Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is there a way to remove those ridiculous bottom banners on the channels?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kcolg30

kcolg30

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:56 AM

I am talking about on some of the PAY channels when you switch to them you get the normal title bar at the top. But some have the stupid 'Please go to the www interwebs for more interweb movies' banner. Is there a way to turn off the bottom banner?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,258 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:44 AM

No way that I know of. The "popup" appears for a couple of seconds while the channel is tuned. A list of the currently affected channels (plus their HD equivalent, if not listed) is below:

150 SPEED
"For more racing, go to SPEED2.com, an online video network with LIVE and on demand racing events."

300 HBO-E, 301 HBO2E, 302 HBOSG, 303 HBO-W, 304 HBO2W, 305 HBOFM, 307 HBOCY, 309 HBOLT
"Watch every episode of your favorite HBO shows at dishonline.com"

310 MAX-E, 311 MAX-W, 312 MOMAX, 313 ACMAX, 314 5-MAX
"Watch more great movies from Cinemax at dishonline.com"

350 STARZ, 351 STRZW, 352 SEDGE, 353 SCINE, 354 STZC, 355 SBLCK, 356 SK&FM
"Watch more great movies from Starz at dishonline.com"

361 MAVTV, 368 CI, 371 CTRC, 373 LOGO, 394 WFISH, 9421 VLCTY, 9427 UNIHD, 9469 PLDIA
"Watch more of your favorite content at dishonline.com"

378 INDIE, 379 RETRO, 385 MGM, 386 SMC, 389 SUND, 9418 PIXL, 9423 HDNMV
"Watch thousands of hit movies for free at dishonline.com"

9533 EPIX1, 9534 EPIX2
"Watch over 3,000 movies from Epix at dishonline.com"

#3 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:02 AM

So, they're Dish spam and not coming from the content provider?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#4 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,868 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:44 AM

I don't see the issue... They only stay for a few seconds, and are not part of the video if you DVR something... In the scheme of things I prefer these to those permanent ads the channels cover up their programming with.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:46 AM

Huh?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:26 PM

They are DISH Network infused. It may be according to contract with the content providers or, more likely, it may be their own doodoing. They certainly don't now and I think it is unlikely that they would allow something like that to be disabled in the future.

If you surf channels with closed captioning turned on, it may be an issue. Otherwise, I would imagine that it will blow over like when you learn to stop looking at pop-ups and ads on web pages.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,258 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

They are obviously receiver based messages as they appear before the channels are tuned.

If you surf channels with closed captioning turned on, it may be an issue.

For the most part they occupy the black space seen when changing channels. On a non-DVR the channel changes are quicker but regardless of carrier or equipment it still takes time to take the screen black, tune to a new satellite and transponder, lock on to the signal, decode the first available full frame, start buffering (DVRs) and display the image. DISH is using mostly black space for the popup.

Otherwise, I would imagine that it will blow over like when you learn to stop looking at pop-ups and ads on web pages.

Even easier as the messages go away on their own quickly. No finding the right X on the screen needed. No new windows that remain long after you have finished loading the page. The DISH channel popups are noticeable, but get out of the way on their own.

BTW: If one presses cancel after changing the channel the banner and popup disappears.

#8 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:28 PM

Just because it's not as bad as everyone else's spam doesn't make it good.

I'm PAYING for the service - in my case over $100/month. I do NOT need you telling me WITH EVERY CHANNEL CHANGE that I can go to your online site. It would be even WORSE if my ISP was one of those who meters usage. Think about THAT message - "Hi! Thanks for paying for us - now go over and watch us AND pay more to your ISP when you hit your data cap!"

#9 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:41 PM

If you sign up for a service there are always issues... they all have something somebody doesn't like.
I believe you can hit the "cancel" button on the remote and the offending information goes away. Or, you can move on.....in my remote area Comcast cable is an alternative to Satellite TV, which makes Dish look perfect.......moral of the story? it can always be worse and nothing is ever going to be the way you exactly want it....sorry.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,258 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:05 PM

There are bigger fish to fry. More games in HD, 24x7 HD RSNs, the return of ABC/Disney's HD channels, more HD locals, rate increases. All things that are bigger issues than a brief display of a banner.

#11 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

I wish I could get the scrolling banners and animated bugs off the screen during programs.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#12 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

it's truly amazing what some people will find to whine and complain about! :nono2:

#13 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:03 AM

:beatdeadhorse: over and over again

#14 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:10 AM

I want a million dollars.
-GA

#15 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:29 PM

Bottom banner stays on same as the top banner. Goes away same as the top banner. Hitting "cancel" makes it go away even quicker just as the top banner. This is a big deal? If paying for service means no ads, I would assume one would not be watching anything much more than Movie channels then.

#16 OFFLINE   kcolg30

kcolg30

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:52 PM

Bottom banner stays on same as the top banner. Goes away same as the top banner. Hitting "cancel" makes it go away even quicker just as the top banner. This is a big deal? If paying for service means no ads, I would assume one would not be watching anything much more than Movie channels then.

Correct

#17 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:21 PM

To prevent those banners from popping up: Hit Menu, 6, 1, 6 and select Disable and click Done.

To get rid of the ads in the program guide (and get an extra line of EPG): Menu, 8, 1 and under Banner, select Off.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#18 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:55 PM

To prevent those banners from popping up: Hit Menu, 6, 1, 6 and select Disable and click Done.

[/B].

Nope, that is not for what is being discussed. These can not be disabled.

#19 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:57 AM

That is precisely why I mostly watch movie channels, hate commercials, banners and bugs. Some of them you can't get away from but not watching a lot of the network/commercial stuff minimizes it.

#20 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:59 AM

That is precisely why I mostly watch movie channels, hate commercials, banners and bugs. Some of them you can't get away from but not watching a lot of the network/commercial stuff minimizes it.

And watching Netflix is blissfully free of this crap!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...