Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 from DirecTV - Why Current Customers Treated So Poorly

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   akopperl

akopperl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:37 AM

I've been a customer for 10 years and have every package they offer. I called today asking for an HR34 receiver and they told me they could not guarantee it. I would get whatever the technician has at the time of install. I can't take the risk of ordering a receiver and have the technician show up with an HR24 - which I already have.

I don't understand a business model where a new customer can end up with the brand new HR34 - yet an existing, long time customer may end up with an older, less capable model, if they order at the same time. I understand that some new customers may not end up with the HR34, but a a 10 year customer should never take a back seat to a new customer. DirecTV should be able to guarantee me an HR34 even if it means a wait of several weeks.

I can buy the HR34 elsewhere, but the additional costs for the switch and the installation are cost prohibitive. Any ideas on how to get an HR34 from DirecTV?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:39 AM

Since the HR34 is a much different receiver sold in a slightly different way, I think you got a CSR that has no clue. If you order one, it will cost and cost more than any of the other HRs.

Maybe another call is in order!

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:40 AM

You can buy the HR34 elsewhere, then schedule DirecTv to come install it. FWIW, once the HR34 gets into their computer system as an upgrade for existing customers, you WILL be able to specify that model, because its in a totally different classification. Problem right now is, the CSRs dont know about that, since its not going to be available to existing customers until February, so they are reading off the old cards :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:20 AM

If you aren't in a rollout market, be patient and you'll be able to get one soon. Don't forget that you being with them for 10 years puts you in a minority group...nowadays, most people have absolutely zero loyalty...companies are starting to see that and have changed their business models accordingly. I don't like it either, but thats how the worled works now, you can either get on board or stay behind. I've been with them since 1997.

#5 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:32 AM

Because most loyal customers are suck in contracts and DIRECTV can give a rats *** about loyalty, IMO.

Once the HR34 gets to the SFLA market, I will ask for an upgrade as a 11 yr customer. If not, then I am off to Uverse. I have it right no installed under the free 30 days, and it seems as good as DIRECTV in about every way. Plus I get free NFL Red Zone and the new wireless DVR if I stay past my 20 days.

I prefer to stay with DIRECTV as I like to be loyal and I don't want to loose my programing on my DVRs. But if DIRECTV is not willing to show any loyalty, why should I

I have been loyal to Bellsouth/Cingular/AT&T Wireless for 21 yrs. Basic calling plans the entire time. I get any promo I want and frequent upgrades JUST for ASKING. Sure, I pay, but i am willing to do the same with DIRECTV. I only asked for 1 thing with DIRECTV in 11 years. MRV and got it after many, many calls to supervisors. Its like pulling teeth!

#6 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:46 AM

If not, then I am off to Uverse. I have it right no installed under the free 30 days, and it seems as good as DIRECTV in about every way.

Sorry, but not even close. My M-I-L has Uverse and she can only get 2 HD streams where she is. She can only watch HD in the main location and the HD PQ is not anywhere close to what DirecTV has.

#7 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:13 AM

So how many single HR34 threads are we gonna have going even though we have a dedicated discussion thread? Im just sayin...

Edited by Jason Whiddon, 24 December 2011 - 11:24 AM.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#8 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:22 AM

So many single HR34 threads are we gonna have going even though we have a dedicated discussion thread? Im just sayin...

+1
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#9 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:26 AM

Sorry, but not even close. My M-I-L has Uverse and she can only get 2 HD streams where she is. She can only watch HD in the main location and the HD PQ is not anywhere close to what DirecTV has.

Sorry, but that YOUR area. :sure: Not mine! I get 4 HD streams and PQ is the same. Then again, i only have 2 TV and don't need more.

#10 OFFLINE   TheFigurehead

TheFigurehead

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:45 AM

Like I stated in a different thread, Customer Care refused to activate my new HR-34. Told me that ONLY new customers were eligable. Obviously, he is wrong, but it goes to show that DirecTV has some serious issues getting out consistant information to their customer facing employees.

I might try again today... not sure if DirecTV has staff available to help.

