Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 - Which HD Receiver?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mbsfedp

mbsfedp

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:50 PM

HR34 and (3) HD receivers being installed on Tuesday. Would like to confirm before the installer arrives which HD receiver works best with the HR34.

Thanks!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

H24 or H25

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:53 PM

They all work the same. The H25 is smallest (and has a rather flimsy component connector, so I would avoid it if you plan to use component). H24 is next, just as fast as the H25, but more robustly built. It would actually be my choice. The others, H23, H21 and older tech, but will work with an external deca. More than likely, they will install H25's, but if they have H24's on the truck, I would request those, if the slightly larger size doesnt matter to you.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,658 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:59 PM

Slightly larger?

Sure, H24 is smaller than H21 or something, but the 25 is more than slightly smaller I think.

#5 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

Slightly larger?

For a room like a bedroom, H25 is best overall.

Not that much larger. More lights tho. If I didnt have to use component, I would say it was best. As it is, if I bump the table, a color cuts out, or the sound cuts out until I wiggle the connector. TV in there only has one DVI input, and its used by the computer.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#6 OFFLINE   mbsfedp

mbsfedp

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:14 PM

Thanks for the info. I read the H25 does not have an Ethernet port (H24 does), when using the HR34 in a whole home setup does it matter that the H25 does not have an Ethernet port?

#7 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:16 PM

No, it networks over the same coax cable that the video comes in on.

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,658 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:18 PM

Yeah, it only works in a supported whole home environment, but that's not an issue. It's not the same as the H20 not having an Ethernet jack.

#9 OFFLINE   mbsfedp

mbsfedp

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:20 PM

Thanks Davenlr. Not to change the subject but I see you have the Sharp Aquos 60", which model and do you like it? I've a Sony TV nut for a very long time and have been considering the Sharp.

#10 OFFLINE   mbsfedp

mbsfedp

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:23 PM

Yeah, it only works in a supported whole home environment, but that's not an issue. It's not the same as the H20 not having an Ethernet jack.

So would you recommend going with a receiver that has an Ethernet port even in a whole home setup?

#11 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:23 PM

LC60E78UN, the non-LED version that was being sold by Best Buy. I love it. Mounted it to the wall with a mount from monoprice.com. Replaced a 46" Sharp Aquos that is in the bedroom now. Havent had any problems with either one. Picture is great, and it has "gobs" of adjustments you can use to do a home calibration without paying big bucks.

#12 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:26 PM

So would you recommend going with a receiver that has an Ethernet port even in a whole home setup?

If you plug anything into the ethernet port, it disable whole home networking over coax, so unless you were adding the box to an unsupported ethernet whole home network using your own routers and switches, then its totally useless. In your case, it would be totally worthless, as all networking will be over coax to the HR34.

I would make sure they add an internet connection kit to tie the coax network into your home network, so you can download VOD, and use your home network to view files on the computers.

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,658 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:30 PM

No, in a supported whole home environment, there is no benefit to an Ethernet jack.

#14 OFFLINE   mbsfedp

mbsfedp

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:36 PM

If you plug anything into the ethernet port, it disable whole home networking over coax, so unless you were adding the box to an unsupported ethernet whole home network using your own routers and switches, then its totally useless. In your case, it would be totally worthless, as all networking will be over coax to the HR34.

I would make sure they add an internet connection kit to tie the coax network into your home network, so you can download VOD, and use your home network to view files on the computers.

The order shows the Cinema Connection Kit which according to DirecTV is what connects me to the internet, is this correct?

Thanks again for the info on the Ethernet port.. I'll verify the receiver model before I let the installer in the house..LOL

#15 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:39 PM

Yep, CCK is what you need.

#16 OFFLINE   mbsfedp

mbsfedp

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:13 PM

LC60E78UN, the non-LED version that was being sold by Best Buy. I love it. Mounted it to the wall with a mount from monoprice.com. Replaced a 46" Sharp Aquos that is in the bedroom now. Havent had any problems with either one. Picture is great, and it has "gobs" of adjustments you can use to do a home calibration without paying big bucks.

I'm looking for an LED and having a hard time justifying the cost of a Sony. I'm not familiar with Sharp and would appreciate your thoughts on this one.

http://www.thetvmega...refid=Pricegrab

thanks

#17 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:22 PM

All the Sharps with an XGen panel look great. The difference in price from the sub-$1000 one at Best Buy (LCD, no LED), and the $1300 LED, and the $1500 one you linked, which is available at Best Buy for about $50 more if you want to see one in person, are just the additional "extras" included, like internet connectivity, and such. Personally, I would rather keep things separate (Roku, or PS3, etc) than have it included in the TV, but that is totally a personal choice.

I dont think you can go wrong with any of the Aquos sets. If you use SquareTrade for your warranty, vs the ones usually offered at the point of sale, you can pretty much guarantee your purchase price with a refund or replacement set for up to 4 yrs, if you are concerned.

Check out WWW.AVSFORUM.COM and search on your model number, and see what the folks there are saying about it. You will also find for most of the Sharp models, users have posted their professional and home calibration settings, which are hugely helpful for fine tuning the PQ to your satisfaction.

spam firewall