits as possible saying "who cares about the customers...I want as much money as possible"

Whoa, whoa, whoa...

I never said anything about not caring about the customers. Obviously, a successful business model involves taking care of the people who give you money.

The point is that increasing prices is not a problem until enough people decide it's too much. Certainly some will make that decision, but only DirecTV knows how many is "enough."

As long as they provide a service that enough people choose to purchase at the price offered, there's nothing greedy or inappropriate about it.

(PS: Also, if you had shareholders, you might be a little more aggressive with your pursuit of profits.)

#289 OFFLINE   mattnboise

mattnboise

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:31 PM

ESPN should be broken out of all the packages and made a premium service just like HBO is.

+1 It absolutely should be done and that is why it will not happen.

#290 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,676 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:59 PM

That isn't the offer. '03 channels for '03 price plus inflation (or overall consumer price index) would be the offer. Hopefully something has been added in the past 9 years that would make the extra increase at least partially worthwhile.

I didnt say get rid of them, I said give us the choice to OPT OUT of them, like we do with the Sports pak, HD Extra Pack, etc. Make it a choice to add on or not.

Opt out all you like as long as you still pay for them. I suppose DirecTV could make people feel better by allowing some to save $3 a month for not getting their locals. The rest of the cost of delivering locals would still be paid for by the customers not receiving them. With stations charging per viewer DirecTV might even make money in some markets (if the carriage fees for that market total more than $3).

The way I see it, I'm paying for locals whether I watch them or not. The token $3 doesn't cover the cost of delivery. Since I'm paying for locals anyways I might as well be able to watch them. The same goes for HD. The cost to deliver a HD signal to your TV is built in to the entire bill. Yes, there is a token fee but the ability to get free HD further demonstrates that the costs are covered elsewhere on the bill. A bill that has gone up over the years as new channels and technology has been introduced to the service provided.

#291 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:03 AM

Become a publicly traded company and I guess we can see what the end all becomes.

I understand your intent but comparing your average small company to any company that is publicly traded and as large as DIRECTV isn't a real comparison.

#292 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:00 AM

That isn't the offer. '03 channels for '03 price plus inflation (or overall consumer price index) would be the offer. Hopefully something has been added in the past 9 years that would make the extra increase at least partially worthwhile.

Opt out all you like as long as you still pay for them. I suppose DirecTV could make people feel better by allowing some to save $3 a month for not getting their locals. The rest of the cost of delivering locals would still be paid for by the customers not receiving them. With stations charging per viewer DirecTV might even make money in some markets (if the carriage fees for that market total more than $3).

The way I see it, I'm paying for locals whether I watch them or not. The token $3 doesn't cover the cost of delivery. Since I'm paying for locals anyways I might as well be able to watch them. The same goes for HD. The cost to deliver a HD signal to your TV is built in to the entire bill. Yes, there is a token fee but the ability to get free HD further demonstrates that the costs are covered elsewhere on the bill. A bill that has gone up over the years as new channels and technology has been introduced to the service provided.

I dont believe there's a single channel they've added since the inception of the NFL Network that I've watched, and if I have i don't care whether it's there or not. So, again I'll gladly pay the current rate for 03 channels pending it wouldn't come up to something like a $2 savings.

#293 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:21 AM

/rofl my eletric bil went up 18.00 dollars in one price increase or about 10 years of directv's increases and the last one wsa just 14 months ago that was 8.00 a month

Is this a joke? You do realize that they charge you per kw/hr usage right? :rolleyes:

#294 OFFLINE   rayik

rayik

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

Last year the continual price increases made us think about whether DTV was worth it to us. While we could easily afford DTV, it just became not worth it to us and we cut the cord. When we did that, we had no complaints about DTV and actually loved the service.

One year later and we are very happy with our cord cutting decision. TV went from about $81 / month to $16 / month (netflix and hulu plus monthly subscriptions). We watch basically everything we did with DTV. For the few new shows my wife just can't wait to watch, we buy a season pass on Amazon for about $30. (This is much less than 1 months subscrption to DTV.)

For sports, the NFL is on OTA (and we live in an OTA rich area). Our MLB team has 30% of the games OTA. Our local hockey and basketball teams are Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia - which DTV never had - and thus we learned not to miss them. We still don't miss them.

It's not for eveyone. But content providers should keep folks like us in mind when they make their pricing plans.

#295 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:29 PM

negotiate, negotiate, negotiate.....

---------------------
http://online.wsj.co...=googlenews_wsj

* DECEMBER 29, 2011

Customers Say to Cable Firms, 'Let's Make a Deal'

By LAUREN A. E. SCHUKER

Want cheaper cable television? Try asking for it.

Every three to six months, when his most recent promotional deal expires, Carey Anthony blocks out an hour of his day to negotiate with his cable company. Each time, the president of a software company in Los Angeles says he can knock $20 to $30 off his monthly bill.

Lauren Schuker on The News Hub has some tips on how to trim your cable bill, such as asking your service provider for unadvertised deals. Photo: AP

"Negotiating works every time," says Mr. Anthony, 46, who estimates he has saved more than $350 a year over the past decade. "Sometimes you have to threaten to cancel service, or switch to another provider, or sit on hold for an hour, but I've never failed to get a discount," he says. "You just have to be diligent."

To stanch the bleeding, some cable companies have begun to quietly offer stripped-down plans to retain viewers. They frequently go unadvertised in many regions and customers might have to hunt for them on providers' websites to find out exactly what to ask for.

---------------------
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#296 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,178 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:52 PM

I'm sure DirecTV could have made the new packages and pricing more convoluted and difficult to understand...but it would have taken some work. ;)
When news breaks...we fix it.

#297 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

I'm sure DirecTV could have made the new packages and pricing more convoluted and difficult to understand...but it would have taken some work. ;)

Part of the challenge is that we don't know what the channel lineups are for several of these bundles. It's odd that they'd announce pricing now, but not the channel list. Are they still negotiating behind the scenes???
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#298 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:12 PM

Has anyone seen an official communication yet or just the training information that was copied and pasted in the first post?

#299 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,081 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

Has anyone seen an official communication yet or just the training information that was copied and pasted in the first post?

Only one that I know of...

Today via email I received the official notification from DIRECTV of the February 2012 rate changes. Here's their PDF:

http://f.cm.directv....GMJ792GMENG.pdf

~Alan

#300 OFFLINE   F1 Fan

F1 Fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:24 PM

I had the email from them about 2 or 3 days ago
HR34-700, HR24-100, 3x H25-100s, MRV on DECA, SWM16

Protected By... spam firewall...And...