Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 from DirecTV - Why Current Customers Treated So Poorly

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

No I haven't gotten any new equipment from them in over 2 years.

3D swaps have nothing to do with anything other than having a specific error and calling DIRECTV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

I don't know what you're talking about by "3D swaps."

They haven't swapped anything for me.

#163 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

I don't know what you're talking about by "3D swaps."

They haven't swapped anything for me.

If you have a HR20 or H20 and connect it to a 3D TV and tune to a 3D channel you'll get a popup error message with a code and phone number to call. That is supposed to tell the CSR to swap out that STB for a HR21 or H21 or greater that does support 3D for no charge.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#164 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:26 PM

Right, well I haven't requested that yet, partly because I wanted to see what was going to happen with the HR34.

#165 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

Right, well I haven't requested that yet, partly because I wanted to see what was going to happen with the HR34.

If you want something swapped due to a functionality issue they'll do it like for like. Anything else you're into your own pocket.

#166 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

Talking to retention is not a "bluff". They are called "customer retention". I read that as, "What can we do to keep you as a happy customer so you remain with us?" Not, "Hi, I'm threatening to cancel, make me stay." I have dealt with retention in the past; I have never threatened to cancel.

Of course, the HR34 is a different ball of wax for me, as many of you know.

#167 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

You can get a deal from retention without even mentioning moving to another provider, other than to the computer. I got Sunday Ticket free by just asking them what kind of deal I qualified for.

#168 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:02 AM

[quote name='lparsons21']Like some here, I love the idea of the HR34 and what it brings to the table. But that is where it stops for me. I'm not going to pay the $399 for it, I might be convinced to pay $99 though.

But then, I'm not what many here refer to as a 'loyal customer' in the sense they use it. I am loyal to companies that provide me the goods and services I want at a competitive price. If that means jumping ship now and then, then so be it. It's my money and I want to use it in the way that is most beneficial to me. D* and all the rest of the providers have an office full of bean counters to help them extract as much money from me as they can, it isn't my job to help them in that endeavor.

And switching just isn't that big a deal for me as I'm retired and everyday is a Saturday!! :)[/QUOTE

+1 I'm with you brother. Your post could have been written by me. My sentiments EXACTLY. $399 for a machine I won't even own? I think not. My mama didn't raise a fool.
I pick things up and I put them down

#169 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:15 AM

If you have a HR20 or H20 and connect it to a 3D TV and tune to a 3D channel you'll get a popup error message with a code and phone number to call. That is supposed to tell the CSR to swap out that STB for a HR21 or H21 or greater that does support 3D for no charge.

I've been thinking about doing that, I have 2 HR24s, 1 HR21 and 2 HR20s. I can record 3D on the HR20s and watch the programming on one of the newer units using Whole Home so I'm not too anxious to give up units that are working and maybe getting replacements that have problems.

#170 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

Talking to retention is not a "bluff". They are called "customer retention". I read that as, "What can we do to keep you as a happy customer so you remain with us?" Not, "Hi, I'm threatening to cancel, make me stay." I have dealt with retention in the past; I have never threatened to cancel.

Don't you have to "bluff" in order to get the retention in the first place?!

~Alan

Edited by Alan Gordon, 10 January 2012 - 10:55 AM.

#171 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,284 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:00 AM

Don't you have to "bluff" in order to get the retention in the first place?!

~Alan

Sometimes, not always. Usually saying 'cancel' at the voice prompt gets you there. Or like last time for me, I wanted to drop from Premier. First I got a normal CSR, then he said I need to transfer you to the place that handles that. That was retention.

I never said cancel at the prompts, just change programming.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#172 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

Sometimes, not always. Usually saying 'cancel' at the voice prompt gets you there. Or like last time for me, I wanted to drop from Premier. First I got a normal CSR, then he said I need to transfer you to the place that handles that. That was retention.

I never said cancel at the prompts, just change programming.

Yeah... well, saying "cancel" at the prompt is bluffing... regardless of whether or not you talk to a person or the computer, IMO.

~Alan

#173 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

Yeah... well, saying "cancel" at the prompt is bluffing... regardless of whether or not you talk to a person or the computer, IMO.

~Alan

"Cancel" is not bluffing if you really intend to cancel as I did.

I was an original subscriber to DirecTV and paid over $700 -- and that was with a Hughes retiree discount -- for an SD receiver many moons ago. At least I owned the unit. I eventually switched to cable, then back to DirecTV, and finally to FiOS in October. That's three switches in about 20 years.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#174 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

Whenever I called to get to retention I've always started the conversation saying I have no plans to cancel but I know you are the folks that get things done. Once they know that I've had no problems in getting assistance in getting them to fix whatever the problem/issue is.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#175 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

"Cancel" is not bluffing if you really intend to cancel as I did.

I guess I should have clarified. I was referring to people who do not intend to cancel.

~Alan

#176 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,284 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

~Alan

Yeah you could look at it that way I suppose. But in reality, they set up their phone system and used 'cancel' as a synonym for 'retention'! :)

I've not used it that way, when I want to cancel I'm not ever bluffing. I'm calling to cancel.

But the reality of it is that you shouldn't even have to do that. The CSR's should be able to more than they can now. But that is D*'s decision to do it the way they do. I sure didn't have any input into how they want to handle things when the customer is irritated. Did you?

Lloyd

#177 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

Yeah you could look at it that way I suppose. But in reality, they set up their phone system and used 'cancel' as a synonym for 'retention'! :)

I've not used it that way, when I want to cancel I'm not ever bluffing. I'm calling to cancel.

But the reality of it is that you shouldn't even have to do that. The CSR's should be able to more than they can now. But that is D*'s decision to do it the way they do. I sure didn't have any input into how they want to handle things when the customer is irritated. Did you?

I guess it all comes down to how one looks at things, and does things.

To me, the whole point of "customer retention" is to keep customers. Unless you're planning on ACTUALLY cancelling, you're just a subscriber looking for a deal...

~Alan

#178 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,284 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

You say that as if it is a bad thing. :)

It is my money and I want the most I can get for it. If that means using their own system to my benefit, well good for me. I didn't make the rules, just have to figure out how to make them benefit me the most.

You are free to just throw money at them though. I wouldn't care, and D* would love it! :)

Lloyd

#179 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

You say that as if it is a bad thing. :)

It is my money and I want the most I can get for it. If that means using their own system to my benefit, well good for me. I didn't make the rules, just have to figure out how to make them benefit me the most.

You are free to just throw money at them though. I wouldn't care, and D* would love it! :)

I won't judge someone for getting the best deal they can get on something. I'm certainly going to attempt to get an HR34 for the least amount of money possible.

I just don't agree with those who game the system by pretending they're going to leave if they don't have any intention of following through. :)

~Alan

#180 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,284 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

For all my blathering, I seldom call to do anything. If D* would allow for cancelling all packages and premiums online, I doubt I would call them at all.

In my time with Dish, I only called/chatted (chat most often) to get some deal that I read about. All other interactions were me and my handy browser.

With D*, you have to call to cancel the premiums or downgrade a package. I find that irritating as hell, so when I call to do that, I also look for a deal. If I could cancel/change without the call, I wouldn't do that. I figure if they are going to make me call and sit on hold for a bit, I want to be paid for my time!! :)

Lloyd

Protected By... spam firewall...And...