Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Directv Prices

• Please log in to reply
808 replies to this topic

#341 OFFLINE   A_Bear

A_Bear

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:46 PM

Isn't this the first time Total Choice's price has risen above the Choice price?

Does anybody know DEFINITIVELY which channels I would lose/gain by dropping from Total Choice to Choice? (I know I would be saving only 50 cents a month, but I would also regain the ability to add or subtract packages online without having to call a CSR.)

with choice package you gain

610 Big Ten Network
HD simulcast
306 HDNet
HD Access required.

313 Jewelry Television Network
447 ONCE (ESP)
Public Interest Channel. Multi-sat equipment required. 119 satellite.
284 Science Channel, The
HD simulcast
855 Great Standards
Multi-sat equipment required. (m)
853 Metro Blend
807 Rat Pack
878 Rock en Espanol
281 Velocity
HD Access required.

and you lose

257 Chiller
308 Cloo
618 FUEL TV
HD simulcast
218 Golf Channel, The (m) (SAP)
HD simulcast
283 Nat Geo WILD
276 National Geographic Channel
HD simulcast
251 Oxygen
869 Bailamos!
867 Be-Tween
877 Carnaval Brasileiro
Multi-sat equipment required.
831 College Rock
839 Flashback/New Wave
813 Folk Rock
828 Hallelujah
825 Hot Jamz (Hip Hop)
876 Mariachi
844 Old School Funk
823 Showtunes
841 Spike (Explicit)
868 The Playground
607 Speed
HD simulcast
603 Versus
HD simulcast
307 WGN America
HD simulcast

I dont think it is worth it, you would lose cloo network (I love to watch HOUSE) :P

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#342 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

610 Big Ten Network
HD simulcast
306 HDNet
HD Access required.

447 ONCE (ESP)
284 Science Channel, The
HD simulcast
855 Great Standards
853 Metro Blend
807 Rat Pack
878 Rock en Espanol
281 Velocity
HD Access required.

and you lose

257 Chiller
308 Cloo
618 FUEL TV
HD simulcast
HD simulcast
283 Nat Geo WILD
HD simulcast
251 Oxygen
869 Bailamos!
867 Be-Tween
877 Carnaval Brasileiro
831 College Rock
839 Flashback/New Wave
813 Folk Rock
828 Hallelujah
825 Hot Jamz (Hip Hop)
876 Mariachi
844 Old School Funk
823 Showtunes
841 Spike (Explicit)
868 The Playground
607 Speed
HD simulcast
603 Versus
HD simulcast
307 WGN America
HD simulcast

I dont think it is worth it, you would lose cloo network (I love to watch HOUSE) :P

I have Total Choice (with HD), and I know for sure that it includes channels from both your lists: BTN, HDNet, Science, WGN, NGC, Speed, and Versus. So I'm not sure I understand your lists.

#343 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:46 PM

610 Big Ten Network
HD simulcast
306 HDNet
HD Access required.

447 ONCE (ESP)
284 Science Channel, The
HD simulcast
855 Great Standards
853 Metro Blend
807 Rat Pack
878 Rock en Espanol
281 Velocity
HD Access required.

and you lose

257 Chiller
308 Cloo
618 FUEL TV
HD simulcast
HD simulcast
283 Nat Geo WILD
HD simulcast
251 Oxygen
869 Bailamos!
867 Be-Tween
877 Carnaval Brasileiro
831 College Rock
839 Flashback/New Wave
813 Folk Rock
828 Hallelujah
825 Hot Jamz (Hip Hop)
876 Mariachi
844 Old School Funk
823 Showtunes
841 Spike (Explicit)
868 The Playground
607 Speed
HD simulcast
603 Versus
HD simulcast
307 WGN America
HD simulcast

The list is in error. Time to get AAC fixed. ;)
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#344 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

In this day and age all HD channels that have the same lineup as their SD lineups, we should drop all the SD channels that are duplicate - make people upgrade to to HD so that could downrez the channels to sd tvs for people who dont have hd tvs yet....

all the initial cost in boxces and etc would be saved by every segment of the tv industry by less transmission fees and less equipment to main both channels

This day and age? More than half the country still has SD televisions. Most televisions still out there are SD. For every house that has 3 televisions, 1.3 of them are HD and 1.7 are still SD. The more televisions in the house, the ratio gets worse (meaning even more SD televisions).

The country isn't ready to do this yet and certain not at the cost that would require it, both by the consumer and by the companies delivering the signals. You're still a few years out, maybe longer. A TON of SD televisions out there in the real world.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#345 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:51 PM

It does fit their pricing model such as having customers buy their receivers and then charge them a lease fee.

The argument for mirroring with multiple DTV receivers was that there was "maintenance/bandwidth" issues with additional receivers. Now that the other receiver is not a DTV piece of hardware, this fee makes no sense.

That is not the only reason those fees exist. Secondly, the % of people that buy their receivers is extremely low.
DIRECTV employee

#346 OFFLINE   SaLance

SaLance

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

The list is in error. Time to get AAC fixed. ;)

You should know its not AAC since that is copyrighted :lol:
My thought and Opinions on this forum are my own and do not represent D*'s thoughts and Opinions

#347 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:06 PM

That is not the only reason those fees exist. Secondly, the % of people that buy their receivers is extremely low.

the phone company used to force to rent each phone in your house and now you buy them.

No in Candida systems you have the choice of rent or buy and shaw has rent to own. and with owned boxes no outlet or mirroring fees.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#348 OFFLINE   A_Bear

A_Bear

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:34 PM

I have Total Choice (with HD), and I know for sure that it includes channels from both your lists: BTN, HDNet, Science, WGN, NGC, Speed, and Versus. So I'm not sure I understand your lists.

