Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Time

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:47 PM

With a lot of help and input from the great folks on the forums, I may just go HD using DTV DVRs. I can get an HR34 and an HR24 owned. The HR34 will immediately be upgraded to 2T and the 1T drive put into the HR24. Sort of match capacity to tuners. I can get an RV Slimline 5 LNB. I understand that a Slimline 5 LNB supports 8 tuners, is that correct? Does the Slimline also provide for legacy devices not SWiM? If so I would keep the old DirecTiVos up and running until we decided if we wanted to keep the HRXX units.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,013 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:57 PM

You found an owned HR34? How much?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:00 PM

Want to buy it first then I will post on the costs.

#4 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,972 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

Owned? Be sure you get the RID and call the Access Card Dept. at Directv to verify it. Do not take any sellers word for it.

A few employees at Directv told me they can't get them yet and that's a usual source of owned units.

#5 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 477 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:12 PM

Slimline 5 LNBs come in two flavors.

One flavor is the original "legacy" which can be identified by its having 4 cable connections. It can be used with legacy receivers as-is, or it can be converted to SWM by running all 4 cables to an external SWM switch such as the SWM-8. (It is also possible to use it with both legacy and SWM receivers at the same time with the right wiring.)

The other type is the "SWM-LNB" which contains a built-in SWM switch and has only one cable connection. It ONLY works with SWM-capable receivers. It cannot be used with legacy receivers.

Umm, "RV Slimline 5LNB"? As in, Recreational Vehicle? If so, I assume it will be one of the self-aiming roof mounts, like the Winegard Trav'ler or the Motosat? If so, it will be a legacy-type LNB with the 4 outputs, because the aiming controllers cannot work with the SWM-type LNB.

keith

#6 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:19 PM

The Slimline would for sure not be the roof mount. It will be on a tripod. As we move around many times trees would block the view of the satellite if we had a roof mount. And I can buy 15 of the tripod mount type versus one of the roof mount. If one had a roof mount, many of the newer Winegards are SWM only. I guess I don't even mind setting up the old 18" dish along with the Slimline if need be. When I make the decision I can sell one or the other.

#7 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:21 PM

Deal is done. HR34 owned, $549 and $17 shipping. HR24 Owned and a complete RV dish and hookup kit (plug and play) brings my total to $1098. About the same price as one of my early adopter Series 3 TiVos with Lifetime. Now if my lovely wife can just be happy with the system I am good to go. If not then the old DirecTiVos will just get more use until they die, and I will sell the owned stuff.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...