Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Are Movies from Walmart same as other retailers?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:20 AM

Call me late but I finally bought myself the BR Matrix box set consisting of the three movies, the anima movie and the obligatory special features disk. Upon starting the first movie I immediately noticed no menu, just the copyright warning then straight to the feature.

Years ago I thought Walmart screwed with movies to lower cost. I only paid $32.99. At BB it was a few dollars more.

Is what I described the norm for box sets or was my movies Walmartized?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,828 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:24 AM

I have seen Wal-Mart versions of movies that don't have special features. It makes sense.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:41 AM

I've seen Walmart sell movies that are part of a boxed set where you only get the disc with the movie. "The Big Red One" comes to mind. Disc One is printed on the DVD.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,828 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:51 AM

Yeah The Wizard Of Oz was sold like that at Wal-Mart.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,822 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:56 AM

Was it BluRay or DVD? I've noticed many Warner Bros BluRays go directly to the main feature.

Oh wait, you did say "BR" which means BluRay. I just pulled out my Matrix BluRay book as well as the Matrix BluRay set. Both go directly to the movie, which seems to be the standard for Warner Bros. releases.

And, yes, you can laugh at me for having multiple versions of the same movie series. I got the original Matrix when first released in the "snapper" case, then the UltiMatrix DVD set, then the Matrix BluRay book, then the UltiMatrix in BluRay. There are differences between the original DVD release, the Ultimatrix DVD set, and the BluRay set. There is, however, no difference in disc contents between the Matrix BluRay book and the Matrix BluRay set.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#6 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:14 AM

Was it BluRay or DVD? I've noticed many Warner Bros BluRays go directly to the main feature.

Oh wait, you did say "BR" which means BluRay. I just pulled out my Matrix BluRay book as well as the Matrix BluRay set. Both go directly to the movie, which seems to be the standard for Warner Bros. releases.

And, yes, you can laugh at me for having multiple versions of the same movie series. I got the original Matrix when first released in the "snapper" case, then the UltiMatrix DVD set, then the Matrix BluRay book, then the UltiMatrix in BluRay. There are differences between the original DVD release, the Ultimatrix DVD set, and the BluRay set. There is, however, no difference in disc contents between the Matrix BluRay book and the Matrix BluRay set.

Not laughing. I have multiple versions of Ben Hur.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#7 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,822 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:21 AM

Not laughing. I have multiple versions of Ben Hur.

Same here. Along with Toy Story, Sound of Music, and a few others. This is not just a BluRay upgrade, but multiple releases where non-movie buffs look at you strangely and ask "Why?" Reminds me of the joke from Men In Black where one of the characters comment about having to get the White album again.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#8 OFFLINE   markfp

markfp

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:33 AM

Personally, I always wished DVDs went right the film instead of the menu. I one wants the menue then it should just be a push of a button.

#9 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

Personally, I always wished DVDs went right the film instead of the menu. I one wants the menue then it should just be a push of a button.

That's one of the reasons I make a backup copy (for person use) of many/most DVDs that I purchase. I make my backup copy go straight to the program material, and I definitrely skip the advertisments and non-skipable content.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

spam firewall