Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 from DirecTV - Why Current Customers Treated So Poorly

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:08 PM

I don't feel entitled and I never call and try to get free stuff. I have been a DirecTV customer since 1994 and really have no other options, so I'm not going anywhere. But I do get aggravated that as a $3K+ a year customer, I can't get the latest equipment, but someone with the lowest package that hasn't paid them a cent does.

You got a HR34 before a ton of people. So, how aren't you getting the latest equipment?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:20 PM

To answer the question of the thread about current customers being treated so poorly, its common in most public companies.

If you listen to the earnings calls of public companies that offer services (cable, sat, cellular, etc.), they focus on new subscribers, increase in average monthly revenue (aka ARPU or ANSC) and churn rates. New subs win over everything. As long as the new customer rate exceeds the churn rate (i.e. disconnects), they are growing.

We are conditioned to wheel and deal after all contracts end. Granted if there's a mass exodus for dissatisfaction, then things may be modified but historically, this rarely happens.

Please explain how existing customers are treated poorly as I've never understood this. Very few customers from DIRECTV are still around from when you had to buy your own equipment to get setup. Out of those I'd bet none of them have never been given a free upgrade at some point in their life with DIRECTV.

Satellite new customer offers exist because they would be unable to sign up new customers without them due to their business models vs cable. Now if you want them to switch to a cable model, which people love to compare them by because cable gives them whatever equipment they have in the shop, then you need to start adding in rental costs to your bill.

Given that DIRECTV has a churn rate of 1.5% and you can read the threads of all the discounts across the web they take care of their existing customers. The fact is people like to complain about what they don't get and never state what they do get.

Every time a new piece of technology comes out you have people pissed off because they can't get it. SWM was like this, every time a new HD DVR comes out it's like this, and WHDVR is like this and it's not DIRECTV's fault that people think they deserve the latest and "greatest" every time something comes out. DIRECTV has not said that existing customers will never get this. What they have said is that right now it's only available for new installs and existing customers had to wait a whole 3 months if they want to get it from DIRECTV. People right now are getting them through retailers there's a whole thread about it.

As much as people love to postulate how good other providers really are compared to a service they've been paying for for however many years they should just go to that company. The fact that they choose to come here and complain shows that they see a value and know that there is something they're getting that they can't get elsewhere, or not as good in some aspect, it's just whining. If another provider was truly better for someone they would just switch because that would be the smart thing to do.

#23 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,859 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

Shades I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing, just trying to answer the OP's original question with corporate practices that seems to have contributed to their perception. ;)

#24 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:12 PM

Shades I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing, just trying to answer the OP's original question with corporate practices that seems to have contributed to their perception. ;)

Fair enough I read the last part of your opening sentence as agreeing with the situation. Sorry if that post seemed mainly directed as you, because I quoted only your post, because it was more of a response to about 4 posts.

#25 OFFLINE   akopperl

akopperl

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:12 PM

First off a HR34 is not classified as a HD DVR. Secondly you can order one from from online retailers.

However there is good news. You can get an HR 34 guaranteed in about 45 days for the cost of $399.

So I guess we'll see you back in 45 days complaining about how they want to charge you.

If you read my second post - you would see I am more than willing to pay for the HR34 and their installation charge. What I would like to avoid is going to a 3rd party installer that will try to charge me ridiculous rates for the switch, install, etc. If DirecTV is willing to do it for less, why should I overpay. Just trying to find out, based on other people's experiences, what DirecTV will cover. Try reading the entire thread, before you take an unnecessary shot at me.

There is nothing wrong with complaining about a practice that is not well thought out. Why should a customer pay for a product and service and have no idea what they are getting? Basically DirecTV tells you, the paying customer, you'll take whatever receiver we show up with. This has happened to me before.

I just want a fair shot at the hardware and to be treated like a valued customer. As you can see they have issues. According to many posters, the CSR gave me bad information.

#26 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:20 PM

If you read my second post - you would see I am more than willing to pay for the HR34 and their installation charge. What I would like to avoid is going to a 3rd party installer that will try to charge me ridiculous rates for the switch, install, etc. If DirecTV is willing to do it for less, why should I overpay. Just trying to find out, based on other people's experiences, what DirecTV will cover. Try reading the entire thread, before you take an unnecessary shot at me.

There is nothing wrong with complaining about a practice that is not well thought out. Why should a customer pay for a product and service and have no idea what they are getting? Basically DirecTV tells you, the paying customer, you'll take whatever receiver we show up with. This has happened to me before.

I just want a fair shot at the hardware and to be treated like a valued customer. As you can see they have issues. According to many posters, the CSR gave me bad information.

You can order the HR34 from a retailer and order the installation from DIRECTV.

New customers get whatever they get as well. The HR34 is not a HD DVR it's a HMC so that order can be ordered specifically even for existing customers once available. Now if they make a HR35 then the rule will apply you get what you get unless they overhaul their systems, not likely. As far as the whole cannot guarantee you model number that discussion has been addressed countless times, including in other HR34 threads.

