Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole home got installed and 2.4GHz wireless jammed

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   xhortation

xhortation

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:57 PM

Guys I really need help,

I got whole home dvr installed about two weeks ago and about the same time my routers 2.4GHz wireless band range was greatly reduced the 5GHz band works fine but not all my wireless devices can get the 5GHz band. At first I thought my router was bad so I installed a new one (2.4GHz only), and the same problem happened.

I have tried disconnecting and powering off the whole home device that that is connected to my router at the same time I unplugged all wires from my HD DVR that are also right next to the modem and router. I have also tried different channels on the 2.4GHz band and no luck.

My modem and router are in a room about 10 feet away from the dish and other D*parts installed.

Thanks,
Bubby B

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:12 PM

A good place to start is to give us an idea of all your Directv equipment.
What boxes do you have?
How did they connect the whole home service to your router?
Did they wire it? Did they bring in a wireless connection kit?

This may seem a bit cumbersome to you but a list of your Directv system and how everything is wired/wireless could help people troubleshoot. Even better is a drawing of the connections if you are able to do that.

#3 OFFLINE   xhortation

xhortation

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:46 PM

I have a hr21-700, hr22-100, hr24-100, and h25-100. The hr21 and 22 have deca boxes connected to them. I have a deca broadband adapter hooked up to my router. I also have a power inserter by my hr24. The power inserter is where the wireless equipment that have the most problems. I did try disconnecting it but I still had problems.

Thanks!

#4 OFFLINE   xhortation

xhortation

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

Dish type is slimline-5s swm

#5 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,913 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:09 PM

I have a hr21-700, hr22-100, hr24-100, and h25-100. The hr21 and 22 have deca boxes connected to them. I have a deca broadband adapter hooked up to my router. I also have a power inserter by my hr24. The power inserter is where the wireless equipment that have the most problems. I did try disconnecting it but I still had problems.

Thanks!

That PI is what powers the Dish. To move it, your would also need to move the coax it would be connected to the red jack on the splitter. That jack, is the power feed connection.

I would suggest you tag which coax go to which receivers at the splitter.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,917 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:14 PM

First step is to determine if the DIRECTV equipment/connections are even related to your wireless issue. Try unplugging (removing power) from all the DirecTV equipment, while leaving everything else intact and see if your wireless issue is still there or is resolved.

Also, have you or any of your immediate neighbors done anything else with any type of electronic equipment (especially wireless equipment)? Something as simple as a cordless phone can cause your symptoms.

#7 OFFLINE   xhortation

xhortation

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:23 PM

I will try disconnecting all of the equipment tomorrow and I'll post results. Thank you for all your help!

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:00 PM

Generally, the only way the DirecTV equipment will affect your wireless is if the Cinema Connection Kit being used to bridge your DirecTV receivers to your network is the wireless version. If you have a network cable going from your router to a DirecTV device, you are not using the wireless version.

The one other way that your network might be impacted is if your receivers are assigned IP addresses via DHCP. If so, it could be that you are using up your allotted number IP addresses that your router is allowed to assign.

For example, your router might be set to allow 10 devices. If you have 4 receivers, that leaves only 6 other devices that can get IP addresses. Add in a desktop, a few laptops and other wireless devices and you might end up with more devices than allowed IP addresses. Thus, devices trying to connect to your network will not be allowed access.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#9 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:33 PM

Guys I really need help,

I got whole home dvr installed about two weeks ago and about the same time my routers 2.4GHz wireless band range was greatly reduced the 5GHz band works fine but not all my wireless devices can get the 5GHz band. At first I thought my router was bad so I installed a new one (2.4GHz only), and the same problem happened.

I have tried disconnecting and powering off the whole home device that that is connected to my router at the same time I unplugged all wires from my HD DVR that are also right next to the modem and router. I have also tried different channels on the 2.4GHz band and no luck.

My modem and router are in a room about 10 feet away from the dish and other D*parts installed.

Thanks,
Bubby B

Is there a way for you to scan for other wireless signals in the neighborhood. You might be able to see if there are some new APs close by that might be flooding your 2.4 GHz. Neighbors wireless phone can also do this.

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

Is there a way for you to scan for other wireless signals in the neighborhood. You might be able to see if there are some new APs close by that might be flooding your 2.4 GHz. Neighbors wireless phone can do this.

Yup. Another wireless router could be using the same channel.

- Merg

#11 OFFLINE   xhortation

xhortation

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:04 AM

I've tried all channels on my router and I get the same result every time.

What are my options if it turns out to be neighboring signals causing the problems other than asking them to relocate their device or use another channel?

#12 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:15 AM

What are my options if it turns out to be neighboring signals causing the problems other than asking them to relocate their device or use another channel?

Did you check your DHCP range? And what exactly are the symptons you are experiencing with your wireless clients?

- Merg

#13 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:14 AM

It is recommended that either channel one or eleven be used. That's because most routers are set to six. Assuming most of your neighbors that are at close range don't know how to get into the router settings.

In addition, you should be able to see if there are any networks with strong signals close to you. Did the installer get into your router? Make sure your router is set to mixed and not just B, G, or N. Connection rate should be at maximum. For example my max connection rate is 54mbps.

Edited by n3vino, 27 December 2011 - 08:31 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:04 AM

Title of the thread is wireless jammed. My definition or assumptions about jamming could be different than yours. Can you explain what you mean by jamming?

Can you take any screenshots from a PC or ipad with wireless connections and include those to show us any jamming as you describe it?

#15 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,981 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:08 PM

If you have an Android phone or tablet, there is a nice free app called WiFi Analyzer which will show nearby networks plus the frequency and signal strength of each. There is an iPod app of the same name but it is not the same thing.

#16 OFFLINE   xhortation

xhortation

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:56 PM

I think I found the problem. Around the same time of the install I got a speaker dock for my iPhone that has bluetooth connection. Last night I started unplugging things one by one and when I unplugged the dock a few moments later I got strong readings and speed in every room. At first I thought it was a fluke but today i am still getting strong signals in every room. Thanks to all of you for your help.

#17 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:14 PM

Not surprised to hear Bluetooth as the culprit.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#18 OFFLINE   bigglebowski

bigglebowski

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:43 PM

If you have an Android phone or tablet, there is a nice free app called WiFi Analyzer which will show nearby networks plus the frequency and signal strength of each. There is an iPod app of the same name but it is not the same thing.

A great program for PC laptops is Net Stumbler. This program will let you walk around or drive and it will log all the access points in your area. You will be able to see signal strengths the AP's names and channel info. I have heard that it will not work with every wireless adapter out there but I have never seen one not work. There are cards that will be more accurate for signal level purposes but most will give you useful info.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...