Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1155 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   sorrycharlie

sorrycharlie

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:20 AM

So... Now that the price increases are in effect when are we getting new additional channels to justify the price increase? I need to feel like I'm getting some value for the 119 + bucks a month I'm paying for. If they dont launch anything in the next few weeks, I just might have to switch to Comcast which offers more HD in my area than Directv.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#302 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

So... Now that the price increases are in effect when are we getting new additional channels to justify the price increase? I need to feel like I'm getting some value for the 119 + bucks a month I'm paying for. If they dont launch anything in the next few weeks, I just might have to switch to Comcast which offers more HD in my area than Directv.

The main reason you are seeing a price increase, is because the station owners want more money from DirecTV. And as a matter of fact, they want more money from Comcast too, as they too have raised their prices. Again.

So no, you won't feel like you are getting some value. And that is not DirecTV's fault, and not Comcast fault for that matter, but the fault of the station owners.

You can switch.... and take advantage of the new customer first year discount, but in a year from now you'll be paying about the same. I did the research when I moved about a year and a half ago, and in the end there might be a $5 difference between providers, one a little cheaper, one a little more, one had certain channels in a different package, the other had a few channels the third didn't have, etc....but it really didn't make the difference worth it.

So instead of looking at the dollar value, I looked at what was offered. U-Verse was out for me because of the picture quality. I wanted whole house DVR which at that time Time Warner and Dish didn't offer, so the choice was easy: DirecTV.

Would I ever switch? Sure, if DirecTV keeps stalling on certain channels, I might change for THAT reason. But I figured out a long time ago that every company raises prices, and every carrier has the same contract negotiations which in the end means a price increase there, is passed on to the subscribers.

For now, I am missing only a few channels. My biggest wish list is BBC America, and that channel alone will probably cause me to never think about switching again. OWN would be #2, simply because the wife watches it a lot, but that channel needs to establish itself a bit more I believe.

As far as the rest goes? HI2 I would want. DIY would be nice.... but the rest I barely ever watch, and aren't a compelling enough reason for me to switch.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#303 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

Notice the big beloved BBCA is nowhere on those lists. ;)

We're scraping the bottom of the barrel, remember? ;)

I love BBC America simply because I was born and raised in Europe, and had all BBC channels on my television. And when I met my American wife and she moved in with me there, English language television was on a lot. So I got used to BBC as some of the primary channels to watch in my household, and I know a lot of the programming.

And of course there is Doctor Who. Not your mainstream SciFi programming here in the U.S., but incredibly popular in Europe.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#304 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,688 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

The main reason you are seeing a price increase, is because the station owners want more money from DirecTV.

It would probably be useful to distinguish between LIL stations and cable networks.

DIRECTV's price increase seems inline with past price increases so it really seems more like a COLA than a response to some other stimulus (although we know that ESPN is stupid expensive).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#305 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

I remember when Disney Channel was available on DirecTV a la carte. I think it was like $9.99...

~Alan

20 years I had TCI & Disney channel was ala carte. $15.00.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#306 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

Yes, you are going to get additional HD channels this year. Several in the next couple of months and then more after that.

It won't be next few weeks, but barely after that.

As for the price increases, D*'s costs go up as well despite not getting anything "new". It's the nature of programming and content costs. ESPN is still ESPN, but Time Warner, DISH, D*, Comcast, everyone else gets to pay more for it in 2012 than 2011. Same with most other channels. When ESPN goes out and spends billions on Monday Night Football, that cost is going to be absorbed by the distributors and on down the line.

Edited by Satelliteracer, 02 February 2012 - 04:19 PM.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#307 OFFLINE   Bonneville44

Bonneville44

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

I anticipate TCM and Disney Junior. I'd like to see DIY. I only watch E! for the Soup so not sure that would be on MY list. There are shows on BBCA I would watch if it were in HD, Luther, White Chapel. Luckily I have HD PBS for SHerlock and Downton Abbey.

#308 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

Satracer gives us some hope of things to come. So maybe by April we will have some additional hd to watch. Thank you sir for all of your input.

Edited by seern, 03 February 2012 - 06:34 AM.

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#309 OFFLINE   larry55

larry55

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

thanks you s r.

#310 ONLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

Thanks SR. My revised prediction is TruTV in March in time for NCAA BB coverage and TCM in April.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#311 OFFLINE   KK in CT

KK in CT

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

A couple of months. Very good. Hopefully TruTV by March Madness time. Thanks SR.

#312 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,592 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

Satracer gives us some hope of things to come. So maybe by April we will have some additional hd to watch. Thank you sir for all of hour input.

Where'd he say anything about maybe by April???

#313 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,099 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

Where'd he say anything about maybe by April???

I think seern said that.

#314 OFFLINE   Skyboss

Skyboss

Icon

• Registered
  • 585 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:38 PM

Yes, you are going to get additional HD channels this year. Several in the next couple of months and then more after that.

This is most excellent news.
List is getting short….FMC HD, ID HD, Sundance HD, and Encore HD Channels.

#315 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,592 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

I think seern said that.

I know he did. I was asking seern where SR said we're getting new channels by April.

#316 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,592 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

A couple of months. Very good. Hopefully TruTV by March Madness time. Thanks SR.

Just got my bill today and the flier has a big section about March Madness but nothing about "every game in HD" or any mentions of Tru TV HD. :(

#317 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,099 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

I know he did. I was asking seern where SR said we're getting new channels by April.

I am saying that SR never said by April, seern did. SR did say "barely" more than a "few weeks" from now. By reading between the lines, there should be more HD by April.

#318 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,592 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:37 AM

It won't be next few weeks, but barely after that.

I'll believe it when I see it.

#319 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,736 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:39 AM

It won't be next few weeks, but barely after that..

So several is more then a couple right, so 3 maybe 4? And barely after that is 3 to 5 weeks? ;)

#320 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:35 AM

He said next couple of months, so since its February then couple of months is April. Also I put in that 'maybe' so I am guessing just like everyone else here except s-r who knows.

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

Protected By... spam firewall...And...