Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Directv Prices

• Please log in to reply
808 replies to this topic

#321 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

And SD is useful to some, even with HD. It may still work during a rainfade event, and if you record a program that airs in SD, it's better to record off the SD feed. That's becoming less of an issue though.

But no, I certainly wouldn't want a fee to use the iPad app, a fee to use the iPhone app, a fee to use DirecTV2PC, TVApps etc etc. the MRV fee is enough.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#322 OFFLINE   bigtom

bigtom

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:55 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...316#post2929316

has the list DIRECTV does not carry and should so they could justify the high prices they charge now.

ALSO stop making people (who have no need / no interest / no desire) pay for feautres - IPAD STUFF - CELLPHONE - TO GO AND ETC

spread the cost only to the users who use them not the entire subscription base - in other words - stop illegally forcing the people who do not use the service to partially for it.

Investing money into the research and development of features to attract and retain subscribers benefit you as well. This increases revenue that can be spent to agree on a contract with History Networks to carry yet another military channel, or better still, more HD channels!

Edited by bigtom, 29 December 2011 - 08:05 PM.

#323 OFFLINE   A_Bear

A_Bear

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

This is what D* says

'We must reserve the right to adjust our prices as necessary. more information can be found in our customer agreement or online at www.directv.com/agreements'

#324 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:08 PM

IF that was a valid argument - only need 1 of each "genre channel" then we would have only 1 sports channel and only 1 womens network and so on... BUT each channel while in the same gnre handle and show different aspects of that genre and so both are needed to be carried....

same way FOOD NETWORK AND THE COOKING CHANNEL both cover food BUT the cover it from different avenues

A good example of HD wasted on what I consider bull corn channels that I never watch but have to pay for.

#325 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

And SD is useful to some, even with HD. It may still work during a rainfade event, and if you record a program that airs in SD, it's better to record off the SD feed. That's becoming less of an issue though.

But no, I certainly wouldn't want a fee to use the iPad app, a fee to use the iPhone app, a fee to use DirecTV2PC, TVApps etc etc. the MRV fee is enough.

I agree with you. In addition, I spent a lot on my big screen HD and audio system. Why would I want to watch tv on a little screen? I can understand using a laptop to watch DVD's or connect to the internet when one travels, but watching D* programming on a little screen?

#326 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

record profits each and every quarter must mean they need price increases....... The greed will be the end of the company one day!

I know as soon as I can get a fast internet connection at my house so I can get NHL and NFL over the net I will be gone! They keep increasing the cost but hardly any new relevant channels that i watch. Just not worth it to me anymore and all of these price increases just further drive me away.

Nah, record profits means that they're doing something right. You see, people voluntarily give them money in return for their products. They don't shake people down. They don't practice extortion. They provide a luxury service that is in high demand. At what point does success become greed? Give me a number.

I mean, gosh, even you admit that there's no better option for you today. So you keep giving them money. Then you complain that too many people are giving them too much money.

It's all very strange to me.

#327 OFFLINE   jzoomer

jzoomer

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:13 PM

Additional TV is simply a name change. The world is changing and in the future not everyone is going to need a receiver to have DIRECTV programming on other televisions. Nevertheless, that programming still needs to be mirrored on those devices through a server or other means.

It does fit their pricing model such as having customers buy their receivers and then charge them a lease fee.

The argument for mirroring with multiple DTV receivers was that there was "maintenance/bandwidth" issues with additional receivers. Now that the other receiver is not a DTV piece of hardware, this fee makes no sense.

I am surprise that no one has come up with an app to allow people to go through the maze of pricing. On the other hand, there are multiple prices for the same service depending on how much time you spend talking to a CSR.

Reminds me of the old style airlines (AA, Delta, TWA, Continental, Pan AM, etc.) with multiple seat prices, luggage, change fees. Too bad there isn't a Southwest Airlines of the media distribution companies to kick some butts.

#328 OFFLINE   MattScahum

MattScahum

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:27 PM

It does fit their pricing model such as having customers buy their receivers and then charge them a lease fee.

The argument for mirroring with multiple DTV receivers was that there was "maintenance/bandwidth" issues with additional receivers. Now that the other receiver is not a DTV piece of hardware, this fee makes no sense.

I am surprise that no one has come up with an app to allow people to go through the maze of pricing. On the other hand, there are multiple prices for the same service depending on how much time you spend talking to a CSR.

Reminds me of the old style airlines (AA, Delta, TWA, Continental, Pan AM, etc.) with multiple seat prices, luggage, change fees. Too bad there isn't a Southwest Airlines of the media distribution companies to kick some butts.

There isn't multiple prices for the same service. There is the regular pricing and then there are discounts that depending on what you already subscribe to on your account and your account history that you may qualify for. I'm not counting new customer pricing in that because that is obviously exclusive to them.
As for the additional tv/leased receiver fee it is exactly as it says. It is for independent digital programming on an additional television just like every other tv provider charges. You can certainly mirror other tvs off of it and avoid that charge but obviously you lose some functionality that an additional reciever provides.
Even though I am an employee, my thoughts/comments/ideas are mine and not affiliated whatsoever with Directv as a company/employer/etc.

