Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 from DirecTV - Why Current Customers Treated So Poorly

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:20 PM

So how many single HR34 threads are we gonna have going even though we have a dedicated discussion thread? Im just sayin...

+1

There's been a dedicated discussion thread for months now. It's a sticky at the top of this forum. ;)

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=198305

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#82 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,759 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:39 PM

You open that folder and you see all the programs recorded on the other DVR, you pick the program you were watching, tell the TiVo in the room in which you are to watch it here, it asks from the beginning or from the last viewed point. Let's say you tell it from the stopped point. It starts the transfer from that point and in a few seconds you can choose to watch it or select other programs to put in the queue for duplication.

I stand corrected.

Aside from moving content from my S2 to S3, and archiving some program from my S3 to computer, I hadn't played with it too much.

~Alan

#83 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:44 PM

Really? What? for Who? Never been offered SQUAT in 11 years of service, NOTHING!

Call up and ask for stuff.

DirecTV has a rating on your account as to your eligibility for new equipment. It's rated in hearts (like 4 hearts, 5 hearts, etc.) if I remember correctly.

Like I said they don't advertise it, but they do have a rating as to how much free stuff you have earned.

If you have subscribed to a reasonably large package for years and not no new stuff on DirecTV's dime, then if you call up you can negotiate some new stuff and probably a free install for it too.

And then your hearts reset and they won't give you squat for a while. How long is a while? It depends.
room 1:
HR34-700 through Sony STR-DA5300ES amp to LG 55" LE8500 LCD flat panel via HDMI. Discrete OTA.

room 2:
On break. I thought I'd get something in time for baseball, but...

AU9 SWM dish. Channel Master 4228 for UHF + big yagi for VHF w/CM7777 combiner/amplifier.

Connected via wired GigE to Apple Time Capsule base station.

#84 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:41 AM

Call up and ask for stuff.

DirecTV has a rating on your account as to your eligibility for new equipment. It's rated in hearts (like 4 hearts, 5 hearts, etc.) if I remember correctly.

Like I said they don't advertise it, but they do have a rating as to how much free stuff you have earned.

If you have subscribed to a reasonably large package for years and not no new stuff on DirecTV's dime, then if you call up you can negotiate some new stuff and probably a free install for it too.

And then your hearts reset and they won't give you squat for a while. How long is a while? It depends.

I tired many times to get my HR20 replaced. Nothing. CSR roulette is NOT what I have time for. I did get the MVR set-up for free. But that's it.

Now with another price increase coming in February, I don't know how long I will stick around without a DVR upgrade.

#85 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,976 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:30 AM

I tired many times to get my HR20 replaced. Nothing. .

Tell them you need a 3D capable box. No guarantee of a 24 though as the 21-23's are also 3D capable.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#86 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,060 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:28 AM

I tired many times to get my HR20 replaced. Nothing. CSR roulette is NOT what I have time for. I did get the MVR set-up for free. But that's it.

Now with another price increase coming in February, I don't know how long I will stick around without a DVR upgrade.

Until the hr34 there is no actual upgrade for your unit in the system. And if you got mrv free install then you did get something for free.

#87 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,806 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:41 AM

You've been threatening to leave for a long time, why not just pull the plug and do it? There is no entitlement with DirecTV no matter how long you've been a customer.

No matter who you go to you're going to face price increases. You might as well accept that and just choose who you want to stick with. Your only other option would be a Roku, AppleTV or something like that so you could watch shows on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Streaming.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#88 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:44 AM

I had no problem getting two HR20s for free, installed. I had had my HR10-250 for a while, but it was long before the MPEG-2 shutoff, so there wasn't any of that "buyout" stuff going on.

The problem you're having is one I've seen too. I mentioned it in the same post you replied to I think. DirecTV has no way to upgrade you within a category. They just have SD receivers, SD PVRs, HD receivers, HD PVRs and now the HR34. Their system doesn't have a way for them to send out a tech to upgrade your PVR within the class because they can't guarantee what the tech will bring. It's really dumb.

But if you say you want to upgrade to an HR34, they should be able to manage that.
room 1:
HR34-700 through Sony STR-DA5300ES amp to LG 55" LE8500 LCD flat panel via HDMI. Discrete OTA.

room 2:
On break. I thought I'd get something in time for baseball, but...

AU9 SWM dish. Channel Master 4228 for UHF + big yagi for VHF w/CM7777 combiner/amplifier.

Connected via wired GigE to Apple Time Capsule base station.

#89 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:32 PM

Tell them you need a 3D capable box. No guarantee of a 24 though as the 21-23's are also 3D capable.

Not going to lie about 3D to get a new DVR.

#90 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:34 PM

But if you say you want to upgrade to an HR34, they should be able to manage that.

That's all I possibly want. Hell, I am NOT asking for a free one either. But some type of discount, loyalty bonus, etc.

#91 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:39 PM

You've been threatening to leave for a long time, why not just pull the plug and do it? There is no entitlement with DirecTV no matter how long you've been a customer.

