Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Whole Home DVR - 3rd DVR not working

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   al4

al4

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:29 AM

I had two HR24's setup as part of the Whole Home DVR package. Each other could see and playback the others programming.

I added a third one HR24, and that HR24 - when set to the EXACT same settings as the first two - it does not see any content of the others and the other two do not see it.

DirecTV was unable to provide any answers - they did not set it up - it was purchased from the company who setup the first two HR24's. It's setup as SWM (one cable to each DVR) and there is a little booster off of one. No Ethernet involved.

Is there anything that I can try that the DTV CSR person did not know?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,739 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:42 AM

I had two HR24's setup as part of the Whole Home DVR package. Each other could see and playback the others programming.

I added a third one HR24, and that HR24 - when set to the EXACT same settings as the first two - it does not see any content of the others and the other two do not see it.

DirecTV was unable to provide any answers - they did not set it up - it was purchased from the company who setup the first two HR24's. It's setup as SWM (one cable to each DVR) and there is a little booster off of one. No Ethernet involved.

Is there anything that I can try that the DTV CSR person did not know?

Have you tried resetting all of the DVR's?

What do you mean by "a little booster off of one"? Can you take a picture of it? Is it on the new one that can't be seen? If so, that might be your problem.

#3 OFFLINE   al4

al4

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:55 AM

It is a SWM Power Inserter.

The other two worked fine before the SWM Power Inserter and after. It was awhile after we added the 3rd HR24.

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,600 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:46 AM

First thing to try resetting ALL of the Receivers/DVRs. See if that re-initializes their connections.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:22 AM

When you say you have it set up with the same settings as the other... Did you let the new receiver get its own IP address or did you copy the IP address from one of the other receivers to the new one? If you did the latter, you then have two receivers with the same IP address and that will not work.

One of the easiest ways to get this fixed is to perform a Reset Network Settings on all three DVR's.

Some other things to look at are what IP address it was assigned if it did get one. Are the others using 192.168.x.x and this one is 169.254.x.x? Are they all using 169.254.x.x? Are your receivers connected to the Internet? Did you plug in a network cable to the new box?

Just some other food for thought.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#6 OFFLINE   al4

al4

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:38 AM

I will give it a shot (Reset of Network Settings).

#7 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:40 AM

What exactly am I resetting? Am I doing a reboot of the machines or just resetting the network settings?

Reboot all three HR24s.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#8 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:42 AM

Also, I noticed that you say the new unit has a PI on it. Why did you install another PI? Did the company who did the initial install not install a SWM to begin with?
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,769 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:51 AM

I will give it a shot (Reset of Network Settings).

What's I'd do is look at the system info screen and check what IP address it's using and if it shows "coax connected" under the networking.
report back and we can help.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   al4

al4

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:04 AM

I had set IP's on the first two boxes in an attempt to get them online. It wasn't until after that I found out the Ethernet ports did not work like they did on the HR20's.

I reset all the IP's and restarted the receivers (restart probably not necessary but did it anyway) - and all the playlists are functioning correctly between them.

Thanks.

#11 OFFLINE   al4

al4

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:08 AM

Also, I noticed that you say the new unit has a PI on it. Why did you install another PI? Did the company who did the initial install not install a SWM to begin with?

Initially when it was first installed the installer did not have time to find a place for the dish that the rental people would be OK with. So what he did was tie it in with another dish temporarily.

Once he came back a week later, he installed a new dish and gave us the PI. The PI went on the downstairs unit. The downstairs and main floor unit worked fine together via playlist sharing - as I had already changed IP's to a non-link local IP scheme (ie: not 169.254.X.X). We added the new unit - apparently DTV never thought of suggesting to reset the network settings on the new unit, and I had forgotten about changing the Network Settings on the first two. The PI is off one of the units - the downstairs one - not the new one. We've had the PI since we got the dish - but only one.

#12 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:47 PM

Initially when it was first installed the installer did not have time to find a place for the dish that the rental people would be OK with. So what he did was tie it in with another dish temporarily.

