Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 from DirecTV - Why Current Customers Treated So Poorly

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:17 AM

Please explain how existing customers are treated poorly as I've never understood this. Very few customers from DIRECTV are still around from when you had to buy your own equipment to get setup. Out of those I'd bet none of them have never been given a free upgrade at some point in their life with DIRECTV.

Satellite new customer offers exist because they would be unable to sign up new customers without them due to their business models vs cable. Now if you want them to switch to a cable model, which people love to compare them by because cable gives them whatever equipment they have in the shop, then you need to start adding in rental costs to your bill.

Given that DIRECTV has a churn rate of 1.5% and you can read the threads of all the discounts across the web they take care of their existing customers. The fact is people like to complain about what they don't get and never state what they do get.

Every time a new piece of technology comes out you have people pissed off because they can't get it. SWM was like this, every time a new HD DVR comes out it's like this, and WHDVR is like this and it's not DIRECTV's fault that people think they deserve the latest and "greatest" every time something comes out. DIRECTV has not said that existing customers will never get this. What they have said is that right now it's only available for new installs and existing customers had to wait a whole 3 months if they want to get it from DIRECTV. People right now are getting them through retailers there's a whole thread about it.

As much as people love to postulate how good other providers really are compared to a service they've been paying for for however many years they should just go to that company. The fact that they choose to come here and complain shows that they see a value and know that there is something they're getting that they can't get elsewhere, or not as good in some aspect, it's just whining. If another provider was truly better for someone they would just switch because that would be the smart thing to do.

Get what? I been offered just about NOTHING form DIRECTV in 11 years.
My first HD Tivo was a wedding gift, I paid for an upgrade to DIRECTV's HR20 myself. I paid for my own SWIM/LNB and installed myself. paid for my HR21-100 one I need another DVR. Installed myself.

MRV, had unsupported on my network before I asked for a DECA set-up, thinking it was better. It was not and that's the ONLY thing DIRECTV had helped out with in 11 years of being as subscriber. AT&T wireless and Home internet have ALWAYS offered me freebies and upgrades/special pricing for loyalty. So, YES, DIRECTV should help loyal subscribers here and they, especially, you you must PAY for a HD DVR to get service! :rolleyes:

Edited by gio12, 26 December 2011 - 07:26 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:22 AM

To this I would say two things.

1. DirectTV puts their customers under contract for a reason. Okay, one reason is so you can get a free install. But even if you don't get an install at all you still have to sign up for 2 years to activate or change your service. They realize that having you under contract means it's less likely you can really leave as a customer.

2. DirectTV clearly feels they don't directly compete with other services. That many customers can't follow through on quitting DirecTV because DirecTV offers something the other services don't. There is a reason DirecTV pays so much for NFL Sunday Ticket exclusivity, so much that it seems likely they don't directly make the cost back just on Sunday Ticket revenues, but they must consider that Sunday Ticket also contributes to their other revenues, by bringing/retaining customers they wouldn't otherwise have.

Free installs? Really, that;s a reason for a 2 yr contract that I paid $199 for to get a DVR?

A money can do 99% of D* installs. Hmm, bolt a dish to the house and run a few wires to the houses ALREADY install Cable companies coax runs.

That should force me into a 2 year contract for a lease piece of equipment? At least I OWN my phone on a 2 yrs contract.

#63 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:24 AM

[QUOTE=flipptyfloppity;2926693

I agree, it's clearly not cost-effective for them to replace a lot of equipment for each customer every year. They do really have a loyalty program, they just don't tell anyone about it. You are earning points toward free hardware, they just don't make it clear. I would imagine they perceive this saves them money, and they're probably right.
e.[/QUOTE]

Really? What? for Who? Never been offered SQUAT in 11 years of service, NOTHING!

#64 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:36 AM

You have heard of multiquote right?
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#65 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:47 AM

We I nor any of my friends can tell the PQ difference form D* or Uverse on my 42" Panny Plasmas, period! My is what maters, right/

It is. But PQ is subjective. You are still limited to 4 total streams into your house.

#66 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:53 AM

On a 58" plasma, it is easy to see uverse loses vs Directv at my friends house. This is a tv I owned and sold to him, and it's calibrated.

