Welcome to DBSTalk
Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
- Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
- Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
- Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
- Customize your profile page and make new friends
RS-232 controlled DVR's connected via USB problematic after GUI update
Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:32 AM
Since the GUI update (Dec 21 for the Denver market), my DVR as well as MANY of my clients have been behaving erratically. They are changing channels on their own. This appears to be limited to DVRs that are being controlled RS-232 via a USB adapter. My own at home as been running for years without an issue, and after the update I have this strange issue.
It's also extremely erratic and random. It can occur while no commands are being sent to the unit at all. It can seemingly occur after hours have passed with no interaction with the DVR at all.
At first, my DVR was jumping to channel 9, and ONLY channel 9. In fact, while watching that disaster of a Bronco game this weekend (unless you're a Buffalo fan), my tuner jumped from ch 4 to ch 9. After it occurred, I decided to hit prev ch and it went back to ch 4. I then hit it again to see if it would go back to ch 9 and it didn't. It went to ch 7. it was as if the receiver never knew it was on ch 9 at all.
Since then, I've been teleported to ch 248, 501, and something in the 8000's. And as irritating as it is for me, I have a LOT of clients with DVR's connected via 232 as well. They have not been shy in contacting my company and voicing their displeasure.
Converting all of these homes back to ir isn't an option. There are just too many of them (in the hundreds). And I KNOW this is related to the new GUI update as non of these clients have ever had a problem until the GUI update was delivered.
Now, before you say "call Directv", I've already posted on their tech forum, and emailed them directly as well. I'll be calling my Directv rep this afternoon as well. I really want to know how many other people out there are having the same issue, and if they are have THEY received any kind of answer yet.
Thanks in advance,
||...Ads Help To Support This Site...||
Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:44 AM
Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:56 AM
I've been using RS-232 control for years now, originally on an HR21-700 and more recently on a HR24-100 (I got fed up with the UI lag on the HR21).
I really want to know how many other people out there are having the same issue, and if they are have THEY received any kind of answer yet.
I haven't seen any problems like you report on my units. I'm using the GUC232A USB/serial adapter as recommended in the application note.
If you aren't using 2-way control (just sending commands), you might want to try disconnecting all pins except ground and the serial data to the VCR, in your RS-232 cable that connects to the USB adapter. If for some reason the HR is sending something out the serial port and your control device is echoing it back to the HR, you can see some really odd effects happen.
Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:53 PM
Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:00 PM
Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:45 AM
Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:58 PM
Thanks. Hope you're right and I hope it sooner rather than later. Clients not happy!
Any update on this?
Have a number of customers that have been calling us as well.
Using the I/O Gear USB to serial adapter, all integrated to Crestron.
Customers not happy.
Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:30 PM
I don't have DirecTV myself, so if anyone could try it and post the results, that would be great. Want to let all our upset customers know as well, but like to make sure it works first.
1) menu>system setup>guide setup> change to "show all channels"
2) Remove the access card
3) Reboot the receiver (fine to just press the red button)
4) Re insert the card when the box asks for it, not until then.
5) menu>system setup>guide setup> change to "hide SD duplicates" or whatever you had it as before.
According to them, that is the fix.
Something along the line with that the guide info/firmware/settings/whatever is now pulled from the satellite and not from the card this way...
Please post the results!!