~TV Setup~

Panasonic 42PZ80U
Onkyo TXSR606
Xbox 360 250gb Slim
Samsung BDP-1500 Blu Ray
DirecTV HR24-500 HD DVR
Monster Power 1600
Harmony One remote

#329 OFFLINE   jzoomer

jzoomer

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:50 PM

There isn't multiple prices for the same service. There is the regular pricing and then there are discounts that depending on what you already subscribe to on your account and your account history that you may qualify for. I'm not counting new customer pricing in that because that is obviously exclusive to them.

Exactly.

Full fare and discount fares. Sometimes travel is free due to customer loyalty programs.

#330 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:58 AM

Okay, so there's no difference in premium package (movie packages) pricing. But what are the prices for movie packages? The first is $15.99, but they allude to each additional package costing less than the one before. What is the pricing?

Additionally, what package is Golf network in? It's not in any base package except premier, and it isn't listed in the sports pack. I presume it's actually in the $12.99 sports pack despite not being listed?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out what my bill would be if I dropped some of my movie packs, and the info to indicate this doesn't seem to be easily available on DirecTV's site.
room 1:
HR34-700 through Sony STR-DA5300ES amp to LG 55" LE8500 LCD flat panel via HDMI. Discrete OTA.

room 2:
On break. I thought I'd get something in time for baseball, but...

AU9 SWM dish. Channel Master 4228 for UHF + big yagi for VHF w/CM7777 combiner/amplifier.

Connected via wired GigE to Apple Time Capsule base station.

#331 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,981 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:44 AM

Additionally, what package is Golf network in? It's not in any base package except premier, and it isn't listed in the sports pack. I presume it's actually in the $12.99 sports pack despite not being listed?

Golf Network is included in the current Choice Xtra and above base packages.

#332 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:18 AM

Basically, I'm trying to figure out what my bill would be if I dropped some of my movie packs, and the info to indicate this doesn't seem to be easily available on DirecTV's site.

When my promo pricing is over, I will pay approx $100.00. It looks like I'll have the Choice Extra Classic, HD service, one HR24, two H25's, whole home DVR, and the protection plan. No premiums and no additional channels.

That's a lot of money with a lot of bull corn channels in HD and SD, and less HD channels that I watch than TW, that I'm paying for. Why did I switch? TW got to expensive and I wanted to take advantage of the MVR and one year's promo price. After my contract is up, I will probably go Over the Air and Netflix.

In this town, we have a bunch of HD locals and that's not counting the local spanish stations that I rarely watch. TW had most locals in HD. I won't have DVR, but I've only had DVR for three months. I've done without it all my life. It's nice to have but not all luxuries in life can be justified. At some point I have to say no.

#333 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:34 AM

Is this a joke? You do realize that they charge you per kw/hr usage right? :rolleyes:

Why yes, yes I do BUT the price per kw/hr rates have gone up to equate out to a 18.00 a month increase in my electric bill, the electric company is now putting another RATE INCREASE in front of the PSC to recoup costs. That makes a total of 4 rate increases in less then 12 months.

Seems that the term rate increase holds true for utility companies also, they raise the cost of the kw/hr charge just like directv raises the cost of programming, sure seems to qualify as NOT being a joke but a valid comparision.

#334 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:23 AM

http://articles.lati...azarus-20111227

Article about price increases at Time Warner, some going up more than 50%
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#335 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:36 AM

It will be interesting to see if Apple has an impact some day:

http://news.cnet.com.../?tag=txt;title

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#336 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:18 AM

and Amazon, Google/YouTube, Hulu, Netflix... they're all trying to work out new ways to deliver video entertainment. It's just going to take a long time to break the current bundled cable/satellite model.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#337 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,739 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:53 AM

Question is will cable internet providers allow 3rd party streaming of cable networks?

#338 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:58 PM

Since it has been many years since I did something to restart my commitment, IIRC it used to be that those under a commitment kept the price structure in place when the commitment was started.

Is this still the case or I am misremembering?

#339 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:19 PM

Isn't this the first time Total Choice's price has risen above the Choice price?

Does anybody know DEFINITIVELY which channels I would lose/gain by dropping from Total Choice to Choice? (I know I would be saving only 50 cents a month, but I would also regain the ability to add or subtract packages online without having to call a CSR.)

#340 OFFLINE   A_Bear

A_Bear

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:40 PM

Okay, so there's no difference in premium package (movie packages) pricing. But what are the prices for movie packages? The first is $15.99, but they allude to each additional package costing less than the one before. What is the pricing?

HBO is the only one that is $15.99, all of the others (STARZ Super Pack, Sports Pack, Cinemax, and Showtime) are all $12.99 respectively

here is the combo prices as follows

without HBO
1st = $12.99
2nd = $11.01
3rd = $10
4th = $8

with HBO
1st = $15.99 (being HBO)
2nd = $11.01
3rd = $10
4th = $8
5th = $7