I'm sorry, the information I (we) have is apparently outdated....I will look into this for you

Edited by A_Bear, 30 December 2011 - 05:05 PM.

#349 OFFLINE   A_Bear

A_Bear

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:35 PM

You should know its not AAC since that is copyrighted :lol:

very true :P agent answer center ha ha

#350 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,699 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:26 PM

You're still a few years out, maybe longer.

2014 when D14 and D15 launch? :D

#351 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

The grocery store does not force all people to buy coke to get other stuff.

My local supermarket, in fact, does make me spend $25 on groceries to get a reasonable price on Coke, however. Technically, you can buy Coke without the other stuff, but the price is insane. So long as you spend $25 elsewhere, Coke reverts to a reasonable price....

#352 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:36 PM

What has me and most others mad is that NOTHING else has increased at the same rate. Think back to all your bills: gas, power, electric, phone, internet, etc. over the same time period. Assuming you didn't add new features, NONE of those items has doubled since 2002. Has your salary? Mine has only gone up roughly 60% and thats only a factor of adding more years experience.

As far as DISH goes, well, I think if you look back to 2002 and compare DISH prices, you'll see they have moved pretty much lock step with DirecTV.

Inflation alone would've taken Total Choice from $29.99 in 1999 to about $40 today (using various online calculators which take compounded CPI. Everything over $40 is explained by some combination of (a) increased costs for DirecTV (B) increased operating profits for DirecTV.

#353 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:42 PM

Inflation alone would've taken Total Choice from $29.99 in 1999 to about $40 today (using various online calculators which take compounded CPI. Everything over $40 is explained by some combination of (a) increased costs for DirecTV (B) increased operating profits for DirecTV.

The channel lineup in 99 was also smaller than it is today.

#354 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:08 PM

The channel lineup in 99 was also smaller than it is today.

Yeah but the shopping channels pay to be carried. :lol:

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#355 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:15 PM

610 Big Ten Network
HD simulcast
306 HDNet
HD Access required.

447 ONCE (ESP)
284 Science Channel, The
HD simulcast
855 Great Standards
853 Metro Blend
807 Rat Pack
878 Rock en Espanol
281 Velocity
HD Access required.

and you lose

257 Chiller
308 Cloo
618 FUEL TV
HD simulcast
HD simulcast
283 Nat Geo WILD
HD simulcast
251 Oxygen
869 Bailamos!
867 Be-Tween
877 Carnaval Brasileiro
831 College Rock
839 Flashback/New Wave
813 Folk Rock
828 Hallelujah
825 Hot Jamz (Hip Hop)
876 Mariachi
844 Old School Funk
823 Showtunes
841 Spike (Explicit)
868 The Playground
607 Speed
HD simulcast
603 Versus
HD simulcast
307 WGN America
HD simulcast

Yeah, I've had Total Choice since 2002 and I've always had BTN and HDNet and those since they were offered. The only channel i've ever lost was ESPN Classic when they swapped it out for ESPNU. That's why it's always been such a great deal (comparatively).

#356 OFFLINE   tuff bob

tuff bob

Icon

• Registered
  • 645 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:26 PM

Anyone know, if I add a receiver now and I'm out of contract, does that lock my price for 2 years, and I won't be affected by the increase? Might effectively give me a sizable discount on a new HD-DVR :D
Half a DLB, Half a DVR.

#357 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

Anyone know, if I add a receiver now and I'm out of contract, does that lock my price for 2 years, and I won't be affected by the increase? Might effectively give me a sizable discount on a new HD-DVR :D

No. It just locks you into a 2 yr contract. During the contract, you can move around to different packages at will, but you dont lock in anything. That is only for new customers.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#358 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:24 PM

I've heard through the grapevine in the industry that it will not include your regional sports networks as part of the base package. So in Chicago, you would not receive your local sports teams that are on CSN Chicago. In Los Angeles, you would not see the Lakers on Fox Sports West or the Angels on Prime Ticket.

Regional sports fees are very high in certain parts of the country. Imagine the cost to DTV in the New York area with four regional sports fees (MSG, MSG+, SNY, YES) vs what they have to pay for in Milwaukee for example.

If DirecTV offered a so-called "entertainment" package with all the channels included in choice extra (or whatever it changes to) minus sports channels, I'd switch instantly. I NEVER watch ANY sports channel (I hate sports) and I know a lot of friends with DirecTV who also never watch sports either.

Sports fanatics will pay anything to support their "addiction" so they will gladly pay through the nose for ESPN, regional sports nets, etc.- with a smile on their face no less!! :rolleyes:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#359 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:39 PM

If DirecTV offered a so-called "entertainment" package with all the channels included in choice extra (or whatever it changes to) minus sports channels, I'd switch instantly.

I am pretty much the opposite. I had SELECT, and it had every channel I watch regularly, except for two, Golf and Speed. So, for those two channels, instead of paying $44.95 a month, I have to pay $65.99 a month. DirecTv knows what they are doing. They will always make sure there are at least two must have channels available only in the expensive packages.

Personally I wish they would have a "News" package, "Science" package, "Sports" package, "General entertainment" package, and "Non-Premium Movie" package. I wouldnt hesitate to sub to the News, Science, and Sports package, but have no interest in the entertainment channels or commercial laden movie channels.

It wont happen though, because #1, the channels themselves force the carriers into placing them everyones package so they can get revenue from 10 million rather than just those that are interested, and #2, Directv wont do it because in most cases, they would lose money, as people dropped channel groups, although if done right, that wouldnt need to be the case.

I dont see much changing until subscribers start dropping in droves from DirecTv, Dish, and cable...forcing the programmers to do something to retain customers.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#360 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:00 PM

2014 when D14 and D15 launch? :D

The industry believes SD will be alive and well beyond that.
DIRECTV employee

spam firewall