Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Internet Connectivity Question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:35 PM

I have 1 HR34 and 2 HR24's all obviously connected by coax to a SWiM16. All are easily within direct reach of my router either through a pair of GigE switches or a direct run from the router to the HR.

Can I eliminate the existing BB Deca & it's PI from this system by just running a coax directly to the HR34 or HR24's through a switch or directly from the router? Will the ethernet connection in the HR's bridge to the internal DECA's?

Trying to clean up some wiring and get rid of unnecessary pieces. The only external DECA I have in the system now is the BB Deca.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:06 PM

I don't believe you can bridge using the DVR.
However, depending where your BB DECA is located, why not just move it else where?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,852 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:58 PM

the HR34 may or may not work well to bridge the other receivers from its ethernet port.
Plugging in ethernet to the HR24s will "kill" their DECAs, so while you may want to "clean things up", more likely than not, you'll hose part of what you have.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,030 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:58 PM

I have 1 HR34 and 2 HR24's all obviously connected by coax to a SWiM16. All are easily within direct reach of my router either through a pair of GigE switches or a direct run from the router to the HR.

Can I eliminate the existing BB Deca & it's PI from this system by just running a coax directly to the HR34 or HR24's through a switch or directly from the router? Will the Ethernet connection in the HR's bridge to the internal DECA's?

Trying to clean up some wiring and get rid of unnecessary pieces. The only external DECA I have in the system now is the BB Deca.

Supposed to work on the HR34-700. It's an either or on the HR24s.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#5 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,852 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

Supposed to work on the HR34-700.

I'm not even sure it makes "supposed to" status.
For some it has worked, while for others it hasn't so well, and "I think" it isn't the supported method.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:07 PM

What wrong with just using the DECA? Seems simple enough of a solution and if the only external DECA piece is the BBDECA then that seems better than a switch and runs of cat5. Just me thinking, why fix what's not broke. :)

#7 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,030 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:12 PM

I don't see any benefit of bridging via the HR34 except that it gets rid of one DECA and its PI. I figure there must be a trade off. But I don't know what it is.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#8 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,852 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:19 PM

I don't see any benefit of bridging via the HR34 except that it gets rid of one DECA and its PI. I figure there must be a trade off. But I don't know what it is.

"Fundamentally" it wasn't planned to be used.
While the 24s disable their DECA when ethernet is used, because of the RVU aspect of the HR34, it can't be disabled. This doesn't mean though that the ethernet "bridges well" to the DECA.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:23 PM

What wrong with just using the DECA? Seems simple enough of a solution and if the only external DECA piece is the BBDECA then that seems better than a switch and runs of cat5. Just me thinking, why fix what's not broke. :)

Nothing's wrong with using the Deca, just wanted to have as few "pieces" as I can. Switch and router are both about 2 feet from the HR34 so that's not a problem either. I guess I'll just try it for the hal-i-but. I rarely use the internet connectivity anyway.

Basically I was "just wondering" and my q's have been answered. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...