Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Directv Prices

• Please log in to reply
808 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:32 PM

Since they're the same price, I'm assuming the "NEW Choice Xtra" is going to dump some of the channels that will remain on the now grandfathered "Choice Xtra Classic".

Since I've spotted a $4 increase for Choice Ultimate, I suspect that some channels will be shifted from Choice Xtra.

I did not see anything on the HD Extra Pack though, will that be lumped in the Choice Ultimate alongside some former Choice Xtra channels?

I am also curious about the Entertainment Package.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:35 PM

I did not see anything on the HD Extra Pack though, will that be lumped in the Choice Ultimate alongside some former Choice Xtra channels?

I noticed the lack of HD Extra myself, but it did say current special add on packages and movie packages were all remaining the same price, so just guessed HD Extra was included in that.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#43 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,811 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

Expired packages remain active until customers disconnect the package or their account.
Most services can be reinstated within 30 days.
Exception: Customers with Opcion Premier, Premier, or Lo Maximo with $0 DVR/HD-DVR service can't be reinstated after disconnection (no grace period).
After 30 days, services can't be reinstated, even if it was removed by mistake.

I might have a problem with this!!!!

I have Premiere with $0 DVR service and in the past if I had to replace my primary receiver, they had to drop my package to move it to the new primary receiver. And inevitably the Premiere would be restored but without the $0 DVR fee, so it ALWAYS had to be escalated to have the grandfathered status restored.

If I have a problem in the future with my primary, would DIRECTV consider my package "deactivated" as the old primary receiver is taken off of my account and a new receiver is made primary? If so, it says "no exceptions", so I just lost my grandfathered status...

#44 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,179 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:39 PM

Looks like $6 more for me as a Premier sub. After no increase last year I have no problem paying it. They also added a bunch of HD so it's cool.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#45 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

I noticed the lack of HD Extra myself, but it did say current special add on packages and movie packages were all remaining the same price, so just guessed HD Extra was included in that.

I stand corrected for now. I thought since the HDXP is mostly studio specific movie channels it could be on the same pack as Ultimate, which has Encore and TMC.

Or alternately, D* could include the HDXP with the HD Access.... who knows.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#46 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

I've heard they are also going to drop the line item that says "lease fee" listing for additional receivers on the bills and change it to "additional receiver."

I guess the term "lease" has been causing a lot of flack. It will cause some confusion for those with owned receivers.

#47 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

All those prices and options....almost as complicated as figuring out your own tax returns.

I'd say the increases are what I expected, but the wording borders on insanity... One word for D* "standardize" :lol:
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#48 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

Since I've spotted a $4 increase for Choice Ultimate, I suspect that some channels will be shifted from Choice Xtra.

I am also curious about the Entertainment Package.

And people with the old Choice Xtra will keep them?

Will some sports pack channels move in to Choice Xtra? Choice Ultimate to gain some sports pack channels?

Entertainment is quite less then choice / Choice xtra and the lack of ESPN, NHL, MLB, NBA, NFL, Big ten, VS / NBC sports network, TVG, Speed, CBS sports network, RSN's, golf, Fuel + others may make up the gap?

Now is there any chance to have a Entertainment pack they had to move some channels from sports pack to Choice / Choice xtra?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#49 OFFLINE   A_Bear

A_Bear

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:50 PM

Will some sports pack channels move in to Choice Xtra? Choice Ultimate to gain some sports pack channels?

Entertainment is quite less then choice / Choice xtra and the lack of ESPN, NHL, MLB, NBA, NFL, Big ten, VS / NBC sports network, TVG, Speed, CBS sports network, RSN's, golf, Fuel + others may make up the gap?

Now is there any chance to have a Entertainment pack they had to move some channels from sports pack to Choice / Choice xtra?

I do not think that the sports pack will lose channels, expecially to be moved to other packages.

#50 OFFLINE   csgo

csgo

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:30 PM

Looks like you have to want only Hispanic programming if you don't want DirecTV to stick it to you.