I also agree PQ is subjective, because screen size. viewing distance, and the persons overall understanding of quality varies. I own my own gear and calibrate my displays. It's pretty easy for me to say Directv looks better than Dish and Uverse on a large calibrated screen. I've also been watching HD since 2004 and seen plenty of good and bad.
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200

#67 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:47 AM

We have mrv, you want to move stuff. That's not the same. If I have to wait for it to move a video, and can't watch it in two places at once at different spots, then it isn't mrv, it's moving it around to where you are, and that takes time, creates more wear and tear, and is nothing short of annoying if that's your only solution. No thanks. Doesn't solve his problem either, he needs to stop recording on his units first, so he doesn't keep them full. Or get hr34 installed with all his current equipment, get it recording, and then watch just stuff on the units he wants to return for a month. Moving would be nice, but it's the only answer here.

Not moving it, duplicating it and you watch in two places while it duplicates.

And let's say he recorded the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade on a unit he is choosing to deactivate. His friend was standing where one of the talking heads interviewed him. He really wants to keep this recording. Or any other one time good only show. I guess the only thing he can do is record it with a standalone recorder. OK if you have one but the PQ is going to suffer.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#68 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:59 AM

It is. But PQ is subjective. You are still limited to 4 total streams into your house.

Yes, you are limited for now. I don't need more than 4 HD streams anyways.
if others do, I might be hard pressed to recommend the service.

Its going to be a moot point sometime next year anyways for most Uverse customers. But I decided to stick with DIRECTV for now.

Edited by gio12, 26 December 2011 - 04:42 PM.

#69 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:24 PM

Its going to be a mute point sometime next year...

Is Uverse launching a new closed captioning service :lol:
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#70 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:43 PM

Now thats funny right there.

[IMG]http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv273/Philadelphia1776/Larry_Cable_Guy_thats_funny_right_t.jpg&sa=X&ei=Tc74TquIA4WAsgLtgLnQAQ&ved=0CAwQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFgqLlgY0u6P8-WIJ7EBKJNofOqiQ[/IMG]
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200

#71 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:43 PM

Not moving it, duplicating it and you watch in two places while it duplicates.

And let's say he recorded the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade on a unit he is choosing to deactivate. His friend was standing where one of the talking heads interviewed him. He really wants to keep this recording. Or any other one time good only show. I guess the only thing he can do is record it with a standalone recorder. OK if you have one but the PQ is going to suffer.

How do you start in one place, and then finish in another by simply hitting resume? Does TiVo do that? And really, duplicate recordings everywhere so I can watch something in any room I want, why bother? Defeats the purpose of using multiple dvrs so you don't have space issues.

Again, for changing dvrs it's a great feature, but for mrv, I don't see any advantages over streaming for mrv. And dvrs are not meant for archiving anyway, even if some people use them for that. They are meant for time shifting. Two very different things.

#72 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:55 PM

TiVo is for both time shifting, archiving and sharing when away from the location of the DVRs. thats what we are used to.

On the TiVo interface, lets say I am watching a program in the living room. When I stop it there and go to the bedroom, I am given the option of starting from the beginning or from the paused/stopped location in the living room. And duplicating the recordings is not bad because when we do a duplicate we remove it when done watching since it still resides on the original DVR.

I will quit with this now as we are both convinced that one method is better than the other.

#73 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,813 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:05 PM

And dvrs are not meant for archiving anyway, even if some people use them for that. They are meant for time shifting. Two very different things.

True... but unfortunately, there's no way to archive something (in HD) from a DirecTV HD-DVR.

My cousin and a couple of her friends were in the audience of "Live With Kelly!" shortly before Christmas. I recorded it on WABC, KABC, and a (somewhat) local affiliate. The (somewhat) local affiliate does not air it in HD (which is a shame since it's 1080i versus WABC's and KABC's 720p), so I deleted it, but I still have the ABC feeds. Sadly, I know that if I ever get rid of those DVRs, or something happens to them, I'll lose those recordings.

From a logistics standpoint (thanks to the wonderful SWiM and DECA technologies), streaming works great, and I no longer prefer copying for MRV versus streaming. However, that doesn't change the fact that there are multiple ways in which copying can come in handy... and not just for swapping DVRs. One thing I've run into a few times is that in my house, I have my own DVRs, and a shared DVR. Sometimes I'll want to save something on the shared DVR to go back to later, but unfortunately, space needs to be made on it, and sacrifices must be made. With copying, I could transfer it to another DVR, and get it out of others' way.

