Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Directv Prices

• Please log in to reply
808 replies to this topic

#261 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:31 AM

You have Free HD for life, or Free HD for two years? In either case, a promo doesnt start a contract, only activating a new box does. If it hasnt been two years since you activated your HD box tho, then yea, you are stuck with the rest of us...Watching our money go to FOX :)

I'm an existing long time customer, so naturally DirecTV treats me worse then a new customer by giving them the lifetime and me the 2yr :rolleyes:. Hmm... thinking back, I know I switched to auto-pay to get the 2yrs, and I also started bundling with AT&T to save more $$$. I think there was something where I had to re-up for 2yrs, but maybe I'm high :grin:.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#262 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:37 AM

I was glancing through old threads, curious to see how much my bill has changed over the years, and I found this. http://www.dbstalk.c...709#post2023709

1998 Total choice PLATINUM 47.99
1999 Total Choice $29.99
2000 Total Choice $31.99
2003 Total Choice $33.99
2004 Total Choice $36.99
2005 Total Choice $41.99
2006 Total Choice $44.99
2007 Total Choice $47.99
2008 Total Choice $50.99
2009 Total Choice $53.99
2010 Total Choice $57.49
2011 Total Choice $60.49
2012 Total Choice $64.49

I've been a customer since 2004, so I have seen a 74% increase in my rate. Not to continue the war over is it fair to increase prices, but that seems probably inline with what D* has incurred from networks.

What has me and most others mad is that NOTHING else has increased at the same rate. Think back to all your bills: gas, power, electric, phone, internet, etc. over the same time period. Assuming you didn't add new features, NONE of those items has doubled since 2002. Has your salary? Mine has only gone up roughly 60% and thats only a factor of adding more years experience.

As far as DISH goes, well, I think if you look back to 2002 and compare DISH prices, you'll see they have moved pretty much lock step with DirecTV.

#263 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:40 AM

As I usually do when there is a price increase coming I look at alternatives and this is the first time that the alternatives will be cheaper for me. If the $10 HD credit goes away it will be a large enough increase that I will reduce or drop dtv or switch to another provider. It sucks, I love dtv and have been with them since 95 but I have reached my limit on what I am willing to pay.

Yeah, companies don't care. They know that not everybody is going to leave, just a small outspoken minority. You can see a clear example of this with Netflix. They doubled prices overnight and everybody screamed and claimed they were going to quit. In the end, they lost 1M out of 12M customers. Whoopee! Sure the stock went from $300 to $70, but really, what is 1M out of 12M? Almost nothing.

#264 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:44 AM

I would definitely LOVE to see ESPN, etc. moved to a separate package since they are the biggest rate increasers. I have ZERO interest in sports and would much rather get channels I watch. I know a la carte doesn't work in general, but its also pretty clear that sports nuts are generally willing to pay anything to watch sports. So let those that want sports foot the bill for it. Most of the other sports channels are already extra anyways.

#265 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,649 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:08 PM

What has me and most others mad is that NOTHING else has increased at the same rate. Think back to all your bills: gas, power, electric, phone, internet, etc. over the same time period. Assuming you didn't add new features, NONE of those items has doubled since 2002. Has your salary? Mine has only gone up roughly 60% and thats only a factor of adding more years experience.

As far as DISH goes, well, I think if you look back to 2002 and compare DISH prices, you'll see they have moved pretty much lock step with DirecTV.

Your comparing apples with oranges. The services you mentioned have a fraction of the technological demands DirecTV has. The services you mentioned don't have yearly negotiations with content providers that result is fee raising. They don't have a fleet of satellites to maintain nor the need for R & D for new satellites not to mention storage, transportation, and launch fees for the new satellites. The demand for improvement and upgrading is minuscule to those DirecTV faces. Those upgrades and improvements come with a price.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#266 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,877 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

Don't you have to compare DIRECTV's prices to the rest of the service providers?

It's kind of unfair to compare it to other sectors of the economy?

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#267 OFFLINE   VelvetUn

VelvetUn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:40 PM

As others have pointed out, your comparison is to commodities that are entirely different than TV service. However, gas prices in 2004 (my reference point for starting service) were $1.85, according to the U.S. Dept. of Energy. The average gas price in the nation today, according to AAA is $3.24. That is a 75% price increase.