#51 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:08 AM

Based on past trends, I think those with the current Choice Xtra will keep the package as is and will deal with the price increase unless and until one changes the package after February.

I don't know which Sports Pack channels would be placed on a base package aside from the local RSNs. Are you thinking Outdoor Channel, Fox Soccer and GolTV?

#52 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 714 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:43 AM

I stand corrected for now. I thought since the HDXP is mostly studio specific movie channels it could be on the same pack as Ultimate, which has Encore and TMC.

Or alternately, D* could include the HDXP with the HD Access.... who knows.

If they are still charging you for this, currently there is still a way around it. It just requires effort by you every three months. :)

#53 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 584 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:17 AM

These new descriptions look like something the House and/or Senate wrote. Cheeze!!

#54 OFFLINE   robertk328

robertk328

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:47 AM

Fios Triple Play (for the first 2 years anyway) is looking about net $49/mo better (up from $43 better the other day) compared to my current 3 separate services. I really want to stay with DirecTV (been almost 8 years since I dumped Comcast) but it's getting to the point of feeling like a fool paying almost $600/yr more (not even counting the $250 Visa gift card promo) to watch TV. Once I see what the "Entertainment Package" is (hopefully everything without the sports) I'll have to decide.

I had fios Internet and phone installed but kept D*TV. Will have to see what this does to my bill - may make the switch easier, right as I'm getting the new HD GUI. Oh well!

#55 OFFLINE   facerw

facerw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:03 AM

Personally I think they shouldn't charge for HD and DVR services. Those are becoming more and more standard and think it's good to have to pay extra for this. Do you suppose we're not going to see HD fees anytime soon? Yeah I'm wishing but I hope so.

#56 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:08 AM

I had fios Internet and phone installed but kept D*TV. Will have to see what this does to my bill - may make the switch easier, right as I'm getting the new HD GUI. Oh well!

I've had FIOS internet for years but it's costing me $65/month. That plus DirecTV and my VOIP provider I'm at almost $185/month before increase. I can do FIOS triple play guaranteed for 2 years at $129 with similar features (except for my HR34 :( ) and get 25/25 internet instead of 20/5, plus HBO & SHO (don't get that with D*) plus a $250 VISA gift card. DirecTV equip is much better but it just reaches a point of diminishing values . If money was no object I wouldn't care but I'm retired (mostly involuntarily) and it's getting very tight. Maybe if I can wrangle $25/month in discounts I'd stick with them. I really hate to give up DirecTV but it's time to seriously look at the competition. I say this every year when the annual increase comes along but this is the first year that FIOS has MULTI-DVR MRV and 500GB hard drives around here. My daughter recently switched from D*->FIOS and is quite satisfied with it.

#57 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:15 AM

Personally I think they shouldn't charge for HD and DVR services. Those are becoming more and more standard and think it's good to have to pay extra for this. Do you suppose we're not going to see HD fees anytime soon? Yeah I'm wishing but I hope so.

IMO that won't happen for many years. If they do they will add it to a package and jack up the package prices to compensate. There would be too much loss of revenue to just drop it across the board. With the free HD promos they only give it to new subs and the few people outside of forums like this who even know it exists who call and ask for it.

#58 ONLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:20 AM

Another price increase and D* still looks to have little interest in giving Philadelphians a chance to see their local sports teams.. Sports leader everywhere but the Delaware Valley...

Their equipment still is sexy as hell though... :)

#59 OFFLINE   satjay

satjay

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:39 AM

These new descriptions look like something the House and/or Senate wrote. Cheeze!!

As strange as this sounds, it looks like they have taken a page from the Dishnetwork play book when it comes to all of these packages, interesting to see what the "entertainment" package will look like

#60 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:40 AM

Their equipment still is sexy as hell though... :)

Never thought of THAT TYPE of equipment as "sexy." I guess some people say their cell phones are sexy so why not DVR's. To each your own! :lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...