Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 from DirecTV - Why Current Customers Treated So Poorly

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Registered
  • 37,060 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

The HMC needs a HMC Forum, not just a single thread.

If the staff decides that's appropriate, we will open one up. At this time we are putting all HD devices running the DIRECTV middleware in one forum.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   jzoomer

jzoomer

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:59 PM

RVU then. How about PIP?

Last time I checked, a TV with PIP feature was still a TV. RVU server capability is another feature as well for the HR* series.

I could see having a forum related to RVU client and server technology. I would love to cut my electrical bill by eliminating boxes in my system. Reading about RVU server software being developed for Ubuntu or Windows boxes to serve ripped video would be great. Client development for tablets and PC would be interesting as well.

Might be a better fit for an AVS forum.

Edited by jzoomer, 30 December 2011 - 03:57 PM.

#103 OFFLINE   jzoomer

jzoomer

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:21 PM

:confused: I've never had to pay for a dish or install or upgrade. They always do those for free. Heck, the last time I had a service call, the guy decided he needed to re-wire my entire house, install a new dish and replace the mount. Did it all for free. When I set up my service call (for a dish re-aim), the CSR said "ok, that is going to be $75", then I said "$75 to hop on a ladder for 2 minutes and re-aim a dish?" and he waived the charge. Then again, I almost never call them and bug them about anything. I'm not saying you do haha, I'm just saying I take care of my own stuff except for climbing up a 2 story house to mess with the dish :). If a customer is constantly calling and wanting free stuff and complaining, etc. thats actually going to go on their "permanent record".

EDIT: I did have to buy my HR20 on my own because they were on the HR22's or something like that and I specifically wanted the built in OTA.

Have you upgraded to a HR34 with the same price as a newbie? That is the whine of this thread.

It has been about four years since I called a CSR. I wired my house myself because most installers only like running cables up the external wall rather than going through an attic.

Edited by jzoomer, 30 December 2011 - 07:43 PM.

#104 OFFLINE   rmcii

rmcii

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:46 PM

As a consumer, I want to get the most value for my buck. They do not make it easy for existing customers.

For instance, I have two HR20s and a legacy dish/distribution system (non-SWM). I have not upgraded any equipment in 4 years - (no commitment). For me to get a HR-34, I would have to buy the dish, receiver, and then do the install - about $500. Then I call to activate and (from what I read) they may not activate it or may require a two year commitment (for what I already paid for??). After paying $500, it is hard for me to lie to customer retention that I am going to bolt unless I get something free.

Contrast this to a new customer who will pay practically nothing to get where I want to be.

I agree.

I have been having "common" issues with the HR21 (slow response to remote, slow pulling up shows off other DVR) and have seen some strange things on occasion -- shows fail playback over MRV but play fine locally, shows play for a few seconds and then freeze over MRV, but play fine locally, etc.

Every time I've had these issues, I've been polite with DTV CSRs who ultimately say "oh, just restart it" -- which has rarely fixed an actual issue. A few times we scheduled a technician to come out -- mostly they said they'd have to do a full reset (well of course that'll fix the show failing to playback because you're going to erase them all ala factory reset!).

Yesterday we got a prompt for the new HDGUI, and after the box restarted, all our recordings were gone. CSR was unable to help, and escalation was mostly futile. We wanted a guarantee that we'd be updated to HR24 or better (2 friends were lucky to get HR24 last year and are THRILLED with them). CSR said they are unable to guarantee any model -- so we cancelled on the spot.

There were a few things keeping me tied to DTV, the #1 item was the fact that we constantly have hundreds of hours of recordings waiting for us ... so switching to the competition would be painful. But now that 1/2 of the recordings are gone (mostly the ones my wife cared about: Terra Nova, 90210, Chuck, Pan Am), and its winter break, switching is an easier ordeal.

It is strange to me that after almost 7 years of being a loyal DTV customer, they will lose a customer simply by failing to guarantee I get both DVRs upgraded to a decent model (no, HR21 is not decent, and could easily still be on the truck they send).

