Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Directv Prices

• Please log in to reply
808 replies to this topic

#361 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:00 PM

The industry believes SD will be alive and well beyond that.

Gosh we hope not. LOL

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#362 OFFLINE   JcT21

JcT21

Legend

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

If DirecTV offered a so-called "entertainment" package with all the channels included in choice extra (or whatever it changes to) minus sports channels, I'd switch instantly. I NEVER watch ANY sports channel (I hate sports) and I know a lot of friends with DirecTV who also never watch sports either.

Sports fanatics will pay anything to support their "addiction" so they will gladly pay through the nose for ESPN, regional sports nets, etc.- with a smile on their face no less!! :rolleyes:

i was going to type something about this "entertainment package" but you said it for me. i completely agree with you. i do hope they offer a package like that. if they did i would switch in a heartbeat.

Xtra + HD Extra Pack
SiriusXM subscriber

#363 OFFLINE   jzoomer

jzoomer

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:13 PM

I cancelled another programming option to bring my bill down under $100 again.

My goal is about $100/month for my Directv bill. When I started with Directv, my bill included all the premium channels and a sports package. Now I am down to a basic package and many fees.

Next year I may have to cancel the basic package to cover the fees.

#364 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

I can see some channels staying SD but moving to mpeg4 or at least cable and sat moving to mepg 4 sd.

How long does directv plan to keep the out boxes out there??
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#365 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,744 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:03 PM

The channel lineup in 99 was also smaller than it is today.

(not count HD simulcast, HD Extra, locals, or DNS additions,) I count about 4-5 channels added since then that I care about. I would say there were more, but most of those channels were just re-brandings.

I have Total Choice Xtra. Not counting the local channels, the DNS channels, or the HD Extra package, there are 29 channels that I receive that I TRULY care about. I think that's why most people get upset... I honestly don't care about the majority of channels that I get, but unfortunately, I have to subscribe to a higher priced package in order to get the channels I do want.... not to mention fees to be able to watch it in multiple rooms, fees to record it, etc.

I'm not one to champion a la carte, because I don't believe it would work in reality, but it would be nice if one were to actually be able to have at least some say in customizing one's package... whether it be a set number of channels for a set amount, or decent theme packages...

I'm not complaining about the increases mind you, I've come to expect them, and continue hoping I can keep up with them for as long as possible. I'm just ranting...

~Alan

#366 OFFLINE   A_Bear

A_Bear

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:06 PM

I can see some channels staying SD but moving to mpeg4 or at least cable and sat moving to mepg 4 sd.

How long does directv plan to keep the out boxes out there??

As long as there is a demand, it will be supplied.

Ex. Rv customers that have auto-aligning dishes usually have an sd dish... Also the (no offence to anyone) elderly customers we have use sd alot aswell that I have noticed

#367 OFFLINE   A_Bear

A_Bear

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:11 PM

(not count HD simulcast, HD Extra, locals, or DNS additions,) I count about 4-5 channels added since then that I care about. I would say there were more, but most of those channels were just re-brandings.

I have Total Choice Xtra. Not counting the local channels, the DNS channels, or the HD Extra package, there are 29 channels that I receive that I TRULY care about. I think that's why most people get upset... I honestly don't care about the majority of channels that I get, but unfortunately, I have to subscribe to a higher priced package in order to get the channels I do want.... not to mention fees to be able to watch it in multiple rooms, fees to record it, etc.

I'm not one to champion a la carte, because I don't believe it would work in reality, but it would be nice if one were to actually be able to have at least some say in customizing one's package... whether it be a set number of channels for a set amount, or decent theme packages...

I'm not complaining about the increases mind you, I've come to expect them, and continue hoping I can keep up with them for as long as possible. I'm just ranting...

~Alan

I do agree my good sir.

Glad I get it all for free :P

#368 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,618 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:48 AM

I can believe that. Whenever I travel by car I notice there are far more SD dishes mounted on homes then HD dishes.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#369 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 557 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:00 AM

~Alan

I think I disagree a little bit. To me, the best thing about all these channels isn't that I watch them all allof the time, but the little gems I find that make me smile. I never watched Ovation until Slings and Arrows was on, now I'd like it in HD. I never even knew what Link TV was until Borgen started. Now I'm looking at some of their other programing. I don't watch religious or shopping channels, but I think they pay to be carried so they're not costing me anything.

Maybe it's because I'm old and remember the days of 4 channels in our home as a kid, but I just like to have the choices, even if I don't normally use them.

