Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDMI signal not supported?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ggotch5445

ggotch5445

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:20 AM

Hello,
I am the home theater expert (or thought I was!) in my community.

My neighbor, who has had a good experience with his component connection, to his 722k, just received an HDMI cable from me for Christmas. We have found that with connecting his new cable to his Sony HDTV, the TV is responding "not a supported format, check source device". The display is also flashing "480i SD" as well.

Anyone have thoughts as to a solution to this dilemma? I have never encountered this with my 722.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:27 AM

I believe there is an HDMI reset on the 722. I wish I could tell you where but I'm not home right now.

The other thing to try is power on the components in a different order. My Panny TV likes to be on first before I power up my AV receiver. Otherwise the HDMI handshake is a bit flaky.

Also, unplug both the TV and the 722 from the wall, install the 722 and power up the 722. After its done with its reboot, try the TV.

Other than tha I'm at a loss.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:39 PM

If he has an older HDTV it is also possible the 722 is set for a mode that the TV may not accept.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#4 OFFLINE   MikeJH@DISH Network

MikeJH@DISH Network

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:06 PM

Hello,
I am the home theater expert (or thought I was!) in my community.

My neighbor, who has had a good experience with his component connection, to his 722k, just received an HDMI cable from me for Christmas. We have found that with connecting his new cable to his Sony HDTV, the TV is responding "not a supported format, check source device". The display is also flashing "480i SD" as well.

Anyone have thoughts as to a solution to this dilemma? I have never encountered this with my 722.

Thanks

It sounds like you are dealing with HDCP issues. Press the Menu button on the remote then select "System Setup," "Installation," "System Info," and "Next." Verify that "HDCP" displays "Yes. If "No" then either the TV or digital video connection is not HDCP-capable. If your connection is not digital, the receiver will not be able to verify that their TV is HDCP capable. HDCP affects only a small number of customers. Some customers may be affected by HDCP if they have an HDTV from 2005 or before AND if they have a digital connection.

#5 OFFLINE   ggotch5445

ggotch5445

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:39 PM

Thanks everyone for responding.

Had I expected that there could have been any kind of issue here, I would never have given my neighbor the HDMI cable. He is quite the most impatient kind of person, making it difficult to attempt to calmly solve the problem. And as I mentioned he really had been content with the component connection.

I was hoping that someone would say, "just go into screen A, click B, and connect the cable." :)

I might try dmspen's thought about unplugging the 722, connecting the cable, and then let it boot up. Otherwise I may tell my neighbor to keep the cable for when they finally get a Blu-ray player. Or wait for some possible incident where Dish would have to come out, and he could mention the issue to the tech at that time.

For my own part however, I remain puzzled at his TV flashing the "480i SD" notice. I thought that perhaps some misplaced setting was somehow feeding the TV2 SD signal digitally, through the HDMI output on the 722.

Well, I'll keep checking back to the thread in case someone remembers something that could be causing the issue, but thanks again to you guys for offering your thoughts.

#6 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:31 PM

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it", strikes again.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:45 PM

It sounds like you are dealing with HDCP issues. Press the Menu button on the remote then select "System Setup," "Installation," "System Info," and "Next." Verify that "HDCP" displays "Yes. If "No" then either the TV or digital video connection is not HDCP-capable. If your connection is not digital, the receiver will not be able to verify that their TV is HDCP capable. HDCP affects only a small number of customers. Some customers may be affected by HDCP if they have an HDTV from 2005 or before AND if they have a digital connection.

How is he supposed to do that when he has no video with the HDMI cable connected?

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

For my own part however, I remain puzzled at his TV flashing the "480i SD" notice. I thought that perhaps some misplaced setting was somehow feeding the TV2 SD signal digitally, through the HDMI output on the 722.

Well, I'll keep checking back to the thread in case someone remembers something that could be causing the issue, but thanks again to you guys for offering your thoughts.

You didn't answer my question about what mode the receiver was set to before connecting the cable... It sounds to me like you have the recover set to output a mode that the HDTV does not accept via HDMI.

Reconnect with the old cables and see what the output is set to... Then try a different setting before connecting the HDMI again.

#9 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:12 AM

How is he supposed to do that when he has no video with the HDMI cable connected?

His component cables still work. If that doesn't work, hook up a coax cable just so you can see the video.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:36 PM

His component cables still work. If that doesn't work, hook up a coax cable just so you can see the video.

True... But with component connected the HDCP will fail anyway... So how can he perform an HDCP test when HDMI is not working at all?

I still think I am right and he just needs to switch to a supported video output.

#11 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:17 PM

Hook up the component cables or RCA cables and go to menu - system setup (6) - HDTV Setup (8) ; sounds like that may be on 480, change to 1080i and then try the HDMI ; if its already on 1080i, then I'm stumped for the moment.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#12 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:35 PM

True... But with component connected the HDCP will fail anyway... So how can he perform an HDCP test when HDMI is not working at all?

I still think I am right and he just needs to switch to a supported video output.

One of my HDTVs gives that same "Not Supported Format" comment when I send it a 1080p signal from my blu ray player, so I think you have a chance of being correct also. But I'm sort of a putz when it comes to much of this :lol:

#13 OFFLINE   ggotch5445

ggotch5445

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:10 PM

You didn't answer my question about what mode the receiver was set to before connecting the cable... It sounds to me like you have the recover set to output a mode that the HDTV does not accept via HDMI.

Reconnect with the old cables and see what the output is set to... Then try a different setting before connecting the HDMI again.

Sorry I didn't get back with the receiver's output. I'm pretty sure that when I checked HDTV setup, while the component cables werte connected, the output noted was 1080i. BTW his Sony HDTV is a 2007 model.

Is there some other setup mode indication I should be looking at?

Thanks

#14 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,320 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

You might want to consider this posting exchange from back in 2007:

One thing you might want to check. Take a look to see if there is a software update available for your TV. That might explain why one of you it works and the other one it does not or the other possibility is a bad HDMI port on your 622.

There are no software updates for this TV yet, the 1st one out is supposed to be within this week or next and will fix some minor loss of resolution issues with the TV picture settings set to Cinema or Custom...Standard and Vivid are not affected (most people run in standard and tweak from there), this update will be available from Sony's Website (www.esupport.sony.com) and will be sent on a USB key free of charge...I haven't heard of any other firmware upgrades and being that I have no issues whatsoever, I don't think its an issue with the TV...

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:31 PM

Sorry I didn't get back with the receiver's output. I'm pretty sure that when I checked HDTV setup, while the component cables werte connected, the output noted was 1080i. BTW his Sony HDTV is a 2007 model.

Is there some other setup mode indication I should be looking at?

Thanks

You might want to double check since it sounds like the TV is saying it is seeing a 480i signal.

IF that isn't what is going on then I am at a loss.

#16 OFFLINE   ggotch5445

ggotch5445

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:59 PM

You might want to double check since it sounds like the TV is saying it is seeing a 480i signal.

IF that isn't what is going on then I am at a loss.

I'll double check that to be sure, but my neighbor's TV image, with the component cables in place, is clearly HD, as his display's incoming signal banner verifys, with its 1080i indication.

I do believe the flashing "480i SD" is indeed some kind of clue, but why it's occurring only with the HDMI remains the mystery.

Thanks

spam firewall