Finally, I understand this is a serious case of #firstworldproblems, but you know what, I'm paying DTV to record and watch TV. If their hardware (DVRs are leased...) blasts away my recordings (and occasionally fails playback, and occasionally fails to record due to conflicts my old TIVO knew how to handle), then why am I paying big bucks to DTV.... there's plenty of other services that would appreciate my month payment.

#105 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,080 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:37 PM

You're the first person I've heard of that lost recordings due to the new GUI. If you haven't done a reset yet I would. Good luck with your new provider.

#106 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

You're the first person I've heard of that lost recordings due to the new GUI. If you haven't done a reset yet I would. Good luck with your new provider.

Since he already cancelled his account, my guess is that he is out of here.

#107 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:43 PM

I have to say I have 2 HR24s, installed at exactly the same time, and I know everyone here with problems always wants them so badly... But while one of them works great, the other has always been horribly meh. They are no panacea.

#108 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,320 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:48 PM

RVU then. How about PIP?

For pip id say... So them you'd split up the dvrs and non dvrs since the non dvrs don't have smart search?

For rvu I'd say, we have the connected forum, which is also where all deca talk is, and since rvu is in essence along the same lines as deca. Rvu is the technology of getting the programing to multiple places just like mrv.

#109 OFFLINE   jzoomer

jzoomer

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

First off a HR34 is not classified as a HD DVR.

Can you tell me what HR stands for in the HR20, HR21, HR24, and HR34 model numbers? Can you tell me why H20 is different from an HR20?

#110 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,656 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:02 PM

CSR was unable to help, and escalation was mostly futile. We wanted a guarantee that we'd be updated to HR24 or better (2 friends were lucky to get HR24 last year and are THRILLED with them). CSR said they are unable to guarantee any model -- so we cancelled on the spot.

Another possible solution: find out from DirecTV that if you buy (lease) the HR24's from a third-party vendor, will they credit you back the purchase price? A couple of other people have reported that they were able to do this. It is the only way you can guarantee you'll get the STB you want. (if they say 'yes', ensure you get the CSR's ID #).

#111 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,359 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:03 PM

Can you tell me what HR stands for in the HR20, HR21, HR24, and HR34 model numbers? Can you tell me why H20 is different from an HR20?

H = High Definition
R = Recorder

An HR20 is a DVR, an H20 is just a receiver with no recording capabilities.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#112 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,656 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:06 PM

HR models are DVRs. HXX models are only receivers; not DVR. The HR34 is a HD DVR with five tuners (and some other unique features), but because it is so different, is classified as a Home Media Center (HMC). If you order a HD DVR from DirecTV, you could get anything from a HR20, HR21, HR22, HR23 or HR24.

#113 OFFLINE   jzoomer

jzoomer

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

Well I knew what it stood for but I was questioning if Shades228 knew!

#114 OFFLINE   jzoomer

jzoomer

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:29 PM

... because it is so different, is classified as a Home Media Center (HMC).

I commend Directv on an excellent marketing campaign.

If I could convince people that my toaster with 5 slice capability was really a breakfast solution center, I could charge a premium price for it as well.

#115 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,091 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

I commend Directv on an excellent marketing campaign.

If I could convince people that my toaster with 5 slice capability was really a breakfast solution center, I could charge a premium price for it as well.

This is the funniest post I have read all month. Thanks :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#116 OFFLINE   chem

chem

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

edit

Edited by chem, 04 January 2012 - 02:49 PM.

#117 OFFLINE   chem

chem

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

For Xmas i got my fiance a new TV (more like a gift for me). So i had her add me to her Directv account to finally upgrade her old equipment to new HD service.

Currently she is not under any contract obligations, so i figure they should be able to match what new customers get, WRONG!!

1. New Customers get there brand new receivers (PiP, 5 tuners etc), for 99 dollars. This equipment because of limited supply can't be offered to existing customers at all until Feb 8th (even the manager could not add it). They could probably match or get close to new customer incentives as far as pricing, but not hardware.

