Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Directv Prices

• Please log in to reply
808 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:42 AM

Yet they also know that many of their subscribers are tied into yearly deals with DirecTV and have little to no actual competition in their areas. So, DirecTV can raise rates and have them pay it because they have no other choices.

exactly what my electric provider did, they are the only game in the area. Prices start 01/01/2012 are 18.00 a month higher then what they where on 12/01/2011 - and the public service commision approved the rates. same thing different company

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:49 AM

I understand that Dish's HD is substandard. Does anyone know that to be a fact?

I wouldn't call it substandard, but it is different. I just switched from Dish a few months ago and the quality of the HD picture wasn't even a consideration as a reason.

As suggested, go into a store with both if you can, like a local dealer that does both and see for yourself.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#243 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,691 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:12 AM

Is there a Sears or a DISH Network showroom in your area? If so pay a visit and make your own determinations.

As human memory tends to look better with age, it is surely best to find a local B&M that handles both and can show each side-by-side (or at least on the same TV).

Many have observed that program PQ varies from one showing (or one game) to the next so it is best to lock the time variable in when doing a comparison.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#244 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,691 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:15 AM

The economic reality is that you would pay more for less if that happens.

Could you quantify what the Entertainment pack sacrifices to cost less than Choice?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#245 OFFLINE   VelvetUn

VelvetUn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:24 AM

I was glancing through old threads, curious to see how much my bill has changed over the years, and I found this. http://www.dbstalk.c...709#post2023709

1998 Total choice PLATINUM 47.99
1999 Total Choice $29.99
2000 Total Choice $31.99
2003 Total Choice $33.99
2004 Total Choice $36.99
2005 Total Choice $41.99
2006 Total Choice $44.99
2007 Total Choice $47.99
2008 Total Choice $50.99
2009 Total Choice $53.99
2010 Total Choice $57.49
2011 Total Choice $60.49
2012 Total Choice $64.49

I've been a customer since 2004, so I have seen a 74% increase in my rate. Not to continue the war over is it fair to increase prices, but that seems probably inline with what D* has incurred from networks.

#246 OFFLINE   markrw58

markrw58

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:36 AM

As I usually do when there is a price increase coming I look at alternatives and this is the first time that the alternatives will be cheaper for me. If the $10 HD credit goes away it will be a large enough increase that I will reduce or drop dtv or switch to another provider. It sucks, I love dtv and have been with them since 95 but I have reached my limit on what I am willing to pay.

#247 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:01 AM

Directv and the other providers are somewhat at fault here. While I realize they spent a lot of money for their spot beam satellites to offer locals, they could do us all a favor and offer a NO LOCALS discount, which would cut the payments to the networks for every one of us that puts up a rooftop antenna. I have never even used DirecTv for locals, they all get recorded on my Tivo/antenna box. That is $3 or $5 a month I am paying to the networks to watch what I get free.

There are customers without locals in their base package, I am one of them.

DTV wanted to compete with cable and DISH so they added local channels. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. Yes, it would save you a few dollars if they never went down the locals path, but they also would be stuck around 10Million customers if not less and that would mean a lot of other things, including the possibility that DTV doesn't even exist.

#248 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:08 AM

What if every provider pulled it {ESPN} down at once? I wonder what would happen then? :sure:

Disney, Fox and most of the biggies are too smart for this. They stagger their contract end dates. Thus by doing this, they prevent this from happening. If DISH took down ESPN while they were still in contract at the same time Time Warner and DTV legitimately had their contract terms ending, a court order would simply force DISH to put ESPN back up.

All the biggies make sure their contracts end at different years or times during the year to prevent this very thing from happening.

Nice idea, not going to happen. Plus, it's collusion, which is illegal. :lol:

#249 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:14 AM

Does an HD channel cost D more than an SD channel to transmit ?

Yes, in a number of ways if you truly count the opportunity costs, the equipment needed, etc.

One HD channel is about 5 or 6 SD channels. So capacity is a cost value trade component in this.