That being said, while I'd like to have a way to offload content in the future, it doesn't appear to be coming anytime soon... and MRV works great 99.2% of the time. :D

~Alan

#74 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:09 PM

True... but unfortunately, there's no way to archive something (in HD) from a DirecTV HD-DVR.

My cousin and a couple of her friends were in the audience of "Live With Kelly!" shortly before Christmas. I recorded it on WABC, KABC, and a (somewhat) local affiliate. The (somewhat) local affiliate does not air it in HD (which is a shame since it's 1080i versus WABC's and KABC's 720p), so I deleted it, but I still have the ABC feeds. Sadly, I know that if I ever get rid of those DVRs, or something happens to them, I'll lose those recordings.

From a logistics standpoint (thanks to the wonderful SWiM and DECA technologies), streaming works great, and I no longer prefer copying for MRV versus streaming. However, that doesn't change the fact that there are multiple ways in which copying can come in handy... and not just for swapping DVRs. One thing I've run into a few times is that in my house, I have my own DVRs, and a shared DVR. Sometimes I'll want to save something on the shared DVR to go back to later, but unfortunately, space needs to be made on it, and sacrifices must be made. With copying, I could transfer it to another DVR, and get it out of others' way.

That being said, while I'd like to have a way to offload content in the future, it doesn't appear to be coming anytime soon... and MRV works great 99.2% of the time. :D

~Alan

Guys, dvrs are not meant for archiving, period. Any of them. Hollywood would never ever go for that,so not even a TiVo is designed with that in mind.

And TiVo is starting to go away from moving content too as their newest device uses clients without hard drives.

#75 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

TiVo is for both time shifting, archiving and sharing when away from the location of the DVRs. thats what we are used to.

On the TiVo interface, lets say I am watching a program in the living room. When I stop it there and go to the bedroom, I am given the option of starting from the beginning or from the paused/stopped location in the living room. And duplicating the recordings is not bad because when we do a duplicate we remove it when done watching since it still resides on the original DVR.

I will quit with this now as we are both convinced that one method is better than the other.

It's good they offer to resume as well, how long do you have to wait, or is it almost instant, and it's moving it while it's playing back? And if its doing that, do they copy the whole show if you select resume and your in the middle of the show?

#76 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:14 PM

Guys, dvrs are not meant for archiving, period. Any of them. Hollywood would never ever go for that,so not even a TiVo is designed with that in mind.

Since you quoted me, you may not have realized that I was agreeing with you! ;)

I read your post, and added a few comments. The point was simply that at this time, it's a shame you cannot archive certain content with DirecTV like you can do with TiVo, computer tuners, etc.

~Alan

#77 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:17 PM

It's good they offer to resume as well, how long do you have to wait, or is it almost instant, and it's moving it while it's playing back? And if its doing that, do they copy the whole show if you select resume and your in the middle of the show?

Depends on the speed of your connection/network.
No playback until it's moved (to my knowledge).
Yes (re: copy the whole program).

~Alan

#78 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,813 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:29 PM

I started to post that our conversation regarding HR34/TiVo should probably be moved to the Advice needed HR34 versus DirectTV Tivo THR22, then it disappeared and ended up here. :rolleyes:

~Alan

#79 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:42 PM

Is Uverse launching a new closed captioning service :lol:

damn iPhone!

#80 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:38 PM

Say you watch a program on TiVo1 and decide to move to another room. When you bring up the list of recorded programs in that room, the bottom of the list has all the other connected DVRs by whatever you named them. You open that folder and you see all the programs recorded on the other DVR, you pick the program you were watching, tell the TiVo in the room in which you are to watch it here, it asks from the beginning or from the last viewed point. Let's say you tell it from the stopped point. It starts the transfer from that point and in a few seconds you can choose to watch it or select other programs to put in the queue for duplication. If you choose to watch it immediately I would guess the delay is about five seconds total. And the recording gets ahead of you very quickly so you can skip through junk. If you choose not to watch it at that point you can then put anything else on any other TiVo in the queue for transfer. If you choose to transfer from more than one machine it will begin to transfer more than one show.

With a hacked DirecTiVo there are ways to get the program from your DVR to the hard drive on your computer. With a Series 3 or later, TiVo has a desktop application that allows you to download any program to the computer hard drive and Window Media Player will play it on the computer. How handy is that to take a never to be seen again recording over to another persons home to view on a laptop. Because the Kids have crippled DVRs and we had Series 3 DVRs from TiVo, we many times recorded programs they wanted to keep and took them to their homes where they could archive them on thier computer.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...