Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need Advice on Setting up Internet to HDTV

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vanhoogy

vanhoogy

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:16 AM

We just got our first HDTV and got an HD DVR from DirecTV. I want to set up the internet and thought I would ask "the experts" for the best advice on the how? Should we go with our XBox? Should we directly plug the TV into the Ethernet (via Powerlines)? Who has had great success in maximizing their Internet experience through their HDTV? Thanks in advance for all your advice! Scott VH :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:25 AM

First, if you only have ONE DirecTv box in your house, you can just plug it into your network using ethernet just like any other device, or use a Wireless Connection Kit from DirecTv.

If, however, you have MORE than one DirecTv box, and are wanting them all connected, you would be better off to go with Wireless Connection Kit, and Whole Home. Using the ethernet port on a HR24, or H24 box will disable its whole home sharing via coax, which is the standard.

Let us know in more detail what kind of setup you have, how many DirecTv boxes, etc.

And welcome to DBSTalk!

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,735 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:27 AM

We just got our first HDTV and got an HD DVR from DirecTV. I want to set up the internet and thought I would ask "the experts" for the best advice on the how? Should we go with our XBox? Should we directly plug the TV into the Ethernet (via Powerlines)? Who has had great success in maximizing their Internet experience through their HDTV? Thanks in advance for all your advice! Scott VH :D

I'd be inclined to start by plugging my ethernet cable into the receiver box.... voila! VOD is at your fingertips.
What DVR have you, and how connected to what TV?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:21 AM

I read this as that they want to connect the TV to the web to use the built-in smart TV functions irrespective of anything that might be part of the Direct TV box.

There should be an RJ45 LAN/Internet connector on the TV that can be connected directly to a network cable from your router or network switch.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#5 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:18 AM

If you have wifi at home the TV may support a USB wifi adapter as well. The manual for the TV should describe what options are available to you.

#6 OFFLINE   vanhoogy

vanhoogy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:47 AM

Thanks so much everyone....great advice!

#7 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,515 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:52 PM

This is kind of a loaded question as each of the devices mentioned have their sweet spots.

You've been given great guidance! I would add that you ensure a connection to the TV itself as the manufacturers are using such for firmware updates.

You mentioned power line and that's probably OK but for your uses a good wireless connection likely can suffice. If a number of your devices require an add on wireless adapter you might consider the DirectTV Wireless CCK and put its "LAN" port out to feed into a small switch and then connect up your TV/Xbox/Player to that switch. The cost of the CCK is nominal off the website and small 5 port switches are cheap. As are short Cat5e cables)

There are a whole lot of ways to go about it and many work fine only sometimes. It's why DirectTV chose to run their Whole Home service through an infrastructure they maintain...

Enjoy your new toys!

Don "HDTV: Heavy Duty Technical Vacuum" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

spam firewall