The encoders are more expensive.

Then you have the downstream costs in that DTV has their HD signals on Ka and they are more suspectible to rain fade than the SD signals on Ku. As a result, more calls to their call centers which leads to more costs. Longer install times, more expensive dish than a 18" SD dish, etc, etc.

At some point those costs will equalize a bit, but not entirely. Years down the road when DTV can put some of their HD channels at Ku and use a different dish, it will reduce the rain fade issue, reduce some of the hardware costs.

To do it right, all these costs (both real and opportunity) have to be factored in and it does cost them more to transmit HD than SD for just some of the reasons stated.

#250 OFFLINE   huskerhead

huskerhead

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:18 AM

If you arent under contract, which it sounds like you are not, just switch to Dish for two years, save money on their promo rates, then after two years, switch back to DirecTv as a new customer, and get the promos again.

I've done that a few times but the wife wants me to put a stop to that - trying to remember the channel #'s for each provider every two years is a hassle. Both services are equally good but now that Directv actually has a good dvr we'll probably stay with them after our contract is up in July. If something changes I'll have no problem switching providers again (well, except for the wife). No reason to be true to a company providing a service - they certainly do not care about us (whoever the company is).

#251 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:20 AM

I completely understand what you are saying but I see a different result in the long run. Short term, everything you said is correct. But as the fees for ESPN continued to climb and more people dropped them, they'd be getting even less than they started out with. Then the decision is theirs, either stop making these ridiculous overpriced deals like MNF, keep doing so and have less and less people supporting it because their price continues to sky rocket, or go out of business. As I've said before, none of these stations like ESPN want a higher tier/sports tier/etc because when they see their $$$ decline as less people pay for it they will know how important they really are and lose their upper hand in any further negotiations making their threats worthless.

I'm with SR on this one for a couple of reasons.

The people in this country that are sports fanatics carry a big stick and they want their football, baseball, basketball, college sports, etc. If you pull back on the television contracts, the money for salaries, stadiums, etc takes a big hit. The money has to come from somewhere, right now it's television. Those salaries of players are not going to go backward in any meaningful way and television rights is the most efficient and least costly per consumer to pay for them.

If ESPN were to go out of business, someone else would step into the vacuum and pay it.

We could go back the last 40 years and see how many fans scream about player salaries and the costs of sports, but the ratings remain strong, the stadiums are largely filled and the train keeps on moving.

We can go back and read the threads here on DBS, I'd bet, and each year the price increases come and predictions of gloom and doom follow but never happen.

There is no alternative threat for sports right now. Netflix or Hulu or anyone like that isn't going to be able to offer sports with the $$$ needed to grab those products and distribute. Nor are the leagues going to cut off the money supply they get from the networks and the distributors.

I don't see this ending for decades, if at all.

#252 OFFLINE   tomski35

tomski35

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:22 AM

If they're going to increase pricing, they better fix the speed issue with the boxes. The new GUI didn't fix the issue. I'm going to have a hard time convincing the wife it's worth it stay with DTV.

#253 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:25 AM

For some it is not an "inability to grasp this simple concept". It is the principle to control which channels they pay for and the power to tell channels such as ESPN to stick it in their ear.

If your favorite grocery store decided to tell Coke to stick it in their ear and no longer carry their products, what would happen to that store's business?

If your favorite sporting goods store decided to tell Nike to stick it in their ear and no longer carry their products, what would happen to that store's business?

There are simple realities here. Every distributor must carry ESPN or become a bit player. That is reality. The distributors know it, ESPN knows it. Thus, ESPN can demand rates that are in the stratosphere because no carrier wants to be without them and watch millions of their customers who don't give a damn about a $3 increase per month leave. That is reality.

It's easy for any of us to sit behind a keyboard and say DTV or TWC or DISH needs to play hardball and show ESPN or HBO or Fox or FILL IN THE BLANK who is boss. Then there are the realities and the repercussions that go along with choosing that path.

#254 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:30 AM

Could you quantify what the Entertainment pack sacrifices to cost less than Choice?

