Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Add a bedroom receiver without RG6 cable run

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ncsercs

ncsercs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:24 AM

What I want to do is put a TV in the guest bedroom and (if possible) not install another receiver (I will if I have to).

What is the simplest way to do this without an RG6 run (not an option)?

I have an extra Panasonic BL-PA100A module.

Thanks!

DIRECTV NETWORK

LIVING ROOM
SL3-SWM -----> RG6 -----> PI-21 -----> SWS-8 splitter -----> HR24, HR24 -----> HDTV

COMPUTER NETWORK

MASTER BEDROOM
Motorola SB6120 Modem -----> CAT5e -----> Linksys WRT54GL -----> CAT5e -----> Panasonic BL-PA100A HD-PLC

LIVING ROOM
Panasonic BL-PA100A HD-PLC -----> D-Link DES-1108 Switch -----> HR24, HR24, Sony PS3, D-Link DNS-323
Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:33 AM

You're going to need to run coax no matter what so you might as well get a receiver.

Well I guess you could get an HMDI splitter, a box that converts HDMI to ethernet and then use your adapter, which probably won't have enough speed, and then another box to convert the ethernet back to HDMI. After all of that the TV in that room would only be able to watch what the receiver had on and unless the receiver is close you would need to get an RF system for the remote.

All of that would probably cost more than it's worth and not be that good after the final product. So I'll stick to my first sentence.

#3 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 07:41 AM

When I had a similar situation, I discovered that there are now some relatively inexpensive HD capable wireless video transmitters that actually work quite well.

The one that I tried was the MyWirelessTV transmitter made by a company called Actiontec.
http://www.bestbuy.c...8&skuId=3179233

I paid about $200 for mine. Performance has been excellent in most situations where I've tried it. Sending the signal up from the first floor to the second floor and across the width of the house, I get 7 or 8 or 10 bars on the unit's signal strength meter, and the image quality is, to me, as good as what I get with a direct connection between the DIRECTV box and the TV. With a longer run through more walls, I was down to 2 bars on the signal level meter, but the quality of the picture remained unchanged.

This solution does have some limitations. Obviously, this solution limits viewing on the remote TV to what is being watched on the TV with the DIRECTV box. I also realize that the $200 cost would be about the same as the lease fee for an additional DIRECTV receiver for about 3 years, but, for me, a one-time $200 expense is psychologically easier for me to take than is an extra $5 per month on my DIRECTV bill. I also discovered that, contrary to what the manufacturer claims, the product does not work with a 3D signal.

Even with these limitations that might not make the product suitable for all situations, for me, it is a relatively inexpensive solution that meets my needs without requiring an additional cable run.

#4 OFFLINE   Altcool

Altcool

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:12 AM

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2
Product ID 8158
AU9 SWM16 HR21 HR23 HR24 HR24 H20 H24 H24 R22 D12 AM21
Wish List: HR44, SWM32

Protected By... spam firewall...And...