Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Directv Prices

• Please log in to reply
808 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:37 PM

My family looks at it this way, Entertainment for a family of 4 for 31 days = about 1.25 a person per day. It is what it is sometimes you can get deals sometimes you can't but at the end of the day its not a bad deal when looked at the way we do.

We have premier with 3 DVR's and 1 HD receiver. There is a few other receivers that I choose to keep active on the account but have not included them into the picture.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#162 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:39 PM

Good point about that ... for a while all new customers were given "free HD for life" while existing customers who called in were offered "free HD for 2 years". It will be interesting to see what kind of offer is still on the table when many of these latter customers reach their 2 year mark in 2012. Obviously the HD Access Fee (now the "Advanced Receiver-HD" fee) is not going away ...

I didn't know what to call it, but "penalized" seemed to work because the HD customers have to pay more upfront to acquire HD equipment than the SD customers, and HD customers end up paying $120 more annually than SD customers to be able to tune to HD channels that were most likely bundled as SD and HD channels by the content providers.

Other providers, like Cablevision, face the same choices when negotiating their packages but charge all customers the same package price with no HD access fee. To me that seems like a penalty on the DIRECTV HD customers...

In all fairness you aren't required to have HD service. I do understand what you're saying but the same could be said from a cable customer who sees D* charges $7-$8 for a DVR fee per house, and their provider charges $10-$20 per DVR on top of the normal box fees. I've found it all pretty much comes out about even in the end, at least for what I sub to.

#163 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:40 PM

They are all different, even the same company in different towns. Here is my town, Comcast (Xfinity) charges for the package and up to 3 standard def "converters" included. Each HD box or cablecard costs $8.50 per outlet, HD DVR costs $17.95 per outlet.

So my cost, assuming the package price is the same (they are close) would be $17 extra for my two HD Tivo's plus $8.50 for the spare room receiver: $25.50

DirecTv is $10 HD + $12 for the other two rooms, or $22.00 (and right now I am getting the $10 HD free).

That's kind of what I was thinking.

Thanks! :)

~Alan

#164 OFFLINE   A_Bear

A_Bear

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:52 PM

They are all different, even the same company in different towns. Here is my town, Comcast (Xfinity) charges for the package and up to 3 standard def "converters" included. Each HD box or cablecard costs $8.50 per outlet, HD DVR costs $17.95 per outlet.

So my cost, assuming the package price is the same (they are close) would be $17 extra for my two HD Tivo's plus $8.50 for the spare room receiver: $25.50

DirecTv is $10 HD + $12 for the other two rooms, or $22.00 (and right now I am getting the $10 HD free).

you forgot the $7 a month dvr service fee

#165 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:57 PM

you forgot the $7 a month dvr service fee

I dont have a DVR fee with Comcast (own my own lifetime Tivo's) or DirecTv (grandfathered lifetime from old DirecTivo lifetime days).

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#166 OFFLINE   A_Bear

A_Bear

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:58 PM

I dont have a DVR fee with Comcast (own my own lifetime Tivo's) or DirecTv (grandfathered lifetime from old DirecTivo lifetime days).

very nice my good sir

#167 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:04 PM

very nice my good sir

You are right though, to be fair, I should include it, but there were to many variables :)
Comcast would be $8.50 HD fee and $9.45 DVR fee per outlet.
DirecTv would be $10 HD fee and $7 DVR fee per account.

DirecTv still wins :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#168 OFFLINE   A_Bear

A_Bear

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:06 PM

You are right though, to be fair, I should include it, but there were to many variables :)
DirecTv would be $10 HD fee and $7 DVR fee per account.

all i have to say is 'ouch' with a 'per outlet' fee....

#169 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:09 PM

DirecTv would be $10 HD fee and $8 DVR fee per account.

Future proofed it for you...

~Alan

#170 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:12 PM

~Alan

Yea, I still have my Series 1 Tivo with Lifetime :) Im a lifetime junkie, because I take care of my stuff, so it has always paid off. The Lifetime XM subscription has REALLY paid off.

#171 OFFLINE   A_Bear

A_Bear

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:12 PM

~Alan

#172 OFFLINE   A_Bear

A_Bear

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:28 PM

Just FYI in certian areas, the RSN's will be an additional $2, but areas are tbd

#173 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:31 PM

Just FYI in certian areas, the RSN's will be an additional $2, but areas are tbd

Wow, you are just a real Christmas Grinch there bud :)

#174 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:49 PM

ESPN should be broken out of all the packages and made a premium service just like HBO is.

just like how SKY sports is.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#175 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:54 PM

will that be what old choice extra get's for free?
areas with more then 1 RSN?
RSN's that some people need the sports pack to get local games on (mainly people in some RSN outer market)?
Entertainment add on?

Now under a theme pack or all a cart system $2 is not that bad.

#176 OFFLINE   A_Bear

A_Bear

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:54 PM

Wow, you are just a real Christmas Grinch there bud :)

not me bro

#177 OFFLINE   A_Bear

A_Bear

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

from what i understand, this will only happen to very few markets

#178 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:11 PM

from what i understand, this will only happen to very few markets

so maybe Directv can pick up some of the high costs RSN like CSN NW.

#179 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:12 PM

How about DNS feeds?

Is there any increase there?

~Alan<~~~~~~~Hoping the answer is no...

No increase in DNS feeds that I'm aware of
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#180 OFFLINE   A_Bear

A_Bear

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:20 PM

No increase in DNS feeds that I'm aware of

I do not see any on the dns either

Protected By... spam firewall...And...