I've heard through the grapevine in the industry that it will not include your regional sports networks as part of the base package. So in Chicago, you would not receive your local sports teams that are on CSN Chicago. In Los Angeles, you would not see the Lakers on Fox Sports West or the Angels on Prime Ticket.

Regional sports fees are very high in certain parts of the country. Imagine the cost to DTV in the New York area with four regional sports fees (MSG, MSG+, SNY, YES) vs what they have to pay for in Milwaukee for example.

#255 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:32 AM

If they're going to increase pricing, they better fix the speed issue with the boxes. The new GUI didn't fix the issue. I'm going to have a hard time convincing the wife it's worth it stay with DTV.

What box do you have? The new UI is wonderful and much faster for our boxes.

#256 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:42 AM

If your favorite grocery store decided to tell Coke to stick it in their ear and no longer carry their products, what would happen to that store's business?

If your favorite sporting goods store decided to tell Nike to stick it in their ear and no longer carry their products, what would happen to that store's business?

There are simple realities here. Every distributor must carry ESPN or become a bit player. That is reality. The distributors know it, ESPN knows it. Thus, ESPN can demand rates that are in the stratosphere because no carrier wants to be without them and watch millions of their customers who don't give a damn about a $3 increase per month leave. That is reality.

It's easy for any of us to sit behind a keyboard and say DTV or TWC or DISH needs to play hardball and show ESPN or HBO or Fox or FILL IN THE BLANK who is boss. Then there are the realities and the repercussions that go along with choosing that path.

You misunderstood what I was saying. I wasn't suggesting D* tell ESPN to stick it. I was suggesting that individual viewers could tell ESPN to stick it by not subscribing to their channels if they had a la carte.

#257 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:48 AM

I've heard through the grapevine in the industry that it will not include your regional sports networks as part of the base package. So in Chicago, you would not receive your local sports teams that are on CSN Chicago. In Los Angeles, you would not see the Lakers on Fox Sports West or the Angels on Prime Ticket.

Regional sports fees are very high in certain parts of the country. Imagine the cost to DTV in the New York area with four regional sports fees (MSG, MSG+, SNY, YES) vs what they have to pay for in Milwaukee for example.

That makes sense, and if it were so and ESPN, ESPN2 and Golf were included in the package and still have the other non-sports channels I like, then I may move to that package.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#258 OFFLINE   Podkayne

Podkayne

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:01 AM

Having been with DTV since Sept. 1994, (the old DTV + USSB days) I've seen a lot of price increases and the caterwauling that go with it. Local cable and phone/fiber optic companies are really starting to compete hard for my TV service, and I've just recently started to look at the alternatives.

I have decided that my "Choice Ultimate" would be for me to subscribe to the 15 or so channels that I actually watch and let the other 3,000 go dark. The first provider that offers me the level of flexibility to watch what I want, and pay for only what I watch, will win my business.

Am I just dreaming, or is someone going to develop an entertainment-providing business based on an ala-carte model? The first entrepeneur to develop such a sustainable business will indeed make a fortune. I know just by reading this thread that I am not alone in this line of thinking.

#259 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:20 AM

I mostly watch fooltball and mostly on Sundays if I do. I just realized I can do without ESPN since I don't watch football on Monday nights. In fact, I get all the football I need with the major networks. I don't care for other sports on TV.

#260 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:30 AM

You misunderstood what I was saying. I wasn't suggesting D* tell ESPN to stick it. I was suggesting that individual viewers could tell ESPN to stick it by not subscribing to their channels if they had a la carte.

I would think that ESPN's deal is that want to be on basic tiers or no deal at all. That's what happened with the NFL network. TW wanted them on their sports package and NFL wanted to be on basic and get a ridiculous premium for what they offered and make all subscribers pay. TW said no, and there was no deal. That, however, caused some Cowboy fans (because of two games), to jump ship to D*. TW stuck to their guns on this one. But they do have ESPN on their basic lineup.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...