Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Second TV hook up for daughter

upgrade

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tomallison24

tomallison24

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:41 PM

I am a DISH network guy but daughter has Directv. She has a HR20-700(could be HR21 if that matters). It is a HDDVR with 2 tuners. She only has 1 TV hooked up to it now. We just bought her an HDTV for her bedroom. When we went to hook it up we discovered no cable was run into her bedroom(same floor).

I am going to call Directtv tomorrow to see what our options are but didn't want to end up with something(and pricing) we shouldn't have.

Best scenario would be to be able to split off from other Receiver to watch what she has recorded and/or watch one of the 2 tuners. She wouldn't mind having to get another HDDVR for the bedroom for, I believe, $7.00/month.

Any ideas on what is the best path? Should we be paying any installation costs? Any reason to wait on the new receiver out? She has pretty simple requirements. Thanks heaps.
Directv installed 1/9/12, HR34,H24 and 2 H25
Dish from 7/2/09 previously TWC for 28 years
HDTV Samsung PN58B650
Denon AVR-1610
Sony Bluray N460

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:47 PM

You can run component/audio or HDMI to that room, and use the DVR she has in both rooms (both would show the same program, cant watch two different shows in each room), or add a receiver, or dvr in the second room ($7/mo). Independently, or shared as a whole home system ($3 per month more), or wait until February and pay $99 for the new media center DVR (HR34) with 5 tuners, and put the current DVR in her bedroom to watch shows from it, or the HR34 (again, $7 + $3).

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:20 PM

As long as she doesn't need to be able to simultaneously watch different programming in the two rooms, this is an alternative to consider.

http://www.bestbuy.c...ontec&cp=1&lp=1

I was skeptical, but I gave it a try, and mine works great. They can be had for around $200.

#4 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 946 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:25 PM

You can run component/audio or HDMI to that room, and use the DVR she has in both rooms (both would show the same program, cant watch two different shows in each room), or add a receiver, or dvr in the second room ($7/mo). Independently, or shared as a whole home system ($3 per month more), or wait until February and pay $99 for the new media center DVR (HR34) with 5 tuners, and put the current DVR in her bedroom to watch shows from it, or the HR34 (again, $7 + $3).

I very seriously doubt the HR34 will be $99 to existing customers.

#5 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:37 PM

You have 3 options to meet the request.

You could do one of the solutions in this thread to have the HD DVR split to the second HD TV. There are some drawbacks to this and some positives. Since you know the layout of the house you can choose if running a cable from the HD DVR to the other room is an issue or not.

The second option is to get a HD receiver ($99 normal price $49 installatio and $6 a month for mirroring) which will allow her to watch programming independant of the HD DVR.

The third option is to order Whole Home DVR which will allow her to watch what is recorded on another receiver HD or HD DVR in both rooms. Pricing can vary quite a bit based on account so I will just give the regular prices WHDVR $199 (cinema connection kit is included if she has internet so she can have on demand and other services) and the the price for the HD receiver.

Now with all that said I would call DIRECTV and see what they give you for pricing for the second and third option. You can buy some expensive hardware as mentioned above and save a monthly cost but you also give up functionality which may or may not matter depending on if she has guests or not.

#6 OFFLINE   tomallison24

tomallison24

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for the input, all. Called Directv today. My daughter wants, at a minimum, another HDDVR for her bedroom. She was quoted $199 plus $49 installation and another $199 for whole house. We talked awhile and rep said she would take $100 off due to good payment history(autopay). That's still $350 total for the wholehouse DVR plus $6 and $3 per month. Seems awfully, awfully steep to me. Is this correct? Is this the best they will do for my daughter or should I fight more? Hate to fake cancellation, but maybe all is fair in love(sat.) and war!
HDTV Samsung PN58B650
Denon AVR-1610
Sony Bluray N460

#7 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:12 AM

She could save another $100 if she doesn't need more recording capacity and just get a HD receiver.

#8 OFFLINE   tomallison24

tomallison24

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:58 PM

She could save another $100 if she doesn't need more recording capacity and just get a HD receiver.

Does that mean thru whole house she will be able to watch her recorded programs from the hddvr thru the 2nd receiver(hd)?
HDTV Samsung PN58B650
Denon AVR-1610
Sony Bluray N460

#9 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:02 PM

Yes the HD would be able to see what's on the HD DVR. That's what Whole Home DVR is. If you don't want to watch recorded shows in other rooms you don't need it.

#10 OFFLINE   tomallison24

tomallison24

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:59 PM

Daughter decided to go with 2nd HDDVR as opposed to whole house. The second call to the CSR got it reduced to $51.?? for the box and free installation. It is adding $6/month to her bill.

Thanks again to everyone for your replies, now I'm going to investigate moving from Dish as I am adding at least one HDTV.
HDTV Samsung PN58B650
Denon AVR-1610
Sony Bluray N460

#11 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:02 PM

If you're going to move from dish I would go to http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/referral this offer will give you and your daughter another $100 in discounts.

If you do not go through the website or call the specific number it becomes ineligible to be added

#12 OFFLINE   tomallison24

tomallison24

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:39 AM

If you're going to move from dish I would go to http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/referral this offer will give you and your daughter another $100 in discounts.

If you do not go through the website or call the specific number it becomes ineligible to be added

Appreciate it.
HDTV Samsung PN58B650
Denon AVR-1610
Sony Bluray N460

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: upgrade

Protected By... spam firewall...And...