#370 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:41 AM

From what I've been reading one third of households are still SD only (multiple sources from Google). Not to mention the number of households that have both. Most people I know still have an SDTV.

It'll be years before we can get rid of SD.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#371 OFFLINE   F1 Fan

F1 Fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:58 AM

~Alan

I am with you - which is why at one point we gave up TV altogether - could not see the point of paying for things we hardly watched - even out of the 29 or so channels there was only maybe one or 2 programs a week worth watching and we could live without them (and did for 9 months or so).

When I first moved to the US (about 2004) a friend of mine had local cable tv and a package. He wanted Speed which wasnt in his package. But he called them and they add the channel for $5 a month.

I like that option. I would like to add a channel or two for that price and drop my package to a lower one. Adding too many means I would just be better getting the next package up. I think Directv could revisit this as I would suspect they would probably make overall.
HR34-700, HR24-100, 3x H25-100s, MRV on DECA, SWM16

#372 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:28 AM

I like that option. I would like to add a channel or two for that price and drop my package to a lower one. Adding too many means I would just be better getting the next package up. I think Directv could revisit this as I would suspect they would probably make overall.

I have always been a fan of the "package + 2" option. At $5 a piece, for channels probably costing DirecTv < 50 cents, I dont see where it would be a loss on their part either. Since the expensive channels (ESPN) are already mandated to be included in all packages except the loss leader (Family), it would be a good move on DirecTv's part, and the loss of revenue from those channels in the higher packs would cause those channels to rethink their worth.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#373 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:59 AM

http://articles.lati...azarus-20111227

Article about price increases at Time Warner, some going up more than 50%

Now you're starting to sound as dramatic as some of us when we post things. ;) The only thing increasing 50% is installation costs, which are negotiable. Although their programming costs do appear to be jumping more then DIRECTV's average of 4% that was mentioned.

Some rates will be significantly higher, such as a 27.4% increase to $17 from $13.34 just to receive local broadcast channels.Others will be modestly higher, such as a 9.5% increase to $69 from $63 for broadcast plus basic cable channels, or a 7.3% increase to $58.99 from $54.99 for the digital video package...

...Some of the biggest jumps in Time Warner's rates will be seen on the installation front. The cost of wiring your home for video, Internet or phone service will soar 51.5% to $49.99 from $32.99. Installing Time Warner's Wi-Fi service will jump 40% to $69.99 from $49.99.

Time Warner's Gordon said that these are just the "rack rates" and that most customers will pay less for installation after cutting a deal for their programming package.

HR34-700, HR22-100

#374 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

I am confused by the pricing.

I have the legacy HD-DVR package, which is going to $86.99 a month. It's basically the choice xtra package. I am getting a $10 HD credit at the moment. This nets to $76.99

Choice Xtra is going away it appears as of February, leaving Choice and Choice ultimate.

Choice Ultimate is $74.99 and Choice is $73.99; do these packages include HD? I can't tell anymore. I don't see the $10 HD charge listed. If so, would I be better off with Choice Ultimate?

Or trying to change to Choice Xtra before the package goes away?

What happens to my HD credit when the 24 months are up?

Am I basically paying more to be on a legacy package?

#375 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,594 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:44 PM

Now you're starting to sound as dramatic as some of us when we post things. ;) The only thing increasing 50% is installation costs, which are negotiable. Although their programming costs do appear to be jumping more then DIRECTV's average of 4% that was mentioned.

Agreed. The tone of the article seemed to be against Time Warner.

When the "rack rate" install increased was explained by TW as being driven by higher employee costs the article muses "Apparently Time Warner technicians are a lot better paid and are receiving significantly better medical benefits than they were a year ago." Health care costs ARE shooting up. The same medical benefits for 2012 as were offered in 2011 are much more expensive. And while that rate went up, it went up to under $50. I paid Comcrap $99 for Internet install in 2003 (and had to return the modem when I cancelled).

TW's increase seems to be the standard "cheap packages go up a higher percentage than expensive packages" approach. A couple of dollars on the cheapest package is going to appear to be a big jump. Just like when DirecTV raises a small fee by $1 --- doing the math to create a huge percentage increase isn't fair.

