Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1155 replies to this topic

#721 OFFLINE   bobvick1983

bobvick1983

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 276 posts
  • LocationNW Alabama

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

Why can't we trade the EAST time zone feeds for those? What makes the east time zone more important?

Population for one thing. This data is from 2006, and was compiled manually by the writer, but in 2006 there were approximately 49,000,000 in the Pacific Time Zone, and 19,000,000 in the Mountain Time Zone, that would use the west coast feed.
On the other hand, there were approximately 141,500,000 in the Eastern Time Zone and about 85,000,000 in the Central Time Zone.
So that is 67,000,000 that would use the west coast feed oppsed to 226,000,000 that would use the eastern feed.

DIRECTV
DIRECTV AU9-SL3 dish, SWM 16, HR44-700, HR24-100 2TB external HDD, HR24--200 1TB external HDD, HR24-200 1TB external HDD, HR21-700 receivers 2TB interal HDD, DECA Networked

C-BAND

7.5' SAMI C-Band dish, Chaparral Dual C feed, Norsat 8115C-Band LNB's, GEOSat Pro MicroHD, GBox V3000 Positioner

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#722 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,094 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

I'm more concerned with the "more to come" statement. I love DirecTV, always have and always will; but I also have a vacation condo that I am not allowed to install a dish so I'm forced into Time Warner Cable; and I must say, there are a lot more "Basic Cable" stations in HD with TW then DTV....not to mention HD On-Demand with NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS and many other "cable" stations.

Long story short...DirecTV needs to do some serious HD additions just to catch up.

HR34-700(0x00805)|Networked: Yes via Deca hardwired to Actiontec MI424WR (FiOS)| OTA: No | DOD Enabled: Yes |Mediashare: TVersity |
HDTV: Panasonic Plasma TH-50PZ85U connected via Monster HDMI| Home Theater: Onkyo TX-LR552 connected via coax cable. Whole Home: Yes

HR20-700 (0x07EB)
|Networked: Yes via Deca| OTA: No | HDTV: Hitachi Plasma P42H401 connected via HDMI. Whole Home: Yes

AU9 Slimline | SWM|

#723 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,565 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

I really hope H2 is pushed up the priority list now that all popular History shows has moved there

Pawn Stars and American Pickers has remained on History; those are the popular shows. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#724 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 532 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

TruTV is 99% court cases. I watched it for a few days when Dish first got it and I got bored.

Wasn't TruTV once CourTV. It's the reason my wife first agreed to Directv. Centre Video, my cable carrier at the time, was dropping CourTV and my wife couldn't live without it. So she asked me: "What about that satellite company you've been talking about?"

#725 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,083 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

It's Channel 246. When you go to the Directv guide online and hide SD duplicates, channel 246 disappears.

Doesn't when I tried it. The channel was still in the guide.

#726 ONLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,585 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

Worked for me, it goes from 245 to 247, no 246. Be sure to click "hide SD duplicates" in the top right corner of http://www.directv.c...rtainment/guide. I'd post a screenshot but I don't know how.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#727 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

Worked for me, it goes from 245 to 247, no 246. Be sure to click "hide SD duplicates" in the top right corner of http://www.directv.c...rtainment/guide. I'd post a screenshot but I don't know how.

I don't see trutv with hide sd on.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#728 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,665 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

That's the problem with all this secrecy. A new HD channel is a closely guarded secret for some reason, and because we only know "a channel" is coming, we are anticipating that channel to be "gold plated".

Then when the channel launches, and it is only "tin plated", people are going to be disappointed.

Yeah that's what I don't get, if D* knows the channels are coming why don't they announce it? It may help with getting new subscribers, and keep current ones around.

#729 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

Yeah that's what I don't get, if D* knows the channels are coming why don't they announce it? It may help with getting new subscribers, and keep current ones around.

+1
HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#730 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

I don't blame them one bit for not saying it. Look what happened a few years ago when they said HBO channels were coming, put out a release and then things changed. People here still have a bit@#$ storm about that.

You really think people are leaving DTV because they can't get E! or TruTV on HD? Please. :lol:

#731 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,427 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

Same here. I still see it.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#732 OFFLINE   zeus

zeus

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

Why can't we trade the EAST time zone feeds for those? What makes the east time zone more important?

79.9% of Americans live in the Eastern and Central time zones, which receive broadcasts simultaneously.

That is why.

#733 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 871 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

Maybe TruTV is only going HD for March Madness and we still get a full time and part time HD channel also.

#734 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 497 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

I don't blame them one bit for not saying it. Look what happened a few years ago when they said HBO channels were coming, put out a release and then things changed. People here still have a bit@#$ storm about that.

The only way to make this kind of an announcement work would be if D* had the deal inked and the channel totally up and running and then sat on it for a week after they made the announcement. I.e. delay lighting it up so that everyone could feel good about knowing "what was coming". All this because right now it seems as if the ink is still drying on the contract when they light up channels. I don't like it either, but it seems as if that is the way it is.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#735 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

Why don't you get it? It's only be explained (to you) dozens of times that there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for why they choose not to announce channel additions in advance of their launch.

#736 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

Why don't you get it? It's only be explained (to you) dozens of times that there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for why they choose not to announce channel additions in advance of their launch.

Yes

#737 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

Don't hold your breath for anything great.

“We’re tightening our belts in terms of spending,” White said in an interview. “We’ll cut back on overhead, hiring and programming.”

http://www.bloomberg...y-slowdown.html

TruTV is 99% court cases. I watched it for a few days when Dish first got it and I got bored.

for some reason it's really exciting to everyone :rolleyes:

Edited by Rtm, 02 March 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#738 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

Because pretty much all of the major cable channels are based in NYC or elsewhere on the East Coast. A better question though is why can't you get a DVR?

I have a DVR. That doesn't mean I don't want to turn on the TV after dinner, and just see "what's on". 8 PM is prime time, that's when I am more or less done with dinner, cleaned up, checked my email, etc.... And it would be really nice, especially on movie channels without commercials such as HBO and the likes, to then just turn on the movie and watch it. Because at 5 PM, when it is 8 PM EST, most of us west-coasties are still in traffic trying to get home. And of course I hear you make the argument "well, why can't you remote schedule the movie from your work or smart phone", but it just doesn't work that way.

Besides, believe it or not: SateliteRacer said that the DVR penetration is about 50% of customers, so that leaves the other 50% without one. Should they all come home at 5 PM so they don't miss out on their HBO prime time movie?

The world does not revolve around the east coast, even though there are more people living there. The 50 million living in the PST time zone are very happy with our PST prime time at 8. Not at 5.

I bet for the same reason you won't want to have your prime time movie moved to 11, (or 8 PM PST) so that you are still watching it at 1 AM, or have to record it so you can watch it next day. No, just like us west coasties, you would probably want the movie to come on at 8 pm, DVR or not.

A lot of cable channels start showing the repeats at 11 PM EST, so that is 8 PM PST, and I am fine with that.

But don't take away my HBO west coast feeds.

As far as kids channels go: That has to do more with kid bed times, its easier to plan when the kids programs are on more or less on the same time across the country.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#739 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

Don't hold your breath for anything great.

There isn't anything "great" left that isn't in HD. There are some decent channels left behind, but nothing that I would classify as "great".
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#740 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,565 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

Looks to be TruTV.

Just posted on Facebook by DirecTV : "Big news: TruTV (Ch. 246) is becoming HD next Wednesday March 7th!"

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

spam firewall