Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 from DirecTV - Why Current Customers Treated So Poorly

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:51 AM

Umm, no, not for my friend, whom CCarncross was asking me about, it wasn't.

OK. Just thought your friend was the guy that went on and on and on about this kind of issue. Sorry for the mis-assumption.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,778 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

OK. Just thought your friend was the guy that went on and on and on about this kind of issue. Sorry for the mis-assumption.

Nope, my friend isn't even a member here.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#223 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

Remember the days when everyone "moved" to get locals?

Again I will state that DirecTV was willing, nay eager, to have a new customer at the same address even using the same dish, when my dad moved in with us. They were trying to peddle leased units and if he stayed on my account he would have owned units. He wanted to pay his own way until he heard how much the monthly bill would be. Depression frugality overcame pride very quickly.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#224 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:54 PM

Fraud is fraud, there aren't differing degrees of fraud. :)

It would only be fraud if it was a fake person, a wife you didn't have.

If you have a spouse, there's nothing fraudulent about them signing up as a new directv customer.

Last I checked my wife is an adult able to enter into a contract for services with a company under her own name.

#225 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

It would only be fraud if it was a fake person, a wife you didn't have.

If you have a spouse, there's nothing fraudulent about them signing up as a new directv customer.

Last I checked my wife is an adult able to enter into a contract for services with a company under her own name.

If it violates the TOS, it is fraudulent. It may not be criminal fraud, but it is fraud. There may not be jail time for doing it, but DirecTV is not required to provide the service either.

#226 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

Just gotta accept that DTV values folks they don't yet know more than folks they do know. All you gotta do is become unknown to DTV and you are good to go.

#227 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,778 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:54 AM

Just gotta accept that DTV values folks they don't yet know more than folks they do know.

That pretty much sums it up, yes. It's unfortunate and it sucks but it's the facts.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#228 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,836 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

That pretty much sums it up, yes. It's unfortunate and it sucks but it's the facts.

This is what happens when the marketplace choices are limited.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#229 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

If it violates the TOS, it is fraudulent. It may not be criminal fraud, but it is fraud. There may not be jail time for doing it, but DirecTV is not required to provide the service either.

You are saying that the TOS dictates what other people who I have no control over do??

I'm pretty sure that's not enforceable, and no it isn't fraud. My wife and relatives do all kinds of things without my permission. I can't make them not sign up for DirecTV, that's ridiculous.

ETA, while you're at it, find it and point it out to me, because it doesn't say anything like that.
http://www.directv.c...tomer_agreement

#230 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

ETA, while you're at it, find it and point it out to me, because it doesn't say anything like that.
http://www.directv.c...tomer_agreement

Doesn't have to. That is a Customer Agreement. If you are not yet a customer, the agreement does not apply. They can have any number of internal requirements to become a customer that are not part of the agreement.

#231 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:44 PM

Hello, my name Jose Jimenez. I would like order the DirecTV.

Hello, this is Tommy Finagle, could you please send out some HR34s. Yeah that's the ticket.

Hello, you can call me Jay or you can call me Ray, but ya doesn't has to call me Johnson.

Get creative.

#232 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:13 AM

:beatdeadhorse::beatdeadhorse::beatdeadhorse:

Best wishes!

PrimeStar/DIRECTV subscriber since 10/30/1994.
Roswell, GA (Atlanta Area)
2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
MRV - D* SWiM LNB, PI-21 module, and Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W)
Linksys WRT310N

#233 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,778 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:58 AM

It's call "The right to refuse service". Every American business is entitled to it just like every American is entitled freedom of speech. They can refuse service for any reason they so choose as long as it does not violate your civil liberties.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#234 OFFLINE   Dave from Kazoo

Dave from Kazoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

:lol:I have been away from Directv for 21 months and they would not deal with me. I figure OK stay with my present provider until the 24 month period was up. Next thing I know my son(26 and still living at home) Set up an account with Directv and got HR34 and 2 H25's for my home. My sons billing on his credit card and cell phone(on my account).

#235 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

So I'm out of contract. I could switch to the hopper with Dish, or I could get the HR34. Oh wait, no I can't, it shows 'available soon' on their website and retention says they aren't available to existing customers.

:sigh:

#236 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,662 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

So I'm out of contract. I could switch to the hopper with Dish, or I could get the HR34. Oh wait, no I can't, it shows 'available soon' on their website and retention says they aren't available to existing customers.

It absolutely is available to current customers. You may not actually have been talking to retention, they aren't as easy to get to as they used to be.

#237 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:15 AM

I wonder if they are low on inventory.

#238 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:38 AM

Hello, my name Jose Jimenez. I would like order the DirecTV.

Hello, this is Tommy Finagle, could you please send out some HR34s. Yeah that's the ticket.

Hello, you can call me Jay or you can call me Ray, but ya doesn't has to call me Johnson.

Get creative.

get creative as you want, unless you can supply full credit histories and a valid crdit card for those names you are pretty much out of luck no matter what you call yourself

#239 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:08 AM

"Available soon"?? What a joke! That statement for the HMC34 has been a fixture on DTV's receiver page since January. If in fact it is available for ordering by us, the long time rank and file you would't know it.:confused:
FYI, DishBuy.com has the HR34 for $319.:)
I pick things up and I put them down

#240 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,858 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

I wonder if they are low on inventory.

I doubt there's a shortage. SolidSignal has quite a few of the on hand so I suspect DIRECTV does too. I haven't heard anything to the contrary.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

spam firewall