Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Please direct me to a discussion on setting up Home internet with direct tv..

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   habudab

habudab

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:07 AM

I am sure this has been discussed a thousand times, so if you can direct me to the right spot, that would be great...

basically i have new house.. i have a SWIM 16.. currently i have and HR-23 and HR-70( i think it is HR-70.... something like that).. 2006 HDDVR.....??? anyway.. i have a Ethernet running to all bedrooms, and coax running from the SWIM 16 to all rooms... but nothing is hooked up for the internet yet. I am just using the swim 16 to run two HDDVR's for now........ I am interested in getting another 4 tv's set up with HD/DVR's.. i would like to use Multiroom viewing and internet to all tv's... I do have a Ethernet switch, it just is not set up yet... I just need to know what i need to get, to get this sytem running on all cylinders...... i would like to start doing some direct tv cinema......

thanks in advance...

BRAD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:08 AM

First, I'm moving this to the connected home forum where you'll find a lot of resources.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:14 AM

Now then... not doubting your setup but I find it surprising that you have a SWM-16 with only two receivers.

At any rate though, go to any of your receivers and press the {DASH} button while on live TV. Does it say "SWiM Connected"? If so, good.

You don't need to connect ethernet to every TV in that case. All you have to do is get a Cinema Connection Kit and connect it to both a coax line and also to the router. If you have a SWiM setup and you've had DIRECTV since 2006 you probably have extra coax lines run.

The Cinema Connection kits come in wired and wireless varieties. Pick the one that makes the most sense to you. Again, they need to be connected to a coax line regardless, but the wireless one can connect to your router wirelessly (assuming you have a wireless router.)

You will also need DECAs. A DECA is a box that splits out ethernet from your coax line. It goes between the coax line and your receiver and connects to the SATELLITE IN 1 and also to the ethernet connection.

If it does not say "SWiM Connected" then yeah, you'll have to run ethernet to every receiver.

So let's start with getting the wires run, then do a "Connect Now" from the Network Setup screen in Settings and Help and you'll probably be in business!

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:17 AM

What you may want to do is balance the cost in time and materials in doing this yourself against calling DIRECTV and getting a Whole-Home installation which can be up to $250 depending on your account. That's a lot but it includes all the hardware you'll need plus installation and also checking all your existing lines and replacing bad ones.

#5 OFFLINE   habudab

habudab

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:24 AM

i do have a SWIM 16.. i did that in preparation for adding more tv's.. which in am about to do... I have coax to all rooms.. My question is that i have my router in my offfice by the computer and there is no coax to that room.. does that mean i have to do it wireless.. that probably wont be as good right.. thanks...

#6 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,399 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:27 AM

i do have a SWIM 16.. i did that in preparation for adding more tv's.. which in am about to do... I have coax to all rooms.. My question is that i have my router in my offfice by the computer and there is no coax to that room.. does that mean i have to do it wireless.. that probably wont be as good right.. thanks...

"Yes and No"
If you go with the connected home networking [DECA] and need a wireless CCK to connect to your home network, MRV will stay on the coax network and work fine, while VOD and other internet services will run through the wireless connection. I'm using a wireless CCK and not having any issues.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:31 AM

If you have a strong wireless signal you won't have problems. I would go over to solidsignal.com and price out some DECAs and a wireless CCK.

#8 OFFLINE   habudab

habudab

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:40 AM

ok.. i think wireless is way to go for me.. where in the house should in put the CCK... and how do i hook it up... thanks.... this seams easier than i thought.. i have a router in house a netgear N-600.. should that do.. i use it for my IPad.......... this help has been great... do all the HDDVRS need DECA, i thought some of the new ones did not need it...like the HR24

#9 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,399 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:44 AM

ok.. i think wireless is way to go for me.. where in the house should in put the CCK... and how do i hook it up... thanks.... this seams easier than i thought.. i have a router in house a netgear N-600.. should that do.. i use it for my IPad.......... this help has been great... do all the HDDVRS need DECA, i thought some of the new ones did not need it...like the HR24

H/HR 24 and up have DECA internally, so only those earlier need a white DECA added.
As to "where" for the wireless CCK, find the closest coax to your router and connect it there.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   habudab

habudab

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:55 AM

can you give me a little more info on the wired set up... just to give you an idea of what i have available to me... what is best wired or wireless.... in my upstairs i have a central loaction in closet that houses my SWIM-16.. from there i have coax and ethernet going to every room except my office.. in my office is my computer and Router.... this is all new to me with the home cinema set up.. can i run an ethernet from my office to the central loaction and hook up my wired CCK at that loaction near my Swim 16, or is that entire idea wrong and just go with a wireless to make it easy....

thaks..

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:01 AM

Really if you have a strong wireless signal there's no difference between wired and wireless. A good wireless signal should be able to propagate even the fastest internet available today.

If you do choose to go wired, it doesn't matter where you do it so long as there is both a coax line and an ethernet line. It does not need to be near the SWiM. It's better if it's near the router, but if you can't make that happen so be it.

Really it's your option.

#12 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,399 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:01 AM

can you give me a little more info on the wired set up... just to give you an idea of what i have available to me... what is best wired or wireless.... in my upstairs i have a central loaction in closet that houses my SWIM-16.. from there i have coax and ethernet going to every room except my office.. in my office is my computer and Router.... this is all new to me with the home cinema set up.. can i run an ethernet from my office to the central loaction and hook up my wired CCK at that loaction near my Swim 16, or is that entire idea wrong and just go with a wireless to make it easy....

thaks..

Going wired could be as easy as this at one of these locations:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1325088052

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   habudab

habudab

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:03 AM

what am i looking at there.....?????????????????

#14 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,399 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:09 AM

what am i looking at there.....?????????????????

Well if you have to ask... :lol:

It's a HR24 [internal DECA], a 2-way splitter feeding the wired CCK, with the other black box being the power inserter for the SWiM.
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:11 AM

The back of a receiver, with a coax line getting split by a "green label" splitter. One side into a CCK, one side into your receiver.

#16 OFFLINE   habudab

habudab

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:33 AM

so i could get on the internet that way and do VOD..... how is the HR24 hooked up to the SWIM-16 in the above diagram...... i think i can do this.. what is the name of the wired CCK.... thanks, this site is so helpful...

#17 OFFLINE   habudab

habudab

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:38 AM

this is what i have so far at my house...... see pic..

Attached Thumbnails

• BRAD H....jpg

#18 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,399 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:41 AM

this is what i have so far at my house...... see pic..

Could you have made it any smaller? :lol:

Here's something from the sticky above:

http://www.dbstalk.c...47&d=1324242989
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:44 AM

The HR24 would be one of the two items connected to the green label splitter.

This is the splitter: http://www.solidsign...ku=874409002404

This is the CCK:http://support.direc...etail/a_id/2993 (choose the self-installation one.)

#20 OFFLINE   habudab

habudab

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:53 AM

tell me if i am wrong, but it looks to me like i can run a coax from one of my green splitters to the wired router and then run a ethernet to my office Router.., does that soud right.. also, please give me name of the wired router, i cant find it on solid signal.........?????????? thanks.. sorry for small pic...

spam firewall