Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 from DirecTV - Why Current Customers Treated So Poorly

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,875 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

For all my blathering, I seldom call to do anything. If D* would allow for cancelling all packages and premiums online, I doubt I would call them at all.

In my time with Dish, I only called/chatted (chat most often) to get some deal that I read about. All other interactions were me and my handy browser.

With D*, you have to call to cancel the premiums or downgrade a package. I find that irritating as hell, so when I call to do that, I also look for a deal. If I could cancel/change without the call, I wouldn't do that. I figure if they are going to make me call and sit on hold for a bit, I want to be paid for my time!! :)

LOL!!! :)

~Alan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:28 PM

For all my blathering, I seldom call to do anything. If D* would allow for cancelling all packages and premiums online, I doubt I would call them at all.

In my time with Dish, I only called/chatted (chat most often) to get some deal that I read about. All other interactions were me and my handy browser.

With D*, you have to call to cancel the premiums or downgrade a package. I find that irritating as hell, so when I call to do that, I also look for a deal. If I could cancel/change without the call, I wouldn't do that. I figure if they are going to make me call and sit on hold for a bit, I want to be paid for my time!! :)

The DirecTV diode.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#183 OFFLINE   BigCat

BigCat

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:04 PM

how long do you have to be gone from D* to be able to come back as a "new" customer?

#184 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

how long do you have to be gone from D* to be able to come back as a "new" customer?

2 years

#185 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

Not that I plan to do this, but what if a subscriber who is out of contract would cancel and then have a wife or other family member sign up. Could they qualify as a new subscriber with all the new subscriber goodies?
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#186 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

Not that I plan to do this, but what if a subscriber who is out of contract would cancel and then have a wife or other family member sign up. Could they qualify as a new subscriber with all the new subscriber goodies?

They have a fraud department that can catch this. Of course some people get away with it so I'm sure people will pipe up how they've done it or whatever but YMMV. It is considered fraudulent in DIRECTV's eyes.

#187 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

They have a fraud department that can catch this. Of course some people get away with it so I'm sure people will pipe up how they've done it or whatever but YMMV. It is considered fraudulent in DIRECTV's eyes.

I'm not sure fraudulent is the term I would use, maybe sleezy or shady:)
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#188 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

Don't they try to lure you back too?

#189 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

I'm not sure fraudulent is the term I would use, maybe sleezy or shady:)

Fraud is fraud, there aren't differing degrees of fraud. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#190 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

Many elected officials in Florida don't seem to understand that...
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#191 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

Is there anything in the terms of service that prohibits this?

#192 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:48 PM

Many elected officials in Florida don't seem to understand that...

Yeah well this isn't a political forum.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#193 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

Is there anything in the terms of service that prohibits this?

Sorry I don't have the TOS memorized. Feel free to read through it at directv.com.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#194 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:24 PM

Please do read the agreement. I am no lawyer, but it seems there is no prohibition for anyone signing up for service. All the mumbo jumbo about two years yada yada yada.

#195 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,132 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

Though not sure if just because it's not in the agreement, it can't be a business rule.

#196 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

Obviously D* won't let a habitual churner keep getting new subscriber deals, kind of like the people who sign up for credit card reward points or airline miles over and over and then cancel the card.

But if the previous subscriber subscribed to premiums and/or NFL ST, why wouldn't D* try to entice them back, whether it's within the two year window or not?

#197 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

Obviously D* won't let a habitual churner keep getting new subscriber deals, kind of like the people who sign up for credit card reward points or airline miles over and over and then cancel the card.

But if the previous subscriber subscribed to premiums and/or NFL ST, why wouldn't D* try to entice them back, whether it's within the two year window or not?

Keep in mind there is a difference between a "New Customer" and a "Returning Customer". They can entice you to come back within those 2 years but I don't think you'd be considered "New" if that were the case. They may have some other deal to get you as a "Returning Customer".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#198 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

IIRC when I cancelled for cable DirecTV hit me up with deal after deal if I would come back. Free this and free that whatever was the flavor of the day. Of course because I had superior DVRs there was no way I was going back then. When I finally did reup years later, they gave me the standard 3 months of premiums free, free install etc.

#199 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:31 AM

Don't you have to "bluff" in order to get the retention in the first place?!

~Alan

No. There used to be an 800 number to call to ring them directly. Last time I needed retention it still existed.

#200 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:25 AM

They should be! Mt wife signed us up for DIRECTV before we were married on her account at another address. She no longer wants DIRECTV or the account her her name. I SHOULD be able to cancel her account and then allow ME to set-up an account as a new subscriber. Same address or not. Its MY account and I am a NEW subscriber, right?

I bet some courts would agree with this. I might look into this if I can't get a HR34 in some time for a reasonable price after 11 yrs of being a DIRECTV customer with now DVR or recover discounts, freebies, etc.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...