Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Buffer question

schedule

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CrazyforYeshua

CrazyforYeshua

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:41 AM

I searched, but couldn't find any recent threads on this....Why do we not have a buffer for the channel that you're on? For example: If the TV is on channel 27, and I'm watching something recorded, and it's over, why can't I back up to watch, say, a half hour before to catch the news? I guess I'm used to D*'s DVR's, cause you can do that, but I haven't figured out why you can't with Dish....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:08 AM

I searched, but couldn't find any recent threads on this....Why do we not have a buffer for the channel that you're on? For example: If the TV is on channel 27, and I'm watching something recorded, and it's over, why can't I back up to watch, say, a half hour before to catch the news? I guess I'm used to D*'s DVR's, cause you can do that, but I haven't figured out why you can't with Dish....

The work around is to make sure both tuners are tuned to the same channel.;)

#3 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:43 AM

Or the way I've done it, is to simply swap the buffering tuner with the other tuner, putting the buffering one into the "background", THEN start watching DVR'd events.

THEN, when you want to check on the buffered tuner after you are done with the DVR, simply go back to live tv, then swap the buffered tuner from the background...you can even put the buffered tuner on PAUSE & leave it there. As long as you put it back in the background BEFORE you go back to DVR'd shows, the pause will remain until you bring it back as the active tuner on live TV.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:40 PM

You do have a buffer for the channel you are on... EXCEPT when watching a recording. I do not know why... But that is and has been a limitation of the Dish DVRs the whole time.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   CrazyforYeshua

CrazyforYeshua

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

Don't ya think that's kind of weird tho? I mean, that's the one hook, isn't it? To be able to rewind and watch what you've missed...and not just for live TV. I don't know why Dish chose to do that...but on a duo 722, that is hooked up to 2 TV's, that won't work at all....since you only have 1 tuner...

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:36 PM

Don't ya think that's kind of weird tho? I mean, that's the one hook, isn't it? To be able to rewind and watch what you've missed...and not just for live TV. I don't know why Dish chose to do that...but on a duo 722, that is hooked up to 2 TV's, that won't work at all....since you only have 1 tuner...

It is only a problem when you watch a recording... The rest of the time it is buffering. The workaround is to record the channel before you begin playback... Then you can watch that new recording later.

I would guess it is a performance limitation, otherwise they would have it buffering during playback.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#7 OFFLINE   CrazyforYeshua

CrazyforYeshua

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:31 AM

Or the way I've done it, is to simply swap the buffering tuner with the other tuner, putting the buffering one into the "background", THEN start watching DVR'd events.

THEN, when you want to check on the buffered tuner after you are done with the DVR, simply go back to live tv, then swap the buffered tuner from the background...you can even put the buffered tuner on PAUSE & leave it there. As long as you put it back in the background BEFORE you go back to DVR'd shows, the pause will remain until you bring it back as the active tuner on live TV.

I forgot to ask...how do you put it in the "background"?

#8 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:20 AM

I forgot to ask...how do you put it in the "background"?

The DVR automatically does it when you swap to the other tuner...

#9 OFFLINE   CrazyforYeshua

CrazyforYeshua

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:40 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure how to do that, I'm still new to Dish....

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:45 PM

Use PIP function keys.

#11 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:50 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure how to do that, I'm still new to Dish....

Towards the bottom of your remote is a "Swap" button. The reciever will need to be in the Single Mode and it will swap tuner 1 & tuner 2, depending on your receiver it is what allows for picture in picture as well.

Mary Catherine Brady
Team Lead- Dish Internet Response Team

Sunday-Wednesday 2:30pm-11:00pm, Thursday 1:30pm-10:00pm (MST)

#12 OFFLINE   CrazyforYeshua

CrazyforYeshua

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:42 PM

Thank you!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...