No matter who you go to you're going to face price increases. You might as well accept that and just choose who you want to stick with. Your only other option would be a Roku, AppleTV or something like that so you could watch shows on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Streaming.

I tired. I had Uverse for the last 30 days. I liked it and it had pluses and minuses.
Right now I decided to stick around a little more with DIRECTV for a few reasons.
But D* makes things tough when you hold out for stuff, Like I waited for Nomad, not worth the price and won't run on a JB iOS device. Same with the iPad app. Still not way to get DIRECT2PC to run on a Mac via Boot Camp or a mac compatible app.

I borrowed a slingbox HD and its nice, but not ready to shell out the dollars, just to watch TV on my iMac.
yes, every company is going through price increases. But for what i am paying for DIRECTV, I don't think its going to be worth in the long run for what I get out of it. I am just playing the waiting game to see what AT&T does.

#92 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:17 PM

Is Miami area one of the initial rollout cities for the HR34? As far as I'm concerned, if you're not in one of the rollout cities, noone should be getting any HR34's from D*, but feel free to get them from SS or VE, etc...

#93 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:06 PM

Is Miami area one of the initial rollout cities for the HR34? As far as I'm concerned, if you're not in one of the rollout cities, noone should be getting any HR34's from D*, but feel free to get them from SS or VE, etc...

I thought the initial rollout was long-since over. The only distinction now is "new customer" = yes, "existing customer" = no.

#94 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,759 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:13 PM

I thought the initial rollout was long-since over. The only distinction now is "new customer" = yes, "existing customer" = no.

Correct... it is now national, but for new customers only.

~Alan

#95 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:52 AM

I talked to a CSR yesterday to get a new HD DVR and while going through the order he stated that he can't say which model I will receive. I told him I really don't care. I have a HR21 now and if I get another I'll be fine. I did ask about the 34 and he said they were limited but he'd put a note that if they had it I could get it. So I guess they're trickling out and the CSR are aware of them pretty well. I'd like to have the newest stuff out there but if I get a HR24 I'll be quite happy!

#96 OFFLINE   jzoomer

jzoomer

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:12 AM

The HMC needs a HMC Forum, not just a single thread.

HMC is just a marketing term.

If we were a toaster forum and someone made a toaster that did five slices of bread instead of the usual two, would we need a seperate forum to cover it?

#97 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:30 AM

Wow, the last page of this thread seems to be way off topic from the title / original post :D.

Yeah, new customers are treated better then old customers.

One obvious example: new customers get free HD for life, we old timers only get it free for another year :confused:.

Another obvious example: if you were a legacy customer, your package vs. new packages... there was a much wider savings the longer you you were a customer. Over the last few years, DirecTV has closed the price gap to a point where us old timers save pretty much nothing.

#98 OFFLINE   jzoomer

jzoomer

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

As a consumer, I want to get the most value for my buck. They do not make it easy for existing customers.

For instance, I have two HR20s and a legacy dish/distribution system (non-SWM). I have not upgraded any equipment in 4 years - (no commitment). For me to get a HR-34, I would have to buy the dish, receiver, and then do the install - about $500. Then I call to activate and (from what I read) they may not activate it or may require a two year commitment (for what I already paid for??). After paying $500, it is hard for me to lie to customer retention that I am going to bolt unless I get something free.

Contrast this to a new customer who will pay practically nothing to get where I want to be.

#99 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:06 PM

As a consumer, I want to get the most value for my buck. They do not make it easy for existing customers.

For instance, I have two HR20s and a legacy dish/distribution system (non-SWM). I have not upgraded any equipment in 4 years - (no commitment). For me to get a HR-34, I would have to buy the dish, receiver, and then do the install - about $500. Then I call to activate and (from what I read) they may not activate it or may require a two year commitment (for what I already paid for??). After paying $500, it is hard for me to lie to customer retention that I am going to bolt unless I get something free.

Contrast this to a new customer who will pay practically nothing to get where I want to be.

:confused: I've never had to pay for a dish or install or upgrade. They always do those for free. Heck, the last time I had a service call, the guy decided he needed to re-wire my entire house, install a new dish and replace the mount. Did it all for free. When I set up my service call (for a dish re-aim), the CSR said "ok, that is going to be $75", then I said "$75 to hop on a ladder for 2 minutes and re-aim a dish?" and he waived the charge. Then again, I almost never call them and bug them about anything. I'm not saying you do haha, I'm just saying I take care of my own stuff except for climbing up a 2 story house to mess with the dish :). If a customer is constantly calling and wanting free stuff and complaining, etc. thats actually going to go on their "permanent record".

EDIT: I did have to buy my HR20 on my own because they were on the HR22's or something like that and I specifically wanted the built in OTA.

#100 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,865 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:30 PM

HMC is just a marketing term.

If we were a toaster forum and someone made a toaster that did five slices of bread instead of the usual two, would we need a separate forum to cover it?

RVU then. How about PIP?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

spam firewall