Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Directv Prices

• Please log in to reply
808 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:13 PM

I will be interested to see what channels are in the entertainment package. I love sports but really have no use for ESPN or any of their networks. I'd like the NFL Network but even if it's not in that package I don't watch it for 6 months out of the year either.

Satellite racer made it sound like espn would still be there.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07

Icon

• Registered
  • 705 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:19 PM

It appears that in the past few years, prices all over (not just DirecTV, but Time Warner Cable and I'm sure Dish Network as well, and there shouldn't be a single company out there that ISN'T) keeps on increasing at least three dollars.

Now think about it. Let's say it started 5 years ago (I know it's been longer than that). Think, 5 years from now. Everybody will have been paying $30 more than they did 10 years earlier. This isn't right. Not right at all. COLA has increased and yet not many have income increase.

#143 OFFLINE   HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07

Icon

• Registered
  • 705 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:22 PM

As long as people do not get carried away (over the top or off topic) these threads do little harm. They provide a good place for some to let of steam over the increases (better than punching the wife or kicking the dog) and let people come to terms over the new terms before they face their first higher bills.

I suppose if no one complained that might lead the providers into thinking that the market could bear an even greater price increase next year. So some complaining isn't a totally bad idea. :)

Think of it this way. In 10 years span, people will have paid at least $30 more than they did in the beginning. That isn't right.

#144 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:41 PM

No comparison between the oil companies and PayTV providers. Oil companies provide the most efficient energy available, bar none. A kilowatt of carbon-based energy costs as little as 4 cents, while the comparable solar or wind-turbine provided hour costs, on average, 25 cents.

The tiny system on my house will generate electricity for less than half of 25 cents / hour -- before accounting for tax credits and feed-through tariffs. I submit your information is out of date. There are also wind projects that are in single-digit pennies per kilowatt/hour. http://cleantechnica...for-0-70gallon/

I have no idea what this has to do with DirecTV and I'm not anti-carbon-based fuels as we need them for at least another couple of generations, but I find the facile dispensing of non-facts troublesome. So, sorry.

#145 OFFLINE   A_Bear

A_Bear

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:43 PM

I was just thinking could a person subscribe to the family pack on directv and add the HD pack and would you get all the channels in the hd package?

the answer to your question is NO, you will get the family channels that are included in that package (and what hd channels that also fall in that package)

and the hd extra pack inclues as follows

hd extra pack only includes the following
Price: $4.99/month
Channel Range: 560 - 568
channels:
Crime & Investigation
HDNet Movies
Hallmark Movie Channel
MGM HD
Palladia
ShortsHD
Smithsonian Channel
Sony Movie Channel
Universal HD

#146 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:49 PM

Ok, I trust you have a link / article to support that?

Well, aside from the fact that I worked in the industry and was CFO of a cable company.... And aside from the fact that this is a well known fact... And aside from the fact that I'm being incredibly arrogant in this answer because I'm tired of being challenged when I present facts...

"The fastest-growing expense is programming. The money the cable operators pay for the rights to channels like MTV, CNN and ESPN eats up just under $4 of every $10 they take in selling video service. Programming cost $1.0 billion at Time Warner in the first quarter, up 8 percent. At Comcast, programming cost $1.8 billion, up 9.6 percent. "

Source: http://bits.blogs.ny...-is-television/

"According to Matthew Harrigan at Wunderlich Securites, in 2009 DirecTV paid approximately $37/sub out of an ARPU of $85/sub to content owners for programming costs (i.e. affiliate fees). In this case, affiliate fees represent roughly 43% of total revenue for DirecTV. Similarly for Comcast, Matthew estimates programming costs at 37% of video revenue (Comcast has high-speed data and voice revenue that are separate). "

Source: http://abovethecrowd...world-go-round/

And there you have it. If your bill was $100, their programming costs were very approximately $40. If their programming costs went up 10% as they say -- which I don't doubt -- that's about $4 per month. They passed 100% of their increases on to you. Don't be naive and think otherwise.

#147 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:31 PM

I could only read a few pages on the phone so I figured I would cut to the chase.

Yes, programming costs are going up about 10% this year. Price increases about 4% on average for customers. Programming costs are the largest line item in Directv's budget. Billions of dollars.

