Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 from DirecTV - Why Current Customers Treated So Poorly

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:29 AM

I bet some courts would agree with this.

I'll bet they wouldn't. There is no right to DirecTV service and DirecTV can choose who becomes a customer and who can't. They reject new customers every day, usually based on credit. But it is their decision and no court is going to get involved.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:48 AM

IIRC from other threads, HR34 is the only DVR with over 50 season passes?

#203 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:36 AM

I'll bet they wouldn't. There is no right to DirecTV service and DirecTV can choose who becomes a customer and who can't. They reject new customers every day, usually based on credit. But it is their decision and no court is going to get involved.

And based on what? 800 credit score, I never have been a directv customer and directv service was also here when we moved in. So I should and would be a new customer. I bet if someone usher hard enough, they would win. 800+ CS will not make it easier for them to turn me down.

Again, its not the route I am going to take, but would think of it it came down to hard ball.

#204 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,717 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:40 AM

And based on what? 800 credit score, I never have been a directv customer and directv service was also here when we moved in. So I should and would be a new customer. I bet if someone usher hard enough, they would win. 800+ CS will not make it easier for them to turn me down.

Again, its not the route I am going to take, but would think of it it came down to hard ball.

According to DirecTV you would NOT be a new customer, especially if your wife still lived there.

Just go ahead and move to FiOs, you've been threatening to do so in every post for about a year now. Pull the trigger.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#205 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

They should be! Mt wife signed us up for DIRECTV before we were married on her account at another address. She no longer wants DIRECTV or the account her her name. I SHOULD be able to cancel her account and then allow ME to set-up an account as a new subscriber. Same address or not. Its MY account and I am a NEW subscriber, right?

I bet some courts would agree with this. I might look into this if I can't get a HR34 in some time for a reasonable price after 11 yrs of being a DIRECTV customer with now DVR or recover discounts, freebies, etc.

You can't be a subscriber with 11 years of service and a new subscriber.

#206 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

IIRC from other threads, HR34 is the only DVR with over 50 season passes?

The new Tivo (THR22) has unlimited season passes.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#207 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:51 AM

I forgot to mention that when I reupped they offered free equipment too. I did not want leased equipment and was holding out for the TiVo interface.

When my dad lived with me in the same house, I called DTV and they said that he was a different customer even tho at the same address. For example let's say you rented out a room in your home to Joe Flebietz. You would not want Joe on your account. So Joe could have his own account. Same address.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#208 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

And based on what? 800 credit score, I never have been a directv customer and directv service was also here when we moved in. So I should and would be a new customer.

I never said you would not. My statement was directed at a court deciding you are a new customer. I still stand that statement. DirecTV can deny to provide service to anyone they want to as long as it is not because that person is a member of a protected class.

#209 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

According to DirecTV you would NOT be a new customer, especially if your wife still lived there.

Just go ahead and move to FiOs, you've been threatening to do so in every post for about a year now. Pull the trigger.

Had AT&T uverse for 30 days. decided to stick it out with DIRECTV a little longer. Just was not ready to switch and service was not better than DIRECTV. About the same and I don't want to lose my shows yet before switching.

Sorry, if wife is here or not, i would be a NEW customer as I have never had a account in my name. In matter of fact, the account is under her maiden name. She installed it before we were married. So i should be a new customer.

#210 OFFLINE   jahgreen

jahgreen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

I never said you would not. My statement was directed at a court deciding you are a new customer. I still stand that statement. DirecTV can deny to provide service to anyone they want to as long as it is not because that person is a member of a protected class.

Absolutely correct.

Nobody has an enforceable legal right to new customer deals. If DirecTV says you aren't because your wife had an account in the same house, no court anywhere is going to do anything but laugh you out of court.

I'd like some of the action on any bet otherwise.
Panasonic 50px60U
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR21-100
Salamander Design Synergy Cabinet with plasma mount

DirecTV since 2004

#211 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,717 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

Sorry, if wife is here or not, i would be a NEW customer as I have never had a account in my name. In matter of fact, the account is under her maiden name. She installed it before we were married. So i should be a new customer.

That doesn't matter to DirecTV. Same address, same occupants, same account.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#212 OFFLINE   kymikes

kymikes

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:45 AM

That doesn't matter to DirecTV. Same address, same occupants, same account.

Well I don't think he has a 'legal' right to new customer status but if the account is in his wife's maiden name, he might have a fighting chance. If Sally Jones calls and cancels because she is moving and a few days later, Tom Smith calls to request new service, this might fly as I doubt that DTV checks closely enough to see that Sally Jones is now Sally Smith. It is a 'crap shoot' but it is possible.

#213 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,717 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:09 AM

Well I don't think he has a 'legal' right to new customer status but if the account is in his wife's maiden name, he might have a fighting chance. If Sally Jones calls and cancels because she is moving and a few days later, Tom Smith calls to request new service, this might fly as I doubt that DTV checks closely enough to see that Sally Jones is now Sally Smith. It is a 'crap shoot' but it is possible.

The chances are not very likely. A friend of mine went through a divorce and his wife moved out. The wife cancelled their DirecTV account because it was in her name. DirecTV is not letting him create a new account now because of this.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#214 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:03 AM

The chances are not very likely. A friend of mine went through a divorce and his wife moved out. The wife cancelled their DirecTV account because it was in her name. DirecTV is not letting him create a new account now because of this.

While the person being discussed didn't go through a divorce and wants to try this just to get a deal, your friend has different circumstances. I think he should send an email to Ellen's office explaining his situation. with the divorce rate as high as it is, I would think they have a process on how to handle this. They can't afford to deny service to that large of a market (but not sure if they would classify him as a new customer with all the deals associated with that).

#215 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,717 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:15 AM

While the person being discussed didn't go through a divorce and wants to try this just to get a deal, your friend has different circumstances. I think he should send an email to Ellen's office explaining his situation. with the divorce rate as high as it is, I would think they have a process on how to handle this. They can't afford to deny service to that large of a market (but not sure if they would classify him as a new customer with all the deals associated with that).

He emailed Ellen a few months ago, she stuck to the company line of not creating new accounts "for the same person at the same address". He gave up and went with Comcrap.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#216 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:33 AM

I can't believe people would go through so much trouble just to get this thing. Wait a while+it'll become available more widespread+Directv won't want to lose you and they'll eventually offer this=win.

Sounds like Veruca Salt.... I want it NOW!

#217 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

Wasnt there an issue with unpaid balances or non-returned receivers involved though?

#218 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

Wasnt there an issue with unpaid balances or non-returned receivers involved though?

Yes, that was part of his saga!

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#219 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,717 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:43 AM

Nope
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#220 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,717 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

Yes, that was part of his saga!

Umm, no, not for my friend, whom CCarncross was asking me about, it wasn't.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall