Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 from DirecTV - Why Current Customers Treated So Poorly

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   byroan

byroan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

"Available soon"?? What a joke! That statement for the HMC34 has been a fixture on DTV's receiver page since January. If in fact it is available for ordering by us, the long time rank and file you would't know it.:confused:
FYI, DishBuy.com has the HR34 for $319.:)

I can't get Dishbuy.com to load.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#242 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,820 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

"Available soon"?? What a joke! That statement for the HMC34 has been a fixture on DTV's receiver page since January. If in fact it is available for ordering by us, the long time rank and file you would't know it.:confused:

It's DishBuys.com with an "s".

Has anyone ever ordered one from these guys?

#243 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

It's DishBuys.com with an "s".

Has anyone ever ordered one from these guys?

Sorry, my bad. Didn't notice I left out the "s". Have not purchased from them but their website claims "authorized" Directv retailer, for what it's worth.
I pick things up and I put them down

#244 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,820 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:30 AM

Its down to $299 now. Link

#245 OFFLINE   ewkplymi

ewkplymi

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:23 PM

I previously had called Directv customer service and retention a few times to upgrade to an HR34 and was never offered a deal; However, I called yesterday and asked for retention and asked them what they could do for me in the way of pricing to upgrade to an HR34. I was out of contract with them. The best they would do is 149.00 and a refund for the install. The install is to take place tomorrow. They also offered HBO for free for 3 months. Maybe there is hope.....

#246 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

I just saw a commercial advertising the recording of 5 shows.

It still doesn't show up on their website, so still can't upgrade.

#247 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

I just saw a commercial advertising the recording of 5 shows.

It still doesn't show up on their website, so still can't upgrade.

Yes you can, just call.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#248 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,568 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

You can upgrade, just call them. Depending on your current setup, you can also get one from an authorized retailer, though you will need to pay the full lease price. But if you aren't currently on a SWM system, or if you end up with more than 8 tuners total, or have an R15 etc on your account, you'll need to go directly through DirecTV.

#249 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

Just got a free HR-34 plus free HD for a year! :)

#250 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

I have found that, while they do discriminate against current customers pretty terribly (I suspect that 10-20% of our bills subsidize the current new-customer give-aways), that you can get them to cut you a break if you have been with them long enough. I got a great deal on a HR34 not too long ago, even though I was (once again) under contract. Sure, I had to pound on them for a while, but they did give in.

Being a customer uninterrupted since 1994 may have something to do with it. I did point it out.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#251 OFFLINE   BlueRidgePro

BlueRidgePro

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

I've been swapping back and forth between DTV and Dish every two years for a long time (next swap will be my 6th).

There's always a new subscriber deal. Often a "please come back" offer that they initiate!

I get the latest new equipment, plus 1 year of discounted service - for half the contract period. Work out the costs & you'll be amazed! I surprised that more people haven't figured it out.

A few hours of reprogramming every 2 years and getting used to different channel numbers is the only PITA,

It's sad that this is the way it is, but it is what it is. I suspect those who stick with one provider and pay the non-discounted rates are subsidizing my installation costs, new equipment and lower costs.

#252 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

I've been swapping back and forth between DTV and Dish every two years for a long time (next swap will be my 6th).

There's always a new subscriber deal. Often a "please come back" offer that they initiate!

I get the latest new equipment, plus 1 year of discounted service - for half the contract period. Work out the costs & you'll be amazed! I surprised that more people haven't figured it out.

A few hours of reprogramming every 2 years and getting used to different channel numbers is the only PITA,

It's sad that this is the way it is, but it is what it is. I suspect those who stick with one provider and pay the non-discounted rates are subsidizing my installation costs, new equipment and lower costs.

Yes we are...and it doesnt seem to bother you in the least...tells alot about you.

#253 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Not only that but we're paying for YOUR installation and new equipment costs. Gee thanks!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#254 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Not only that but we're paying for YOUR installation and new equipment costs. Gee thanks!

I believe the point is that you can thank the service providers as this "game" is THEIR design.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#255 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,406 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

I believe the point is that you can thank the service providers as this "game" is THEIR design.

Absolutely!

We as the buyer/subscribers didn't make the rules, write the contracts or decide who is or is not a 'new' customer. As consumers of their product we have a responsibility to ourselves to get the best possible deal for us under the rules they decided on.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#256 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

Yes we are...and it doesnt seem to bother you in the least...tells alot about you.

And that's the OP's fault how?
When news breaks...we fix it.

#257 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

And that's the OP's fault how?

I think I'm lost here.... I didn't quote the OP so why would you think I was responding to the OP?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#258 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,568 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

What the companies should do, after someone switches back and forth like clockwork, is to stop offering the come back deals.

#259 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,406 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

What the companies should do, after someone switches back and forth like clockwork, is to stop offering the come back deals.

If the bean counters and marketing gurus at the respective companies thought that was in their best interest, they'd do it in a heartbeat! But since they don't, it must not be something they think will make them more money.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#260 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

I've been with DTV for quite some time. That is my choice. However, I can't blame someone for jumping around if companies continue to throw incentives at them to act in this manner. If Directv or Dish really wanted to keep a partnership with its customer base more than attract new customers (who are probably their old customers from a few years prior), they might handle the situation differently.

But that's business. The main focus has always been on new customers rather than retaining the current customers.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...