Also from the article was the story of a single subscriber who subscribes to a lot of stuff: "Brian Bentley, 48, of Hollywood has been a Time Warner customer for more than a decade. He gets basic cable service plus HBO, some sports channels, a digital video recorder and a couple of boxes for his two TVs." Mr Bently is expecting a 25% increase, $100 to $125. However, just to make TW sound worse he breaks it down by the hour. He claims he only watches 20 hours per month. Why he would pay $100 (soon $125) for 20 hours is his own fault! But it allows the author to push the $6.25 per hour subscription rate and make TW sound bad.

Of course most of the article's readers are probably happy to see TW slammed - whether or not it is fair. It is just another example of a big business putting the screws to the little guy and that plays well in the media. DirecTV's increase could be portrayed the same way - find the highest line item percentages and tell the most emotional charged stories possible to portray the company as bad.

And so it goes ... journalism today.

#376 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:20 PM

I can believe that. Whenever I travel by car I notice there are far more SD dishes mounted on homes then HD dishes.

From what I've been reading one third of households are still SD only (multiple sources from Google). Not to mention the number of households that have both. Most people I know still have an SDTV.

It'll be years before we can get rid of SD.

Mike

No no no no down with SD! :P

I still see SD dishes too, but lately I've been seeing more and more HD ones as well. I wonder how many of those SD dishes are hooked up to HDTV's?

I hope for the money D* is paying for these channels that the HD feeds are part of the new contracts.

#377 OFFLINE   A_Bear

A_Bear

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

I am confused by the pricing.

I have the legacy HD-DVR package, which is going to $86.99 a month. It's basically the choice xtra package. I am getting a $10 HD credit at the moment. This nets to $76.99

Choice Xtra is going away it appears as of February, leaving Choice and Choice ultimate.

Choice Ultimate is $74.99 and Choice is $73.99; do these packages include HD? I can't tell anymore. I don't see the $10 HD charge listed. If so, would I be better off with Choice Ultimate?

Or trying to change to Choice Xtra before the package goes away?

What happens to my HD credit when the 24 months are up?

Am I basically paying more to be on a legacy package?

Just to help explain

the prices you have listed are wrong

choice xtra will be $68.99 and choice ultimate will be $74.99

you have the hddvr package that is expired, the package includes the
dvr service (currectly $7 a months, and it will be $8 soon)
hd access ($10 a month)

without your current package you will see those charges appear on your bill in addition to the package you choose
ex. choice ultimate $74.99, hd access $10, and dvr access $7
were as you currently have just the base package hddvr that combines all of that

also, the choice xtra package will not go away, in face there will be 2 of them as follows

choice xtra classic (for the customers that have choice xtra prior to feb. 9th)
choice xtra (to customers that choos that package after feb. 9th)

also after 24 months are up you would then have to either

a.) not get a discount on you base package of hddvr
b.) call in and get renewed
c.) if you have another package as listed above then the $10 hd access fee would just not be credited any longer

Edited by A_Bear, 31 December 2011 - 03:15 PM.

#378 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,744 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:35 PM

I think I disagree a little bit. To me, the best thing about all these channels isn't that I watch them all allof the time, but the little gems I find that make me smile. I never watched Ovation until Slings and Arrows was on, now I'd like it in HD. I never even knew what Link TV was until Borgen started. Now I'm looking at some of their other programing. I don't watch religious or shopping channels, but I think they pay to be carried so they're not costing me anything.

I used to feel that way as well, but that was when money wasn't as tight, and my DirecTV bill wasn't so large. It's getting harder to justify the cost of having access to channels I rarely, if ever, watch.

If I made a lot of money, it probably wouldn't bother me, but in many ways, I make less money than I did 10 years ago, and yet DirecTV continues (like others) to take up bigger percentages of what I do make.

Hence why my feelings have changed on the matter...

Maybe it's because I'm old and remember the days of 4 channels in our home as a kid, but I just like to have the choices, even if I don't normally use them.

Until my teenage years, we only had five channels... and that was only when the weather was just right. What we did receive was rarely very clear...

~Alan

#379 OFFLINE   A_Bear

A_Bear

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:45 PM

Until my teenage years, we only had five channels... and that was only when the weather was just right. What we did receive was rarely very clear...

~Alan

That must be an old picture of you haha :lol:

jk my good sir

Edited by A_Bear, 05 January 2012 - 01:00 PM.

#380 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,744 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

That mus be an old picture of you haha :lol:

jk my good sir

Cable doesn't offer service here, and BUD's were always too expensive, so we dealt with antennas until 1995 when DirecTV became available.

~Alan

spam firewall