Choice Xtra and Total Choice Plus customers will be merged into one package called Choice Xtra Classic. Both packages have the same channels. A new Choice Xtra will launch in Feb that is different than the current Choice Xtra. The reality is that the cost of programming continues to climb at such a steep pace that channel lineups are changing. Some channels will be moved to higher tiered packages because they are over distributed at the price they are valued at considering who is watching. In other words, they are more niche and should be available on a higher tiered packages to try and contain costs and the prices Directv needs to charge.

HD extra Pack is not going up in price. None of the premiums are increasing, though Premier base package is going up ( it includes premiums). Most bills will go up between $3 and $4. There are certainly customers that will see higher increases and many that will see less than that.

Based on what I have seen of price increases from Some of the cable and Telco companies etc, , this far, looks like Directv is very much in line with the competition. Everyone is being hit with major programming cost increases. When you see ESPN spending billions of dollars for Monday Night Football, that cost ultimately comes to customers of pay television. The network deals, the retrans deals, the premium increases each year, etc, etc. all contribute to huge cost increases each year
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#148 OFFLINE   xtoyz

xtoyz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:43 PM

I blame it on the 50k+ people who became irate when Fox threatened DTV last month, and they all demanded they suck it up and give it in. They gave in, and you're paying for it. Enjoy!

#149 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:46 PM

I could only read a few pages on the phone so I figured I would cut to the chase.

Yes, programming costs are going up about 10% this year. Price increases about 4% on average for customers. Programming costs are the largest line item in Directv's budget. Billions of dollars.

Choice Xtra and Total Choice Plus customers will be merged into one package called Choice Xtra Classic. Both packages have the same channels. A new Choice Xtra will launch in Feb that is different than the current Choice Xtra. The reality is that the cost of programming continues to climb at such a steep pace that channel lineups are changing. Some channels will be moved to higher tiered packages because they are over distributed at the price they are valued at considering who is watching. In other words, they are more niche and should be available on a higher tiered packages to try and contain costs and the prices Directv needs to charge.

HD extra Pack is not going up in price. None of the premiums are increasing, though Premier base package is going up ( it includes premiums). Most bills will go up between $3 and $4. There are certainly customers that will see higher increases and many that will see less than that.

Based on what I have seen of price increases from Some of the cable and Telco companies etc, , this far, looks like Directv is very much in line with the competition. Everyone is being hit with major programming cost increases. When you see ESPN spending billions of dollars for Monday Night Football, that cost ultimately comes to customers of pay television. The network deals, the retrans deals, the premium increases each year, etc, etc. all contribute to huge cost increases each year

Not if Directv gave them the middle finger and only came to a new agreement if they agreed to go in a higher tier or lower their price. At some point the battle with these channels has to happen. I don't want to see a $100 basic package cost one day and still be paying for HD, DVR, and box fees on top of that. Can you shed any light on the entertainment package Sat Racer?

#150 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,783 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:04 PM

Today via email I received the official notification from DIRECTV of the February 2012 rate changes. Here's their PDF:

http://f.cm.directv....GMJ792GMENG.pdf

#151 OFFLINE   bobvick1983

bobvick1983

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts
  • LocationNW Alabama

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:06 PM

ESPN should be broken out of all the packages and made a premium service just like HBO is.

DIRECTV
DIRECTV AU9-SL3 dish, SWM 16, HR44-700, HR24-100 2TB external HDD, HR24--200 1TB external HDD, HR24-200 1TB external HDD, HR21-700 receivers 2TB interal HDD, DECA Networked

C-BAND

7.5' SAMI C-Band dish, Chaparral Dual C feed, Norsat 8115C-Band LNB's, GEOSat Pro MicroHD, GBox V3000 Positioner

#152 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:06 PM

HD extra Pack is not going up in price. None of the premiums are increasing, though Premier base package is going up ( it includes premiums).

How about DNS feeds?

Is there any increase there?

~Alan<~~~~~~~Hoping the answer is no...

#153 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,783 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:08 PM

Satelliteracer: Can you address why DIRECTV continues to charge an HD access fee when many other providers do not? (For example, my local cable provider is Cablevision. All customers have access to SD and HD channels in all of their subscription packages, with no added fee for HD.)

