Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Everywhere -- Watch TV on your PC and mobile device

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

Any details on this other than "soon"?

Dear DIRECTV® Customer,

At DIRECTV, we pride ourselves on delivering the very best technological innovations, programming choices and service offerings. In the last year, we have enhanced your overall television entertainment experience in a number of exceptional ways:

• #1 in Customer Satisfaction among all cable and satellite providers*
• An unparalleled variety of the best shows, sports, movies and entertainment
• More than 170 full-time HD channels, the most of any television provider
• Access to HBO GO® and MAX GO® anywhere with your computer or mobile device
• A smarter, lighting fast HD On-Screen Guide, optimized for HD television
• The most full-time 3D channels

Coming Soon...Watch TV on your PC and mobile device with DIRECTV Everywhere

Above all else, we strive to bring you the best selection of movies, sporting events and television channels. Annually, the owners of these TV channels increase the fees they charge to DIRECTV for the right to broadcast their content. As a result, DIRECTV must periodically adjust the pricing and channel lineups of some of our programming packages so that we can keep these channels in your package.

This year, the programming costs we pay to owners of TV channels will increase about 10%, but we have chosen to adjust the prices our customers pay by an average of only 4%. On February 9, 2012, new pricing will be applied to DIRECTV® programming packages and services. Click here for more complete details.

We look forward to continuing to provide you with the highest quality entertainment, service and value. Thank you for your business.

Sincerely,

Ellen Filipiak
Senior Vice President of Customer Service

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

No date yet but here is some more info from DirecTV (and even more at the link at the bottom):

What is DIRECTV Everywhere?
DIRECTV brings you the best entertainment experience, and now you can take it with you everywhere you go. Watch the hottest movies and shows instantly on your laptop, iPad®, or cell phone. Set your DVR, order movies and live events to watch on your TV, and share your entertainment on Facebook and Twitter. You can do all this and more with My DIRECTV, your ultimate entertainment destination.

Watch the hottest movies and shows anywhere, anytime, on your laptop, iPad®, or cell phone.
Browse dedicated pages for movies, shows, live events—even your favorite premium networks, like HBO®, Cinemax®, and more.
Create Favorites lists of channels, movies, and TV shows for quick access.
See your recently purchased movies available for online viewing all in one place.
Take advantage of advanced search features like typeahead and then filter your results by various categories: channels, genre, even star ratings.
Share the entertainment you like with your friends and followers on Facebook and Twitter.
Add movies still in theaters to your DVR queue. They’ll automatically appear in your DVR playlist as soon they’re released for home viewing.

from DirecTV Everywhere

#3 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for the link. I still can't figure out "how" DIRECTV everywhere will work though. Streaming from the in-home receivers? Streaming from a library of content on DIRECTV servers? No streaming, but copying instead?

Also ... what's the cost? It would be nice if it was free, but I'll set my expectations low and hope for a pleasant surprise...

Edited by Drew2k, 27 December 2011 - 08:57 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:22 PM

It will be a web interface you login with your DIRECTV credentials.

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

It sounds like they are going to have the iPad app on the pc, since the iPad app will do all this today, between all the streaming channels, and that you can use hbo go, nomad, etc... Too.

#6 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:31 PM

It sounds like they are going to have the iPad app on the pc, since the iPad app will do all this today, between all the streaming channels, hbo go, nomad, etc...

The iPad app won't do it all...

This sounds like you will be able to use it anywhere... the iPad only allows streaming in the home.

Hopefully, the app will be updated with this ability at the same time...

~Alan

Edited by Alan Gordon, 27 December 2011 - 09:33 PM.
added final thought...

#7 OFFLINE   hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:42 PM

The iPad app won't do it all...

This sounds like you will be able to use it anywhere... the iPad only allows streaming in the home.

Hopefully, the app will be updated with this ability at the same time...

~Alan

This. The iPad app does not do everything this is stating. Im wondering how similar this going to be to Sling, if at all?
<Living Room HR34-700-Networked Wireless CCK*-w/ LiL-HDMI-Vizio E601i-a3 60" 1080p LED HDTV> <Master Bedroom HR24-100-Networked COAX*-w/ LiL*HDMI-Olevia 37" LCD HDTV>
<Man Cave HR24-100-Networked COAX*-w/ LiL-HDMI-Samsung 46" LN46B530 1080p LCD HDTV> *Linksys Router <Backup Equipment HR22-100, H21-200, R15 and SD DIRECTiVo>
DIRECTV Since August 2002. Thanks for DLB & MRV DIRECTV!

NFL Sunday Ticket + Superfan since 2004 Go KC Chiefs!

#8 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:52 PM

I think Shades has it right. ;)

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#9 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:57 PM

This. The iPad app does not do everything this is stating. Im wondering how similar this going to be to Sling, if at all?

I doubt it's anything like Sling... my bet is streaming from DirecTV's servers just like the iPad app now, but you'll have the ability to do it EVERYWHERE instead of just in your own home.

~Alan

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:23 AM

You mean for pc access? That'd be nice since it would also work on a Mac that way.

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:43 AM

You mean for pc access? That'd be nice since it would also work on a Mac that way.

Only if it works with one of the Mac specific browsers...Safari is not the best for compatibility of websites...Safari mobile even less so...

#12 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:21 AM

Only if it works with one of the Mac specific browsers...Safari is not the best for compatibility of websites...Safari mobile even less so...

Can't you use Chrome and get the IE tab plugin? However I'm willing to bet that given the nature of the web interface Mac users should be ok with this.

#13 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,472 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:08 AM

Actually, the iPad app does do all that is listed except that it is currently limited to within your home and on your wifi network for much of it (some can be done outside, like scheduling). All they need to do is open it up to outside the home.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#14 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:15 AM

Actually, the iPad app does do all that is listed except that it is currently limited to within your home and on your wifi network for much of it (some can be done outside, like scheduling). All they need to do is open it up to outside the home.

Which I'm guessing can open up a whole new set of problems. Right now everything is locked down to a single subnet, I'd guess for a very good reason having to do with DRM/piracy etc...

#15 OFFLINE   OverThereTooMuch

OverThereTooMuch

Almost a new member

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:55 PM

Hopefully they will support non-Apple mobile devices too! :)
My Setup

Proud MS Employee, but the opinions expressed in my posts are my own personal opinions and are not intended to represent my employer's view in any way. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

#16 OFFLINE   TEN89

TEN89

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

i'm guessing it will be like netflix. and you will have to pay a monthly fee.

#17 OFFLINE   Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:05 PM

I don't understand this. I use all the same browsers on my Macs (Firefox, Chrome, Opera) as I did on PCs and haven't come across a streaming website that doesn't work in 4+ years.

#18 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,949 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:22 PM

I don't understand this. I use all the same browsers on my Macs (Firefox, Chrome, Opera) as I did on PCs and haven't come across a streaming website that doesn't work in 4+ years.

Maybe he's concerned it'll be Flash-based! (Hence not work on iPhones or iPads)....?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#19 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:15 AM

If it uses Flash your SOL...

#20 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:00 AM

If it uses Flash your SOL...

I would say that would be a huge setback then. Isn't Adobe even moving away from Flash? I thought I read that somewhere.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

spam firewall