If you had read any of the other HR34 threads you would have gotten this information before this post. Also read the title of your thread and tell me that reads "Where can I get an HR34?" it's clear by the title that you're upset that DIRECTV will not order you an HR34 and you assume that you will have to pay things you won't if you did some research. There's a stickied thread in this same forum you posted in and if you had read even the last 5 pages you would have his information.

#27 OFFLINE   akopperl

akopperl

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:22 PM

To answer the question of the thread about current customers being treated so poorly, its common in most public companies.

If you listen to the earnings calls of public companies that offer services (cable, sat, cellular, etc.), they focus on new subscribers, increase in average monthly revenue (aka ARPU or ANSC) and churn rates. New subs win over everything. As long as the new customer rate exceeds the churn rate (i.e. disconnects), they are growing.

We are conditioned to wheel and deal after all contracts end. Granted if there's a mass exodus for dissatisfaction, then things may be modified but historically, this rarely happens.

You are right new customer growth is important - but so is customer retention. For example, if new subscribers increase significantly (+5% from your prior month base), but overall subscriptions only go up 1%, you have an issue - the model may not be sustainable. You are working very hard, for very little. DirecTV may be an exception as many people have limited options - satellite or your cable company.

In my previous business, if we didn't guarantee our longest standing and highest volume customers, the best rates, best service and best/newest products - we would have went out of business. Too many customers would have went to another brand.

Edited by akopperl, 24 December 2011 - 06:11 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:26 PM

It's pretty simple. Money and constricted supply.

DirecTV knows if they add a new customer it increases their revenues more than if they just add $5 to the monthly bill of a current customer. So they are prioritizing new customers over current ones.

Once the supply problems end, they'll offer them to everyone, because any increase in revenue is better than none.
room 1:
HR34-700 through Sony STR-DA5300ES amp to LG 55" LE8500 LCD flat panel via HDMI. Discrete OTA.

room 2:
On break. I thought I'd get something in time for baseball, but...

AU9 SWM dish. Channel Master 4228 for UHF + big yagi for VHF w/CM7777 combiner/amplifier.

Connected via wired GigE to Apple Time Capsule base station.

#29 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:27 PM

You may be right growth is important - but so is customer retention. For example, if new subscribers go up by 5%, but overall subscriptions only go up 1%, you have an issue - the model may not be sustainable. You are working very hard, for very little. DirecTV may be an exception as many people have limited options - satellite or your cable company.

In my previous business, if we didn't guarantee our longest standing and highest volume customers, the best rates, best service and best/newest products - we would have went out of business. Too many customers would have went to another brand.

DIRECTV increasing it's customer base by 1% is 190k customers. That's good growth no matter how you slice it.

#30 OFFLINE   akopperl

akopperl

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

Also read the title of your thread and tell me that reads "Where can I get an HR34?" it's clear by the title that you're upset that DIRECTV will not order you an HR34 and you assume that you will have to pay things you won't if you did some research. There's a stickied thread in this same forum you posted in and if you had read even the last 5 pages you would have his information.

I'm not going to argue with you all day. I stand by my statements. The CSR - a DirecTV agent - told me they will NEVER be able to guarantee me an HR34. I could order a DVR, today, tomorrow, next month or next year and I will get whatever DVR they have. She basically said they are available and it is the luck of the draw.

This has happened to me before - so I had no reason to believe she was incorrect. I wanted an HR24 a little while back and I was told - we can't guarantee you the HR24 - you'll take whatever the installer shows up with. To me, that is ridiculous. I can't think of anything else I buy, where I am expected to accept such stupidity. I think it is ok to complain about that - sorry. I though the HR34 was being treated in the same way based on what she told me.

I apologize for not reading the other threads, but my thread was based on what DirecTV told me and I didn't research the entire site. I did read a few threads, but not enough.

#31 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:41 PM

You may be right growth is important - but so is customer retention. For example, if new subscribers go up by 5%, but overall subscriptions only go up 1%, you have an issue - the model may not be sustainable. You are working very hard, for very little. DirecTV may be an exception as many people have limited options - satellite or your cable company.

To this I would say two things.

1. DirectTV puts their customers under contract for a reason. Okay, one reason is so you can get a free install. But even if you don't get an install at all you still have to sign up for 2 years to activate or change your service. They realize that having you under contract means it's less likely you can really leave as a customer.

2. DirectTV clearly feels they don't directly compete with other services. That many customers can't follow through on quitting DirecTV because DirecTV offers something the other services don't. There is a reason DirecTV pays so much for NFL Sunday Ticket exclusivity, so much that it seems likely they don't directly make the cost back just on Sunday Ticket revenues, but they must consider that Sunday Ticket also contributes to their other revenues, by bringing/retaining customers they wouldn't otherwise have.
room 1:
HR34-700 through Sony STR-DA5300ES amp to LG 55" LE8500 LCD flat panel via HDMI. Discrete OTA.

room 2:
On break. I thought I'd get something in time for baseball, but...