#268 OFFLINE   xov

xov

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

DirecTV prices have doubled since 2000 (not 2002). That's 100% over 12 years, or an average of 6% per year compounded. That's more than some things but less than others (college tuition and healthcare, for example).

I'm not rich, but for me the hassle of switching providers is not worth the cost.

And it's clear (to me anyway) that an a la carte business model is not currently practical for any of the providers. So we can complain all we want, but the reality is we can stick with DirecTV or go somewhere else. Our choice.

#269 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:11 PM

Your comparing apples with oranges. The services you mentioned have a fraction of the technological demands DirecTV has. The services you mentioned don't have yearly negotiations with content providers that result is fee raising. They don't have a fleet of satellites to maintain nor the need for R & D for new satellites not to mention storage, transportation, and launch fees for the new satellites. The demand for improvement and upgrading is minuscule to those DirecTV faces. Those upgrades and improvements come with a price.

That's true in some regard, but remember, the majority of the new satellites are to provide LIL support. OK, I'm paying for the Los Angeles locals since that's what I use and that's on the main bird. So is New York.

Should I have to pay for everybody elses locals? Probably not. I don't even have access to them.

I also would bet various body parts that if you took a survey of DTVs 20M customers, the vast majority would have rather kept the SD GUI and kept the monthly bill lower vs. the HD GUI.

I'd also bet another body part that if those 20M customers had the option of "pick either LA or NY locals or your bill will go up $10/month to pay for the new birds" the vast majority would say "hey, LA/NY is good enough". :D

Anyways, the point is... I like bells and whistles as much as the next guy, but the majority of the bells and whistles that DTV has added over the past few years, I have ZERO interest in and feel a little annoyed that I have to pay for them.

P.S. my electric company just upgraded to remote readable meters... guess how much that cost me? $0.

#270 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:15 PM

Lol, ok guys, I concede. I am kind of comparing apples to oranges :). DISH has gone up as much as DTV.

ISP is certainly not a commodity and thats got technology. My ISP bill has actually gone DOWN while my speed has gone UP.

Seems like my local cable company is about the same price.

#271 OFFLINE   racermd

racermd

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

Anyways, the point is... I like bells and whistles as much as the next guy, but the majority of the bells and whistles that DTV has added over the past few years, I have ZERO interest in and feel a little annoyed that I have to pay for them.

P.S. my electric company just upgraded to remote readable meters... guess how much that cost me? $0.

You make a good point with the electric meter but, ultimately, you're paying for new features whether you want them or not and whether you get them or not. The cost for D* to do anything ultimately comes out their revenue. Whether they choose to dip into their profits to pay for it (like your electric company apparently did for that fancy new meter), raise rates to offset the cost (so they can keep the profits), or some combination is up to them. Well, ultimately, it's up to the subscriber base (including you and me) to accept the new rates.

Personally, I would like to see D* open things up a bit for customers that want to bring their own equipment like has been done with cable with cableCARD. Charge me per tuner, fine. Just give me the ability to attach those tuners to my own equipment so I can build out my own whole-home DVR solution without funding a bunch of R&D on equipment that will ultimately be less than fully adequate. I get that engineering a good product for the masses means making a bunch of compromises and testing the dickens out of everything. I'll save D* the money of doing those tests and building a bunch of boxes - let me roll my own. I'm a smart guy and can generally support my own stuff.

#272 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,877 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:38 PM

Lol, ok guys, I concede. I am kind of comparing apples to oranges :). DISH has gone up as much as DTV.

ISP is certainly not a commodity and thats got technology. My ISP bill has actually gone DOWN while my speed has gone UP.

Seems like my local cable company is about the same price.

I thought the internet was considered a commodity...but I could be wrong.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#273 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:46 PM

Whether they choose to dip into their profits to pay for it (like your electric company apparently did for that fancy new meter), raise rates to offset the cost (so they can keep the profits), or some combination is up to them.

Well... I'm guessing the new meter probably costs them $200 to $300 installed. Maybe even $500. In this case, the motives are obvious. They can get rid of all the meter reader jobs which means no more salaries, trucks, insurance, pensions, training, scheduling, etc. With all the people they can get rid of, they are probably going to break even the first year or sooner.

