Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 from DirecTV - Why Current Customers Treated So Poorly

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#261 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

I believe the point is that you can thank the service providers as this "game" is THEIR design.

Actually, I would disagree. Pretty sure the rules of economics and competition created the 'game'.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#262 OFFLINE   BlueRidgePro

BlueRidgePro

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Sorry to start a debate. It was not my intention.

I was simply pointing out the economics of "the game" as you have named it.

Do the math - it's far cheaper to switch every two years. The new equipment is an added bonus.

I don't make the rules - the sat companies do. I'm simply optimizing my cost-benefit. You subsidize my lower cost because you elect to by staying put.

Did you ever consider that when you tell the call rep "I've been a customer for 20 years and never have gotten and deals or upgrades" that there's a call handling script that says "no need to give this guy anything - he's not going anywhere"?

The "game" only exists because most customers do not evaluate the costs and react. The companies depend on inertia or reluctance to change keeping people paying higher costs for older equipment. Face it, Sat TV is a commodity. DTV and Dish have essentially the same offerings, same prices, and same technology. Unfortunatly also the same customer service. Their marketing tries hard to differentiate, but I've found no discernible difference.

If a larger number of customers started to switch to take advantage of new customer incentives, the companies would quickly lose the incentive to play "the game" and start respecting loyal customers instead of chasing new ones.

We'd all be happier then. In the meantime, do the math!

#263 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

I moved from Theta Cable to DirecTV to Adelphia to TimeWarner to DirecTV to FiOS over the past 30-some years. Adelphia to TimeWarner was involuntary as Adelphia went out of business. The other changes had nothing to do with price, although the last switch did save me $40 per month for the first year and $20 per month for the second year.

It's easy to remember that CBS is 2 on DirecTV and 502 on FiOS. If I forget, FiOS pops up a little box telling me to hit the red C key to watch channel 2 in HD.

And the new equipment is nice...
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#264 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,127 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Considering what it cost just 5-6 years ago for a high-end DVR, just checked and the Series3 receipt was $994.58 in 2006, today these numbers don't seem so bad, especially when a new high-end cell every year is $200-$300. It is what it is, and a good DVR from Solid Signal should last a good 2-3 years until the next big thing.

The HR34 is somewhat the exception since it was first shown late 2010, so we're already in the 3rd year, but the HR44 seems like it will be a great investment.

And Dish isn't an option in some geographies if you watch sports. No RSN's, thus not a player.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#265 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,127 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Actually it was worse in 2004, man we've come a long way!
Order date: 	  	       xx-xx-2004 xx:xx:xx PM

Products ordered:

SKU: 	  	        HR10-63

Product: 	  	DirecTV HR10-250 HD TiVo Upgraded to 63 HD Hours

Quantity: 	  	1

Item price: 	  	$ 1,299.00

DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#266 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 320 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Actually it was worse in 2004, man we've come a long way!

Order date: 	  	       xx-xx-2004 xx:xx:xx PM
Products ordered:
    	SKU: 	  	        HR10-63
    	Product: 	  	DirecTV HR10-250 HD TiVo Upgraded to 63 HD Hours
    	Quantity: 	  	1
    	Item price: 	  	$ 1,299.00

Back then that was the only in home way of recording HD...except for DVHS...which I even thought of buying into (glad I didn't).

HR44-500 Genie
2 C41W-100 Wireless Genie Minis and WVB
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#267 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,315 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Switching that often would drive me nuts. I'm happy with my equipment, the channels I get in HD. Time Warner is horrible here in picture quality, and I have no interest in the Hopper. Last time I used a Dish DVR at my in laws, I couldn't figure the thing out.

I'll stay put.

#268 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,127 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Switching that often would drive me nuts. I'm happy with my equipment, the channels I get in HD. Time Warner is horrible here in picture quality, and I have no interest in the Hopper. Last time I used a Dish DVR at my in laws, I couldn't figure the thing out.

I'll stay put.

I'm with you, it takes years to fine tune a great setup, and then continue to fine tune it, and get the family happy, and investment in time to understand every technical detail of the system and screen, and investment in dollars for backup scenarios, and memorization of the button presses without looking, ...

#269 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,341 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

I've switched a few times and never took more than a day or two to get everything set up right. And about a week to have the channels I watch figured out.