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:20 PM

There's no entitlement with DirecTV, not sure why people think there should be.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,024 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:26 PM

You all need to realize that these things are new, very limited and not available in all areas. When people call and demand something that is not available then they are going to be upset.

Be patient and don't get upset. Not all of the installers have even been trained on this yet.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#13 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,849 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

Sorry, but that YOUR area. :sure: Not mine! I get 4 HD streams and PQ is the same. Then again, i only have 2 TV and don't need more.

PQ is the same everywhere on Uverse...only the number of streams varies. I have both, too, and find PQ not as bad as I expected but not even close to DIRECTV.

What gets me is you and others feel entitled to free stuff and discounts and hate new customers get them, then you do the same thing...switch (or continue to threaten to every week in your case) to get free stuff and discounts...which you feel isn't fair. Makes no sense, but whatever.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,502 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:07 PM

Some people are more sensitive to video quality, like an audiophile may say something sounds bad, but I can't hear what they're hearing. I think the same happens with video.

#15 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,849 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:09 PM

Some people are more sensitive to video quality, like an audiophile may say something sounds bad, but I can't hear what they're hearing. I think the same happens with video.

I'm the same way...I can't hear big differences in audio but am picky about PQ.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#16 OFFLINE   akopperl

akopperl

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:46 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll just hold tight for now.

I'm not talking about entitlement, but just basic customer service. I'm not saying I should get it first -I was being told regardless of the situation, they will NEVER be able to guarantee me an HR34. As a long standing customer, why should I potentially watch new customers in my area get the HR34 without any means to get one through DirecTV? Also, I am not asking for a free upgrade, I am willing to pay full price and agree to extend my contract. The CSR actually told me to get it on my own from a 3rd party supplier and get it installed on my own.

If I got one from a 3rd party, would DirecTV do the install for $49 supplying the switch, etc.?

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,502 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

The rep was simply wrong. They can't guarantee an HR24, and that's what the rep was basing it on. The HR34 and THR22 are not in the same situation.

#18 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

I've been a customer for 10 years and have every package they offer. I called today asking for an HR34 receiver and they told me they could not guarantee it. I would get whatever the technician has at the time of install. I can't take the risk of ordering a receiver and have the technician show up with an HR24 - which I already have.

I don't understand a business model where a new customer can end up with the brand new HR34 - yet an existing, long time customer may end up with an older, less capable model, if they order at the same time. I understand that some new customers may not end up with the HR34, but a a 10 year customer should never take a back seat to a new customer. DirecTV should be able to guarantee me an HR34 even if it means a wait of several weeks.

I can buy the HR34 elsewhere, but the additional costs for the switch and the installation are cost prohibitive. Any ideas on how to get an HR34 from DirecTV?

First off a HR34 is not classified as a HD DVR. Secondly you can order one from from online retailers.

However there is good news. You can get an HR 34 guaranteed in about 45 days for the cost of $399.

So I guess we'll see you back in 45 days complaining about how they want to charge you.

#19 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,821 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:57 PM

To answer the question of the thread about current customers being treated so poorly, its common in most public companies.

If you listen to the earnings calls of public companies that offer services (cable, sat, cellular, etc.), they focus on new subscribers, increase in average monthly revenue (aka ARPU or ANSC) and churn rates. New subs win over everything. As long as the new customer rate exceeds the churn rate (i.e. disconnects), they are growing.

We are conditioned to wheel and deal after all contracts end. Granted if there's a mass exodus for dissatisfaction, then things may be modified but historically, this rarely happens.

#20 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:57 PM

What gets me is you and others feel entitled to free stuff and discounts and hate new customers get them, then you do the same thing...switch (or continue to threaten to every week in your case) to get free stuff and discounts...which you feel isn't fair. Makes no sense, but whatever.

I don't feel entitled and I never call and try to get free stuff. I have been a DirecTV customer since 1994 and really have no other options, so I'm not going anywhere. But I do get aggravated that as a $3K+ a year customer, I can't get the latest equipment, but someone with the lowest package that hasn't paid them a cent does.

spam firewall