Once he came back a week later, he installed a new dish and gave us the PI. The PI went on the downstairs unit. The downstairs and main floor unit worked fine together via playlist sharing - as I had already changed IP's to a non-link local IP scheme (ie: not 169.254.X.X). We added the new unit - apparently DTV never thought of suggesting to reset the network settings on the new unit, and I had forgotten about changing the Network Settings on the first two. The PI is off one of the units - the downstairs one - not the new one. We've had the PI since we got the dish - but only one.

If your receivers are not connected to the Internet, by resetting the network settings, you caused all three to revert to APIPA (169.254.x.x). Once all three are have that common IP address, they can see each other. Since you had changed the others to a scheme of 192.168.x.x, when you added the new one and it reverted to 169.254.x.x, they couldn't see each other.

As long as you are not connected to your router with the receivers, you can leave them at 169.254.x.x and you'll be fine. If you do end up using a Connection Kit to connect to the Internet, you might need to Reset the Network Settings once that is setup so that it will then grab an IP address from the router itself.

- Merg

#13 OFFLINE   al4

al4

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

If your receivers are not connected to the Internet, by resetting the network settings, you caused all three to revert to APIPA (169.254.x.x). Once all three are have that common IP address, they can see each other. Since you had changed the others to a scheme of 192.168.x.x, when you added the new one and it reverted to 169.254.x.x, they couldn't see each other.

As long as you are not connected to your router with the receivers, you can leave them at 169.254.x.x and you'll be fine. If you do end up using a Connection Kit to connect to the Internet, you might need to Reset the Network Settings once that is setup so that it will then grab an IP address from the router itself.

- Merg

I initially set IP's on the first two while trying to get access to the Internet. I found out later you needed the Connection Kit - and since those were the only two we had, I left the settings I had setup.

I didn't realize that the HR24's talked via IP (not sure why I didn't realize that - it worked so I didn't think of it much beyond that).

Since they weren't connected to the Internet, I just let them reset and left it as-is. Once I get Connection Kit's for them (or 2 or 1), I'll change the IP's to ones in my network scheme.

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,769 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:30 PM

Sometimes I think people "over think" all of this and it is what causes issues.
All mine are running on defaults, both in my router and the receivers.
They all work fine, and have been since connected.
I would only make changes if I had problems.
A.K.A VOS

#15 ONLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

Amen, brother!

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#16 OFFLINE   al4

al4

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:38 PM

I believe it is just simply a matter of not knowing.

I had moved and got the HR24's. I tried to connect them to my network like I did my HR20. I set an IP on the first unit and when it didn't connect, I tried the upstairs. At that point they were both on the same IP subnet. I then found out that you needed the Connection Kit - I wasn't up to buying one right that second, so I left things as is. Since they worked (again, both on the same IP subnet) and they were the only two - that was that. Once I made this post and realized they talked to each other via IP for that and since there is no outside communication beyond the DVR's talking to each other, I just left them as default 169.254.X.X once I reset them.

If I did decide to get the Connection Kit's, I'd just set IP's on all of them into the IP subnet I use (192.168.0.X /24).

#17 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

I initially set IP's on the first two while trying to get access to the Internet. I found out later you needed the Connection Kit - and since those were the only two we had, I left the settings I had setup.

I didn't realize that the HR24's talked via IP (not sure why I didn't realize that - it worked so I didn't think of it much beyond that).

Since they weren't connected to the Internet, I just let them reset and left it as-is. Once I get Connection Kit's for them (or 2 or 1), I'll change the IP's to ones in my network scheme.

If you get a Cinema Connection Kit, that one will get all 3 of your receivers connected to the Internet (and your router).

- Merg

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,769 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:29 PM

If you get a Cinema Connection Kit, that one will get all 3 of your receivers connected to the Internet (and your router).

- Merg

And depending on how well the router works, DHCP will supply all the IPs [like my setup] and it will be a "no brainner". :)
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:31 PM

And depending on how well the router works, DHCP will supply all the IPs [like my setup] and it will be a "no brainner". :)

Yeah, I really think people are better not setting Ips most the time.

#20 OFFLINE   al4

al4

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:04 AM

It probably would work but I'm a computer storage professional by day, so I'm quite adept with networks and IP addressing. I didn't change them to "change" them. I was initially trying to get them to connect to the DirecTV service so I could get On-Demand content, like I had with the previous DVR's I had. Once I realized I needed a Connection Kit - I forgot all about any existing IP addressing I had set.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...