It just is not a big deal to switch between D* and E* at all. Cable boxes are something else, but that is because they are such crap.

And for me the RSNs have no real value. I watch boxing and golf and neither of those depend on an RSN, and I can get all the football and other sports on ESPN and local channels.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#270 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,315 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

The other thing is I honestly avoid the techs as much as possible. Just not many good experiences.

#271 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

The other thing is I honestly avoid the techs as much as possible. Just not many good experiences.

Agree 100%
I've considered trying to get a genie but I don't want to waste my time waiting for a tech who may or may not show up and likely doesn't know as much as about i do about hooking this stuff up (and I don't claim to be an expert).
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#272 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,315 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

I self installed, but when I went SWM it took three tech appointments to get the Internet connected to the SWM cloud. Was about to take a fourth.

#273 OFFLINE   tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

I pulled the plug and churned to E* last week. After many years with D* it was an emotionally tough thing to do, but after sitting there being the sucker subsidizing others' new equipment and lower rates, while being stuck with a dog-slow DVR, I got pushed close enough to the edge. The expired free HD and looming annual rate increase finished pushing me over. I beat the E* increase by a few days to duck one years worth of annual increases with the 12-month price lock. After a few days experience I feel like it's pretty much a tossup which service is the overall winner for me. D* does some things better, E* does some things better. The very best service was D* a couple of years ago, when the HR-22 was reasonably responsive and trick play worked in the program guide. To D*'s shame, the single biggest advantage of the E* DVR is that when you press a button, it responds in under a second. Imagine that from a computer!

After making the big leap the first time I don't think the emotional attachment will return, and if switching back in 2 years is the best deal, I'll do it. Forum posts make it sound like the response of an HR24 or Genie is tolerable. D* shouldn't have screwed up the software if they weren't willing to eat the cost of upgrading the hardware they ruined. I don't like the pricing games they play. It's their game, and switching providers to avoid being taken advantage of is an available loophole. I think both companies are idiots, and sticking it to long-term customers for short-term gain isn't going to work out in the end.

#274 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

...but after sitting there being the sucker subsidizing others' new equipment and lower rates...

Welcome to every television service provider in North America.
DTV = Digital Television

#275 OFFLINE   dherndon

dherndon

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Continued from General Discussion Forum....

Can someone tell me if I DID manage to armtwist DTV into upgrading me to an HR34 whether it will perform better than the HR20-100s slowpoke I have now? That's my number one criteria for sticking with DTV from this point on. I'm tired of the slow DVR.

Dave.

#276 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,315 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

In my experience, yes.

#277 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

I believe the point is that you can thank the service providers as this "game" is THEIR design.

I've said before that they would probably do better and have much less churn if prices decreased the longer you've been with them. Cheap to get you in, then a jump in the second year, followed by a freeze or small drop each year thereafter. You leave and you lose.

For some reason though, spending $1000-2000 on a new customer always seems like a wise more over cutting loyal customers a $50/year break for staying. Maniacal business model.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#278 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Continued from General Discussion Forum....

Can someone tell me if I DID manage to armtwist DTV into upgrading me to an HR34 whether it will perform better than the HR20-100s slowpoke I have now? That's my number one criteria for sticking with DTV from this point on. I'm tired of the slow DVR.

Dave.

This is very subjective. My HR20 is very speedy...you may think its way too slow. Perhaps there is a problem with your HR20, like the HDD is failing? MY HR20 is faster than either of my HR22's, but at times my HR22's appear to run fine, other times they are very slow to respond. The biggest difference is my HR20 never seems to run slower, its pretty consistent. Most people agree that the HR24's are the fastest, even faster than the HR34's, but there are people that think the HR24's are too slow. SOme reports of slow HR24's turned out later to be determined to be a failing HDD or some other part that actually went bad causing it to be slow. Always something to check into.

#279 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

When my HR20-700 started running slow about 18 months ago I followed all the suggestions at this forum without any lasting success. DirecTV would not replace my unit.

I switched to FiOS. My DVR from them was fine for a year, then slowed down in November. Verizon sent me a replacement unit overnight; it's been working fine for almost two months.

No provider is perfect, but FiOS is way ahead of the game, IMO, on this issue at least.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

Protected By... spam firewall...And...