Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 from DirecTV - Why Current Customers Treated So Poorly

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:06 PM

PQ is the same everywhere on Uverse...only the number of streams varies. I have both, too, and find PQ not as bad as I expected but not even close to DIRECTV.

What gets me is you and others feel entitled to free stuff and discounts and hate new customers get them, then you do the same thing...switch (or continue to threaten to every week in your case) to get free stuff and discounts...which you feel isn't fair. Makes no sense, but whatever.

And I think everyone got a new customer thing that was in place when they first signed up. Why should they keep giving you the same new customer deal year after year? With that said,they really need to install a good loyalty reward program for customers who have been around awhile so they can choose certain things after certain amount of time, instead of just automatically giving something randomly once a year. Let us earn points towards free hardware, or what have you.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,675 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:14 PM

So how many single HR34 threads are we gonna have going even though we have a dedicated discussion thread? Im just sayin...

The HMC needs a HMC Forum, not just a single thread.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#43 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:57 PM

Yes I did, but I had to go through a third party retailer. And I was paying attention. I could not have called DirecTV and gotten one. And it seems I may not have been supposed to be able to have gotten one from where I did.

Which brings up the point of why can I get one from a 3rd party and not directly from DirecTV? Getting one from a third party still takes one out of inventory that could be used on a new customer.

DirecTV has different channels, direct and retail. I guess you can get HR34s through retail. My suspicion is that the retailers still sold to sell it only to new customers and the retailers are disregarding this.

I do understand that part, but how many of these "new" customers even know what an HR34 is? Most of these people were going to sign up for service anyway and just happen to be on the right side of an arbitrary date or they could be getting HR21's.

Now if DirecTV were advertising the HR34 and people were calling in based on that advertisement then that is a different story.

Why advertise something you don't have enough of to go around? A few will find out for themselves, from the website. Others can be upsold by phone reps. Both of these are a lot cheaper than paying for ads to raise awareness of something you might not be able to deliver if they did ask for anyway.

And I think everyone got a new customer thing that was in place when they first signed up. Why should they keep giving you the same new customer deal year after year? With that said,they really need to install a good loyalty reward program for customers who have been around awhile so they can choose certain things after certain amount of time, instead of just automatically giving something randomly once a year. Let us earn points towards free hardware, or what have you.

I agree, it's clearly not cost-effective for them to replace a lot of equipment for each customer every year. They do really have a loyalty program, they just don't tell anyone about it. You are earning points toward free hardware, they just don't make it clear. I would imagine they perceive this saves them money, and they're probably right.

Honestly, it bugs me a bit more than even if you do have ancient hardware, DirecTV can't even upgrade you unless it's to a different class! You cannot specify what equipment you get, so if you have an HR22 right now, there's no way for them (that I know of) to send you an HR24. You can buy one at retail, but then you have to pay. Kinda lame.
room 1:
HR34-700 through Sony STR-DA5300ES amp to LG 55" LE8500 LCD flat panel via HDMI. Discrete OTA.

room 2:
On break. I thought I'd get something in time for baseball, but...

AU9 SWM dish. Channel Master 4228 for UHF + big yagi for VHF w/CM7777 combiner/amplifier.

Connected via wired GigE to Apple Time Capsule base station.

#44 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:51 PM

:confused: Am I the only moh-ron paying a $6 "lease" fee?

Definitely not. Personally, I have a lease fee and an additional receiver fee.

As discussed many times this is a mirroring fee for programming. The designation is just to differentiate that a receiver is leased or not.

#45 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,940 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:31 AM

As discussed many times this is a mirroring fee for programming. The designation is just to differentiate that a receiver is leased or not.

Effective Feb 2012 it will be called additional receiver fee, whether leased or owned. That should eliminate a lot of confusion.

#46 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:23 AM

The HMC needs a HMC Forum, not just a single thread.

And when they are more readily available in Feb or so, I'm sure there will be. It doesnt make sense to start touting the feature of the new limited availability HMC until everyone can have access to ordering one. Look at the trouble talking about it here has caused so far.

#47 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:30 AM

And I think everyone got a new customer thing that was in place when they first signed up. Why should they keep giving you the same new customer deal year after year?

Well, if you must know, I have NEVER gotten a new customer deal. DirecTV was a wedding/housewarming present from my parents. We got married and were moving into a new house. It was a new street and cable was not completely built out yet, so my dad had a local TV shop install it while we were on our honeymoon.

Cost was $700 for a receiver and dual LNB dish.

Since then every upgrade to the dish was done by the same local TV shop (Phase III) or myself (Slimline) at my cost. Not even subsidized by DirecTV. All receivers have been bought/acquired at 3rd party retailers (BB, CC, SS, VE).

So actually, I probably do deserve a new customer deal.:P ;)

#48 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:40 AM

Well, if you must know, I have NEVER gotten a new customer deal. DirecTV was a wedding/housewarming present from my parents. We got married and were moving into a new house. It was a new street and cable was not completely built out yet, so my dad had a local TV shop install it while we were on our honeymoon.

Since then every upgrade to the dish was done by the same local TV shop (Phase III) or myself (Slimline) at my cost. Not even subsidized by DirecTV. All receivers have been bought/acquired at 3rd party retailers (BB, CC, SS, VE).

I think a lot of us original subscribers fall into the same category. Like you, I installed my first $700 RCA receiver with 18" dish, and over the years, upgraded from Best Buy, and picked up new dishes at the local satellite dealer. Ive gotten some perks over the years from DirecTv in the form of $5 bill credits, free Red Zone, etc...but never received a new customer deal of any sort. Did get to test a free HD receiver for them a year ago, which was a blast.

