Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Directv Prices

• Please log in to reply
808 replies to this topic

#421 OFFLINE   skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:04 AM

I can't believe my contract is up in June. I'm really debating keeping DirecTV now.

If TWC got better cable boxes or at least a halfway decent looking GUI I'd switch to them. Unfortunately for me, they probably haven't. I can't go from this beautiful DirecTV HD GUI to the crappy TWC software that hasn't changed since I first got digital cable in 2004.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#422 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:39 AM

Well, whats to stop defections to DISH when the HD credit goes away? Both DTV and Dish are offering free HD for life for NEW customers. Existing customers on both providers get screwed.

Question for a_bear... not sure if he knows or can tell us, but I'm guessing out of the 20M DirecTV customers, VERY FEW are actually getting the $10 credit. Simply because they don't know about it. Lots of people just set it to auto pay and forget about it without even looking at the bill. Others simply pay the bill and aren't enthusiasts so they don't know about the deal. I'd be willing to guess that no more then 2 or 3M are getting the discount and the other 17M are continuing to pay full price. I know quite a few people who even if they knew about it would be too lazy to call in and get the discount. You know the type... you remind them once and get "Oh yeah, I was SO busy last night, I didn't get a chance!" and then you don't bother reminding them again :D.

I discovered that we get 20% off our cell phone bills through work, so I told 5 co-workers about it. You know how many actually took the 2 minutes to fill out the web form and get the discount? ONE.

#423 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:55 AM

Well, whats to stop defections to DISH when the HD credit goes away? Both DTV and Dish are offering free HD for life for NEW customers. Existing customers on both providers get screwed.

FYI: DISH is still offering "for life" to all existing customers. All the customer has to do is meet the same conditions as a new customer (paperless/autopay/2 year commitment) or pay a one time fee ($99). Life is as long as the account is active. Many customers were grandfathered "for life" when the deal was first introduced.

I wish DirecTV would call it "for life" for existing customers. It would lower the angst level. There are a lot of people who express the frustration you express that new DirecTV customers get it "for life" while existing customers are only promised "2 years".

I discovered that we get 20% off our cell phone bills through work, so I told 5 co-workers about it. You know how many actually took the 2 minutes to fill out the web form and get the discount? ONE.

I get 22% ... and the carrier doesn't check to make sure you stay employed so basically it is 22% "for life". And yes, getting people to sign up - even those paying the same carrier full price - is difficult.

#424 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:02 AM

Seriously? So if you can't get a discount you don't want to pay your bills? LOL

Wonders if he's like that with his other service providers (phone, electric, heat, ect.)?

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#425 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:27 AM

I've been engaging with Directv over the past few days on the HD issue, by telephone and by email; The jist of it all is that the HD promo runs through June for me and that's all they can tell me. They agree that new customers get a better deal if my HD credit is allowed to expire.

They also tell me that they have no plans to carry the Pac 12 Network. While this is a canned generic statement that they tell to everyone about any channel, I do wonder how that will shake out. We've still got 7-8 months on this.

Collectively these two issues may be enough to push me over the edge if they are not resolved to my satisfaction.

#426 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

Negative if you don't get HD you don't get a slimline dish.

EXCEPT in MPEG4 markets... ;)

#427 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:15 AM

Did I misread what the other guy wrote, or did you? He's definitely digging for more discounts or credits, but he's not saying he's not going to pay... rather, he's affirming that they already bill his credit card monthly....

No, you didn't misread it. He never said he wouldn't pay his bill.

Auto bill pay and paperless statements saves D* money. How much I don't know. Unless I'm wrong, logic tells me that D has software that automatically charges a customers credit card/account, the money is paid automatically to D*'s account, and the customers account is credited automatically.

When a customer sends a check, D* has to hire someone to open the payment envelopes, set up the coupons and checks, which logic tells me are run through a check reader and posts to the customers account and sets up the checks with a list and a deposit slip to go to D*s bank for posting to their account. It's possible that D* separates the checks by region in order to get a cheaper rate from their bank. Those that are rejected by the check reader have to be handled and posted manually.

Another possibility is that D* subscribes to a bank's lockbox service, which provides the above services for a fee, with the exception of posting the payments to D*'s customer. D* still has to do that. Just imagine the number of checks D* receives on a daily basis.

Another method is when a customer sets up auto payment through his bank, they will either send a check, either on paper, or electronically. No coupon goes with that method, so most likely D* has to post the accounts manually.