So what is the solution, I canceled service and get to reactivate service in order to get the new equipment and new pricing(cheaper). Of course this also means from now until the service gets disconnected on the 30th, i will be shopping around and might just go to cable and give directv a big FU.

I just don't see how a business thinks its best to risk losing a customer than to offer the same deal new customers get since you are agreeing to a new 2yr commitment.

#118 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:16 PM

If you have cable available you have real choices if you don't need some of the unique to DirecTV programming, including third party DVRs from the likes of TiVo.

I guess DTV figures they have already bled you mostly dry. So they need a new turnip.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#119 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Registered
  • 37,060 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:16 PM

And yet, DIRECTV's business model does seem to lead to long-term profitability.

#120 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,320 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

For Xmas i got my fiance a new TV (more like a gift for me). So i had her add me to her Directv account to finally upgrade her old equipment to new HD service.

Currently she is not under any contract obligations, so i figure they should be able to match what new customers get, WRONG!!

1. New Customers get there brand new receivers (PiP, 5 tuners etc), for 99 dollars. This equipment because of limited supply can't be offered to existing customers at all until Feb 8th (even the manager could not add it). They could probably match or get close to new customer incentives as far as pricing, but not hardware.

So what is the solution, I canceled service and get to reactivate service in order to get the new equipment and new pricing(cheaper). Of course this also means from now until the service gets disconnected on the 30th, i will be shopping around and might just go to cable and give directv a big FU.

I just don't see how a business thinks its best to risk losing a customer than to offer the same deal new customers get since you are agreeing to a new 2yr commitment.

Or just wait until February when they're available like everybody else. Most companies roll things out slowly and they choose the small subset of people to offer something to, in this case new customers is the smallest subset of people they can offer it to at the start. makes perfect sense.

#121 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

I will give you that. Having worked for many different companies with differing business philosophys, the ones that worked to maximize profits were best to work for and best in the market they served.

Don't know if DTV is maximizing of just happy to float along on a decent margin that keeps them going.

I find that publicly held companies are more than happy to float along on just enough to get by. Privately held companies are more likely to want to maximize profits.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#122 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,656 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

I find that publicly held companies are more than happy to float along on just enough to get by. Privately held companies are more likely to want to maximize profits.

I've worked for both. Both wanted to maximize their profits. Only difference was the leadership; the publicly held guy seemed to be under more pressure from shareholders than the privately held company where the majority of the owners were all family. Bottom line: in the companies I worked for, the publicly held companies were more profitable.

#123 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Unaffiliated with the CG Youth Auxiliary

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

Or just wait until February when they're available like everybody else. Most companies roll things out slowly and they choose the small subset of people to offer something to, in this case new customers is the smallest subset of people they can offer it to at the start. makes perfect sense.

During this initial "New Customers only" period, installers nationwide are also getting training and hands on experience with the new equipment.

#124 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,227 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

It does without a doubt.

But why they pursue policies that they have to know will tick off good customers is the mystery. And it is done for no good reason that I can understand.

Most companies roll things out slowly and they choose the small subset of people to offer something to, in this case new customers is the smallest subset of people they can offer it to at the start. makes perfect sense.

I don't if that is the smallest subset. After all, we here have been reminded many times that we are just a small, but dedicated group. I am sure we are a smaller subset than the new customers who have had an HR34 installed. :)

During this initial "New Customers only" period, installers nationwide are also getting training and hands on experience with the new equipment.

So the theory is that you use new customers as guinea pigs? Do you really want an installer learning how to do something for a customer that has just signed up for service? That could either be great, or start the relationship out on a poor note. Instead, test it out on customers who have shown loyalty to you.

Edited by Herdfan, 05 January 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#125 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Registered
  • 37,060 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

And after all, the HR34 is in a soft rollout period. They are not really promoting it at all; in fact if you don't visit this site you might not know it exists.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...