I was raised before the entitlement syndrome came about, so I still believe if you want an upgrade, you pay for it. If they offer it free, or discount an installation, then I consider that a reward for being a long time customer, but I surly dont expect it.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#49 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:43 AM

Effective Feb 2012 it will be called additional receiver fee, whether leased or owned. That should eliminate a lot of confusion.

Never was confused by it myself. So now we really have no way to verify that an owned receiver on our account is actually shown as owned in DirecTv's system, without calling them. Any time a change is made to a computerized system requiring a phone call vs being able to get the information online, I consider a step backwards.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#50 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,112 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:45 AM

Never was confused by it myself. So now we really have no way to verify that an owned receiver on our account is actually shown as owned in DirecTv's system, without calling them. Any time a change is made to a computerized system requiring a phone call vs being able to get the information online, I consider a step backwards.

Agreed, the least they could do is under 'My Equipment" is have a column which can be checked by DirecTV to indicate owned equipment. They could even list owned Equipment in a different color if adding a new column is a problem.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#51 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,675 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:01 PM

And when they are more readily available in Feb or so, I'm sure there will be. It doesnt make sense to start touting the feature of the new limited availability HMC until everyone can have access to ordering one. Look at the trouble talking about it here has caused so far.

Waiting just allow the current threads to get lost.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#52 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:04 PM

You know, I thought so at first too,but upon further thought, I don't think it's needed. It's simply a hr24 with more tuners, so after the initial issues are worked out, why separate it out? As for the rvu parts,those belong in the connected home forum, same as the deca and mrv information.

#53 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:06 PM

You have done that by choice. I am sure over the years you could have gotten free receiver upgrades going to hd, etc. What programing deal did you get when you signed up? ;)

Maybe in feb you should see what they will do for you on a hr34. :)

#54 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:07 PM

I think a lot of us original subscribers fall into the same category. Like you, I installed my first $700 RCA receiver with 18" dish, and over the years, upgraded from Best Buy, and picked up new dishes at the local satellite dealer. Ive gotten some perks over the years from DirecTv in the form of $5 bill credits, free Red Zone, etc...but never received a new customer deal of any sort. Did get to test a free HD receiver for them a year ago, which was a blast.

I was raised before the entitlement syndrome came about, so I still believe if you want an upgrade, you pay for it. If they offer it free, or discount an installation, then I consider that a reward for being a long time customer, but I surly dont expect it.

What was your programing package when you signed up? ;)

#55 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:28 PM

You have done that by choice.......What programing deal did you get when you signed up? ;)

Maybe in feb you should see what they will do for you on a hr34. :)

Yes I have. Kind of picky about who touches my stuff. Don't want a DirecTV installer messing with ANYTHING. On the other hand, it has saved DirecTV a lot of money.

None that I know of. Back then DirecTV had some of the programming and USSB had the rest. As far as I can remember, the only "deal" I got was last year when I called to cancel ST because I was never home to watch it and she gave me 50% off to keep it. Really was not fishing for a deal. Offered similar this year, but I did cancel it anyway.

Not enough channels on a SWM-16. :) Actually, if I could get some recorded programming off a couple of DVR's, then I would be able to replace a couple of them with regular receivers. So then I would have 2xHR34, 1xHR24, 1xHR20 and 2xH25. Or maybe they will just make the SWM-32 be able to bridge all 4 SWM-8's for WHDVR. :)

#56 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:37 PM

Yes I have. Kind of picky about who touches my stuff. Don't want a DirecTV installer messing with ANYTHING. On the other hand, it has saved DirecTV a lot of money.

None that I know of. Back then DirecTV had some of the programming and USSB had the rest. As far as I can remember, the only "deal" I got was last year when I called to cancel ST because I was never home to watch it and she gave me 50% off to keep it. Really was not fishing for a deal. Offered similar this year, but I did cancel it anyway.

Not enough channels on a SWM-16. :) Actually, if I could get some recorded programming off a couple of DVR's, then I would be able to replace a couple of them with regular receivers. So then I would have 2xHR34, 1xHR24, 1xHR20 and 2xH25. Or maybe they will just make the SWM-32 be able to bridge all 4 SWM-8's for WHDVR. :)

You could bridge a two swim16 if you want!

I am making plans now, and have already rearranged some of my sl's on my current hr's to begin clearing off a few dvrs to replace with hr34s. S I hear ya on that one! :)

#57 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 05:50 PM

Your router would bridge them as long as you had them connected to one instead of using the receiver cloud. Considering the costs of the multi-swtiches alone I would order it from DIRECTV and have them install it. The wiring is already done all you need to do is designate which cable you want to use for the PI.

#58 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:58 PM

MMMMMMMM I wonder what old goat said that MRV is what is needed not Multi Room streaming.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#59 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:10 AM

MMMMMMMM I wonder what old goat said that MRV is what is needed not Multi Room streaming.

We have mrv, you want to move stuff. That's not the same. If I have to wait for it to move a video, and can't watch it in two places at once at different spots, then it isn't mrv, it's moving it around to where you are, and that takes time, creates more wear and tear, and is nothing short of annoying if that's your only solution. No thanks. Doesn't solve his problem either, he needs to stop recording on his units first, so he doesn't keep them full. Or get hr34 installed with all his current equipment, get it recording, and then watch just stuff on the units he wants to return for a month. Moving would be nice, but it's the only answer here.

#60 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:11 AM

PQ is the same everywhere on Uverse...only the number of streams varies. I have both, too, and find PQ not as bad as I expected but not even close to DIRECTV.

We I nor any of my friends can tell the PQ difference form D* or Uverse on my 42" Panny Plasmas, period! My is what maters, right/

spam firewall