Why did I post this? That's to show that D* benfits from autobill pay. If not for Free HD, I would not let them charge my credit card. I would put them on autobill pay at my bank to send them a check monthly, either electronically or on paper. I really didn't want them to charge my credit card, but free HD talked me into it.

FYI, I worked in banking for 35 years in computer operations and check processing.

Edited by n3vino, 03 January 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#428 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,480 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

It is aggravating that we get these price increases every year, but we have to remember all of the providers satellite and cable do it, on a yearly basis. I just checked my local cable and to get what I have with DirecTV through them, it would cost me another $31.00 a month.
I just wish the percentage of my income increased as much as the price increases of the programing packages do each year. :rolleyes:

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#429 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:59 AM

No, you didn't misread it. He never said he wouldn't pay his bill.

Auto bill pay and paperless statements saves D* money. How much I don't know. Unless I'm wrong, logic tells me that D has software that automatically charges a customers credit card/account, the money is paid automatically to D*'s account, and the customers account is credited automatically.

When a customer sends a check, D* has to hire someone to open the payment envelopes, set up the coupons and checks, which logic tells me are run through a check reader and posts to the customers account and sets up the checks with a list and a deposit slip to go to D*s bank for posting to their account. It's possible that D* separates the checks by region in order to get a cheaper rate from their bank. Those that are rejected by the check reader have to be handled and posted manually.

Another possibility is that D* subscribes to a bank's lockbox service, which provides the above services for a fee, with the exception of posting the payments to D*'s customer. D* still has to do that. Just imagine the number of checks D* receives on a daily basis.

Another method is when a customer sets up auto payment through his bank, they will either send a check, either on paper, or electronically. No coupon goes with that method, so most likely D* has to post the accounts manually.

Why did I post this? That's to show that D* benfits from autobill pay. If not for Free HD, I would not let them charge my credit card. I would put them on autobill pay at my bank to send them a check monthly, either electronically or on paper. I really didn't want them to charge my credit card, but free HD talked me into it.

FYI, I worked in banking for 35 years in computer operations and check processing.

You can do autobill pay through EFT with them but it has to be setup through DIRECTV and not your bank.

Processing fees for checks are still cheaper per transaction than most CC fees when dealing with the average monthly payment DIRECTV gets.

The real benefit to automatic payment for companies is that it helps make their cash flow more consistent.

#430 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:01 PM

I get 22% ... and the carrier doesn't check to make sure you stay employed so basically it is 22% "for life". And yes, getting people to sign up - even those paying the same carrier full price - is difficult.

Yup... some people just don't like free money. They wouldn't mind it, of course, but not if it takes ANY effort on their part. Another great example is that last year, I told 7 family members / friends / co-workers, etc. about a checking account that pays 4.09% interest. They were skeptical at first, but I said there are a few catches: you have to use their debit card 12x a month (everybody uses their credit card at least 12x a month anyways, so just use a different card -- don't even have to enter the pin, just use their card like a credit card) and do 1 bill pay a month (which everybody also does anyways) through them. Not ONE person signed up. Haha... everybody said "sounds like too much of a hassle!" even though they are already doing the same exact thing at Bank Of America for 0.05% interest.

Oh well! :rolleyes:

#431 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

It is aggravating that we get these price increases every year, but we have to remember all of the providers satellite and cable do it, on a yearly basis. I just checked my local cable and to get what I have with DirecTV through them, it would cost me another $31.00 a month.
I just wish the percentage of my income increased as much as the price increases of the programing packages do each year. :rolleyes:

I just checked FIOS, and they're $65/month less than D*. If I bundle the TV-Internet-Phone service together, it's $75/month total for two years ($65 first year, $85 second year). So the FIOS TV service is $10/month. I also get a free HD whole-home DVR for a year and a free SD box for life. And more channels and better HD.

The price increase forced me to realize I'm an idiot for staying with D*. (I checked not to long ago, and the price was within $10 of D*). But it's been a good 16 years.

#432 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:23 PM

I just checked FIOS, and they're $65/month less than D*. If I bundle the TV-Internet-Phone service together, it's $75/month total for two years ($65 first year, $85 second year). So the FIOS TV service is $10/month. I also get a free HD whole-home DVR for a year and a free SD box for life. And more channels and better HD.

The price increase forced me to realize I'm an idiot for staying with D*. (I checked not to long ago, and the price was within $10 of D*). But it's been a good 16 years.