AU9 SWM dish. Channel Master 4228 for UHF + big yagi for VHF w/CM7777 combiner/amplifier.

Connected via wired GigE to Apple Time Capsule base station.

#32 OFFLINE   akopperl

akopperl

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:44 PM

DIRECTV increasing it's customer base by 1% is 190k customers. That's good growth no matter how you slice it.

Just quoting a hypothetical example - poorly worded. If you acquired a certain number of new subscriptions, but lose almost as many as you gained - you may not survive. I could have stated that you lose more than you gained - just trying to state that customer retention is important. I am sure that DirecTV states the number of new subscribers - then total growth or loss. There is a huge cost for acquiring customers (advertising, hardware, labor, discounted programming, etc.) and if you continue to lose existing customers at a rapid rate - profitability will be a challenge. Most business models like this lose money upon customer inception with profitability improving the longer you remain a customer.

A well run company, will also focus on the number of subscriber's lost, understanding some loss is inevitable, but needs to be controlled.

Edited by akopperl, 24 December 2011 - 05:56 PM.

#33 OFFLINE   akopperl

akopperl

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:49 PM

To this I would say two things.

1. DirectTV puts their customers under contract for a reason. Okay, one reason is so you can get a free install. But even if you don't get an install at all you still have to sign up for 2 years to activate or change your service. They realize that having you under contract means it's less likely you can really leave as a customer.

2. DirectTV clearly feels they don't directly compete with other services. That many customers can't follow through on quitting DirecTV because DirecTV offers something the other services don't. There is a reason DirecTV pays so much for NFL Sunday Ticket exclusivity, so much that it seems likely they don't directly make the cost back just on Sunday Ticket revenues, but they must consider that Sunday Ticket also contributes to their other revenues, by bringing/retaining customers they wouldn't otherwise have.

Agreed, but if everyone left within two years - they would be in trouble. Obviously, that is not a realistic scenario, but they would have a hard time selling their viability if everyone left after two years.

#34 OFFLINE   TAK3210

TAK3210

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:05 PM

... then you need to start adding in rental costs to your bill.

:confused: Am I the only moh-ron paying a $6 "lease" fee?

#35 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,742 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:12 PM

Definitely not. Personally, I have a lease fee and an additional receiver fee.

#36 OFFLINE   TAK3210

TAK3210

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:22 PM

Definitely not. Personally, I have a lease fee and an additional receiver fee.

OK, same here. I feel better. :)

#37 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:31 PM

It makes absolutely no difference what they call it, you pay $6 for each additional receiver beyond the 1st, whether its called a lease fee or an additional receiver fee, we all pay it.

#38 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:03 PM

I'm not going to argue with you all day. I stand by my statements. The CSR - a DirecTV agent - told me they will NEVER be able to guarantee me an HR34. I could order a DVR, today, tomorrow, next month or next year and I will get whatever DVR they have. She basically said they are available and it is the luck of the draw.

This has happened to me before - so I had no reason to believe she was incorrect. I wanted an HR24 a little while back and I was told - we can't guarantee you the HR24 - you'll take whatever the installer shows up with. To me, that is ridiculous. I can't think of anything else I buy, where I am expected to accept such stupidity. I think it is ok to complain about that - sorry. I though the HR34 was being treated in the same way based on what she told me.

I apologize for not reading the other threads, but my thread was based on what DirecTV told me and I didn't research the entire site. I did read a few threads, but not enough.

The point is that the CSR was reading their script about DVRs and you were ordering a HMC. It's very possible the CSR kept confusing HR34 for HR24 as they probably have never heard or been trained on the HR34. So in the CSRs view, what they were telling you was accurate.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#39 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:43 PM

You got a HR34 before a ton of people. So, how aren't you getting the latest equipment?

Yes I did, but I had to go through a third party retailer. And I was paying attention. I could not have called DirecTV and gotten one. And it seems I may not have been supposed to be able to have gotten one from where I did.

Which brings up the point of why can I get one from a 3rd party and not directly from DirecTV? Getting one from a third party still takes one out of inventory that could be used on a new customer.

Edited by Herdfan, 24 December 2011 - 08:52 PM.

#40 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

It's pretty simple. Money and constricted supply.

DirecTV knows if they add a new customer it increases their revenues more than if they just add $5 to the monthly bill of a current customer. So they are prioritizing new customers over current ones.

Once the supply problems end, they'll offer them to everyone, because any increase in revenue is better than none.

I do understand that part, but how many of these "new" customers even know what an HR34 is? Most of these people were going to sign up for service anyway and just happen to be on the right side of an arbitrary date or they could be getting HR21's.

Now if DirecTV were advertising the HR34 and people were calling in based on that advertisement then that is a different story.

spam firewall