DIRECTV has negotiated with most content providers to supply SD and HD channels and rates have gone up, as reflected in the rate increases. Why do HD users get "penalized" for wanting to watch HD - shouldn't the cost be built in to the base package price negotiated with the content providers?

Edited by Drew2k, 26 December 2011 - 07:14 PM.

#154 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:12 PM

Some channels will be moved to higher tiered packages because they are over distributed at the price they are valued at considering who is watching. In other words, they are more niche and should be available on a higher tiered packages to try and contain costs and the prices Directv needs to charge.

This is my personal fear.

In order to get the channels I want, I have to pay considerable money for channels I don't want in base packages in order to get the more "niche" channels I do want. :rolleyes:

Eventually, I'm either going to have to sacrifice some channels I enjoy in order to keep enjoying others, or I'm simply going to reach a point where I find it's not worth the costs to enjoy any of it... :nono2: :(

~Alan

#155 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

Satelliteracer: Can you address why DIRECTV continues to charge an HD access fee when many other providers do not? (For example, my local cable provider is Cablevision. All customers have access to SD and HD channels as part of their subscription package, with no added fee for HD.)

DIRECTV has negotiated with most content providers to supply SD and HD channels and rates have gone up, as reflected in the rate increases. Why do HD users get "penalized" for wanting to watch HD - shouldn't the cost be built in to the base package price negotiated with the content providers?

I remember when I signed up for two free years of "free HD." I was told that when my two years was up, I could get it again because DirecTV was working on something. My two years is up next year... :rolleyes:

~Alan

#156 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

This is my personal fear.

In order to get the channels I want, I have to pay considerable money for channels I don't want in base packages in order to get the more "niche" channels I do want. :rolleyes:

Then switch to Choice Xtra before February when it becomes "classic" ;)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#157 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:16 PM

Satelliteracer: Can you address why DIRECTV continues to charge an HD access fee when many other providers do not? (For example, my local cable provider is Cablevision. All customers have access to SD and HD channels in all of their subscription packages, with no added fee for HD.)

I don't think HD users are being penalized. I think SD users are getting a benefit. If they did away with the HD fee, I would bet that all packages would go up that same $10. In other words, HD users would pay the same, but SD users would have a $10 increase.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#158 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:20 PM

Then switch to Choice Xtra before February when it becomes "classic" ;)

I'm on Choice Xtra... ;)

I'm interested in hearing about "Entertainment" though... :confused:

I don't think HD users are being penalized. I think SD users are getting a benefit. If they did away with the HD fee, I would bet that all packages would go up that same $10. In other words, HD users would pay the same, but SD users would have a $10 increase.

Don't some cable companies charge extra for HD STBs over their SD STBs?

~Alan<~~~~~~~~Not particularly knowledgeable when it comes to cablecos...

#159 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:24 PM

Don't some cable companies charge extra for HD STBs over their SD STBs?

~Alan<~~~~~~~~Not particularly knowledgeable when it comes to cablecos...

They are all different, even the same company in different towns. Here is my town, Comcast (Xfinity) charges for the package and up to 3 standard def "converters" included. Each HD box or cablecard costs $8.50 per outlet, HD DVR costs $17.95 per outlet.

So my cost, assuming the package price is the same (they are close) would be $17 extra for my two HD Tivo's plus $8.50 for the spare room receiver: $25.50

DirecTv is $10 HD + $12 for the other two rooms, or $22.00 (and right now I am getting the $10 HD free).

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#160 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,783 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:27 PM

I remember when I signed up for two free years of "free HD." I was told that when my two years was up, I could get it again because DirecTV was working on something. My two years is up next year... :rolleyes:

~Alan

Good point about that ... for a while all new customers were given "free HD for life" while existing customers who called in were offered "free HD for 2 years". It will be interesting to see what kind of offer is still on the table when many of these latter customers reach their 2 year mark in 2012. Obviously the HD Access Fee (now the "Advanced Receiver-HD" fee) is not going away ...

I didn't know what to call it, but "penalized" seemed to work because the HD customers have to pay more upfront to acquire HD equipment than the SD customers, and HD customers end up paying $120 more annually than SD customers to be able to tune to HD channels that were most likely bundled as SD and HD channels by the content providers.

Other providers, like Cablevision, face the same choices when negotiating their packages but charge all customers the same package price with no HD access fee. To me that seems like a penalty on the DIRECTV HD customers...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...