Thats just a promo price. After the promo is over, it goes up a lot.

There are "undocumented" discounts with DTV. -$10/mo for HD for 2yrs if you do auto-pay and an additional -$5/mo if you bundle with a land line like AT&T.

I would *love* to find something cheaper, but there really isn't anything after you look past promo prices. Kind of a PITA to switch providers every 2 yrs.

#433 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:32 PM

You can do autobill pay through EFT with them but it has to be setup through DIRECTV and not your bank.

Processing fees for checks are still cheaper per transaction than most CC fees when dealing with the average monthly payment DIRECTV gets.

The real benefit to automatic payment for companies is that it helps make their cash flow more consistent.

I was not talking about Electronic Funds Transfers. I was talking about checks being sent via electronic methods. When a bank's autopay system has a lot of checks going to a company, most of the time they do it electronically instead of paper. Two different things. EFT are set up through D* and the other is controlled totally by the customer.

The cash flow is more consistent but in addition, they eliminate float. Float is the time it takes a check to go from a depositor's bank to the payee's bank. Interest is most likely paid to D* based on how much is in their account.

I'ts hard to determine what it costs D* to process all those checks when you consider check handling and posting to accounts when you consider labor costs and benefits. Obviously it's to D*'s benefit to do auto bill pay or they wouldn't do it.

#434 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,272 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:38 PM

There are "undocumented" discounts with DTV. -$10/mo for HD for 2yrs if you do auto-pay and an additional -$5/mo if you bundle with a land line like AT&T.

I would *love* to find something cheaper, but there really isn't anything after you look past promo prices. Kind of a PITA to switch providers every 2 yrs.

Promo prices that are good for two years guaranteed are fine with me. That's the main reason I switched to FiOS in October -- I'm saving $40 per month. The hassle, and I agree it is indeed a hassle, of switching providers every two years is worth my total savings of at least $960.

Edited by billsharpe, 03 January 2012 - 02:11 PM.
removed two words from last sentence

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#435 OFFLINE   jzoomer

jzoomer

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

The entitlement mentality continues.

I always enjoy seeing the "E" card being played.

#436 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

Promo prices that are good for two years guaranteed are fine with me. That's the main reason I switched to FiOS in October -- I'm saving $40 per month. The hassle, and I agree it is indeed a hassle, of switching providers every two years is worth my total savings of at least $960.

Ok, so you are saving $1000 for two years (assuming you have all applicable "undocumented" DTV discounts)... does your time & hassle count for anything?

$1000 savings spread out over 2yrs? I don't know that I would bother for that because I would factor in changing out the equipment, the 4hrs I'd have to stay at home for the install, loss of recordings, season passes, to do list, etc.

#437 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

I have a land line through Verizon but when I called to get a discount I was told that's only in areas where FIOS TV wasn't available. That could be the case with AT&T as well.

#438 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:32 PM

Yep! which is the reason I swapped my xbox360 for a PS3 this past month. Also got my Roku box as well.

A good outside antenna is all that is left till I can get rid of the big bill each month. Once the NHL season is over I am gone. About the only thing that can change my mind at this point is if they substantially upgrade their 3D lineup.

You are almost verbatim what I'm strongly considering doing. The problem is I've tried an HD antenna several times in the years I've had an HDTV and i have nothing but problems with the signal. I've bought an outside one but I don't know how to install it or really who to even call.

#439 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

I have a land line through Verizon but when I called to get a discount I was told that's only in areas where FIOS TV wasn't available. That could be the case with AT&T as well.

I have AT&T and bundled. Might want to try playing CSR roulette a few times :).

#440 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,867 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

I always enjoy seeing the "E" card being played.

I've been considering starting a petition to ban it's use on DBSTalk... :P

Sure, there are some posters I've read who certainly do fit that bill... and I'm sure our installers and CSRs who post here deal with them quite frequently, but it gets used here FAR too much and FAR too liberally.

While I'm upset by the price increase, I knew it was coming, so I see no need to complain about it myself. Though I may have to suspend my service some this year due to financial reasons, I intend to stick with DirecTV a while longer. Another year or two, and I will probably have to give it up... even though a smarter me would give it up this year.

I believe I'm entitled to a reliable service for the prices set by DirecTV... HD simulcasts when possible, reliable equipment in order to view their service, and good customer service when I have an issue.

Other than that, I'm good. :)

~Alan

Edited by Alan Gordon, 03 January 2012 - 04:29 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...