#274 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:51 PM

Well... I'm guessing the new meter probably costs them $200 to $300 installed. Maybe even $500. In this case, the motives are obvious. They can get rid of all the meter reader jobs which means no more salaries, trucks, insurance, pensions, training, scheduling, etc. With all the people they can get rid of, they are probably going to break even the first year or sooner.

Computers=The worlds greatest convenience and worst creation.

#275 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:11 PM

I've heard through the grapevine in the industry that it will not include your regional sports networks as part of the base package. So in Chicago, you would not receive your local sports teams that are on CSN Chicago. In Los Angeles, you would not see the Lakers on Fox Sports West or the Angels on Prime Ticket.

Regional sports fees are very high in certain parts of the country. Imagine the cost to DTV in the New York area with four regional sports fees (MSG, MSG+, SNY, YES) vs what they have to pay for in Milwaukee for example.

then what is the $2 fee for?? Will you be able to take Entertainment and add RSN's for $2?

on dish At120 does not have RSN's but for $5 more AT120+ does + big ten for people in the big ten area.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#276 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:15 PM

If your favorite grocery store decided to tell Coke to stick it in their ear and no longer carry their products, what would happen to that store's business?

If your favorite sporting goods store decided to tell Nike to stick it in their ear and no longer carry their products, what would happen to that store's business?

There are simple realities here. Every distributor must carry ESPN or become a bit player. That is reality. The distributors know it, ESPN knows it. Thus, ESPN can demand rates that are in the stratosphere because no carrier wants to be without them and watch millions of their customers who don't give a damn about a $3 increase per month leave. That is reality.

It's easy for any of us to sit behind a keyboard and say DTV or TWC or DISH needs to play hardball and show ESPN or HBO or Fox or FILL IN THE BLANK who is boss. Then there are the realities and the repercussions that go along with choosing that path.

The grocery store does not force all people to buy coke to get other stuff.

#277 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

You make a good point with the electric meter but, ultimately, you're paying for new features whether you want them or not and whether you get them or not. The cost for D* to do anything ultimately comes out their revenue. Whether they choose to dip into their profits to pay for it (like your electric company apparently did for that fancy new meter), raise rates to offset the cost (so they can keep the profits), or some combination is up to them. Well, ultimately, it's up to the subscriber base (including you and me) to accept the new rates.

Personally, I would like to see D* open things up a bit for customers that want to bring their own equipment like has been done with cable with cableCARD. Charge me per tuner, fine. Just give me the ability to attach those tuners to my own equipment so I can build out my own whole-home DVR solution without funding a bunch of R&D on equipment that will ultimately be less than fully adequate. I get that engineering a good product for the masses means making a bunch of compromises and testing the dickens out of everything. I'll save D* the money of doing those tests and building a bunch of boxes - let me roll my own. I'm a smart guy and can generally support my own stuff.

or at least get rid of the 2 year lock in to add boxes like how most of the cable co's do it.

#278 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:21 PM

I don't like paying an extra $6 a month, but I love the self-righteousness of all the anti-"greed" posters here who pretend they wouldn't try to maximize profits if they owned a high-demand product.

#279 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,737 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:14 PM

Don't you have to compare DIRECTV's prices to the rest of the service providers?

If the service is entertainment it seems fair. Comparing DBS to utilities such as electric, water, gas and phone service is a stretch - especially with the regulation on such utilities.

It would be a stretch, but there are a lot of service industries such as food service which could be inappropriately compared. After a while you end up with something big, like the consumer price index, that one could compare DirecTV's price increases to. But there are industries that are above and below that average.

At first blush cable/DBS seems to be above average in price increases ... but there is a lot more service being provided now than 10 years ago. If one could roll back the price to match the average consumer price increase would one accept the channel list and features that were available 10 years ago at the 10 year plus inflation price? Probably not. People WANT the improvements to the service. Improvements cost money.

#280 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

There are customers without locals in their base package, I am one of them.

DTV wanted to compete with cable and DISH so they added local channels. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. Yes, it would save you a few dollars if they never went down the locals path, but they also would be stuck around 10Million customers if not less and that would mean a lot of other things, including the possibility that DTV doesn't even exist.

I didnt say get rid of them, I said give us the choice to OPT OUT of them, like we do with the Sports pak, HD Extra Pack, etc. Make it a choice to add on or not.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...