Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Back button when watching DVR

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rochrunner

rochrunner

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:24 PM

I haven't seen this subject discussed recently, but does anyone know definitively how the Back button works (or is supposed to work!) when watching a recording? The forward button is pretty good at jumping ahead about 30 seconds per press, but the back button is really flaky.

I thought it was supposed to jump back about 8 seconds, which it *sometimes* does, but often it seems repeatedly to go back only a second or two. Then, one more press takes me back several minutes or even starts over from the beginning!

Am I missing something about using this "feature?"
  • windskisong likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 564 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:44 PM

I have seen a couple other people report that pressing the back button a couple times takes them all the way to the beginning of the recording, but this is not normal. When you skip back, it should take you back (roughly) 10 seconds.

Will you please PM your phone number or account number so I can report this problem for you?

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#3 OFFLINE   KevinRS

KevinRS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:09 AM

I've had the same issue, skip through the commercials, press skip once too many times, and then back 2 times, and I could be back in the last commercial, or 15 minutes or more back in the show.

#4 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

The buttons, of course, work differently if you are in a pause mode or if the DVR event is playing...we discovered many versions ago that you need to wait a short amount of time between each skip to allow the DVR to "catch-up"...pressing skip-ahead or skip-back too quickly will result in erratic results.

Try using the skip buttons and wait a second before pressing it again...let the DVR display the first frame of each skip command before pressing skip again...this method works reliably for me and my 622.
Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp

#5 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 196 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

My experience with just the back and skip buttons alone is good. However, if I pause, frame forward or back, use slow motion, then I might get thrown 10 minutes back in time at some point.
  • windskisong likes this

#6 OFFLINE   Schabes

Schabes

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

I'm having the very same problem. Thanks, guys, for explaining it succinctly and correctly.

Is there any hope of a near-term fix for this, other than waiting between button presses?

BTW, this DIDN'T happen a couple of years ago; it seems to be a problem with recent revisions of software.

#7 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 565 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:07 AM

I love reading the Chuck Lorre production end sequences, they're hilarious or quite poignant, or the fine print in some commercials (just to see how ridiculous it is) and to get the page in a position to read it you need to jockey it around frame by frame using Skip < or > in Pause Mode and when done I go back to full play, it jumps back 10-15 minutes every time.
  • windskisong likes this

#8 OFFLINE   Schabes

Schabes

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:06 AM

I love reading the Chuck Lorre production end sequences, they're hilarious or quite poignant, or the fine print in some commercials (just to see how ridiculous it is) and to get the page in a position to read it you need to jockey it around frame by frame using Skip < or > in Pause Mode and when done I go back to full play, it jumps back 10-15 minutes every time.

Yep. This happens to me, too. In addition, while going 1/15 or 1/4 speed forward works fine, I can get jumps when trying to REVERSE in slow-mo.

MattG, or anyone else at Dish, is this a known problem? Is someone working on this, or at least investigating it? :confused:

Thanks.

#9 OFFLINE   mikant

mikant

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

My back button works as it should watching HD, but not when watching recored SD.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

Behavior varies for SD vs HD... but also for MPEG2 vs MPEG4 channels, and higher bitrate vs lower bitrate channels. It is apparently "optimized" for a particular set of circumstances, and for the rest of the time it can vary quite a bit.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#11 OFFLINE   Schabes

Schabes

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

Matt? Anyone at Dish? Any help here?

#12 OFFLINE   Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

My back button works as it should watching HD, but not when watching recored SD.

Bingo. This is my experience too.

SD mostly works correctly, but sometimes not.

#13 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

Exactly!
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#14 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:47 AM

I have narrowed this problem down to certain channels or shows only. First run shows almost never exhibit the problem. Very old shows like 3rd Rock From the Sun and MASH on TV Land or Reelz are almost guaranteed to skip back to the beginning if the skip back is pressed more than a couple of times in a row.

Dish, use those as examples! And, I am on my 4th 722 in 3 years with this problem.
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#15 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 565 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

On my second 722 in little over 3 years. And it happens on all channels with any kind of programming.

#16 OFFLINE   Schabes

Schabes

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

And it happens on all channels with any kind of programming.

Ditto for me.

#17 OFFLINE   John H Jackson

John H Jackson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

Man oh man...

I wish I had gone looking here a long time ago. Silly me, I tried to work with Dish with nothing to show for it but total frustration.

Starting in mid '11 I tried talking to their tech line about this. I presumed they have some kind of tracking system for bugs and asked to be sure a ticket got opened so they would address this. I did this more than once.

In January, I wrote a letter to Dish mgmt of tech services and got a phone call in reply. They told me to call the tech line (again). (Arrggghhhhh!) I did so.

The guy sez it's gotta be a hardware prob in my 722 (in fact he sed it was a defective hard drive. I sed BS. So I swapped out the 722. And nothing changed. [here's my very surprised face look]

A month ago, I wrote another letter to mgmt. This time they ignored me altogether.

Recently I sent a (rather angry) e-mail. The reply is that they want to send a tech out here. What's he gonna do from here???

What's really irritating is that they keep insisting that it's just me. (I've been sure that wasn't true.) Boy do they have tin ears.

I gather from a quick perusal of this forum that Dish has their hands full with bugs. They certainly demonstrate no interest in or capability to address this.

#18 OFFLINE   John H Jackson

John H Jackson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

So this is an old thread that "doesn't need any further discussion."

Really?

I'm a total newbie here who has no idea how to get a problem with the 722 addressed. I took it up with Dish Services (more than once); wrote letters to their management (more than once); and even got a trouble ticket opened on it by them weeks and weeks ago.

How is it that this really old really annoying problem won't get addressed.

Would someone kindly give me a clue?

Thanks.

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

John,

Welcome to DBSTalk... I've seen a few posts from you, but none of them actually detail the problem you are having.

What is the exact problem you are having with your receiver? If you post that, you might get more replies.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#20 OFFLINE   John H Jackson

John H Jackson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for the reply, Stewart.

I thought I'd laid it out, but no matter... worth a try.

The skip button is totally erratic. Here's what's really common:

On pretty much any recorded program on any channel I'll use the skip function forward thru the commercials. When I get to the program, then I have to skip backwards, often 2 - 3 times to get back to where the program restarts (after the ads).

Generally one or two skips backwards are fine but 3 or more and Molly, hold th' door! It goes wildly backwards for many minutes (10, 15, 20, even back to the start!) Just drives us nuts. Happens all the time. I think it's described right here in this thread by others. I've spoken to Tech Services ("Dr Dish") more than once; written to corp mgmt. (They followed up once and then ignored me after that, and that initial follow up was worthless. Told me to talk to "Dr. Dish" and that guy stated that I had a bad harddrive. I told him it didn't seem to fit the symptom, and of course swapping the receiver changed nothing. This problem is many months old and they appear to be completely ignoring it.

(I worked in tech and when we got a trouble report, it stayed active and was pursued to completion! Just what is it with Dish, anyway?)
  • windskisong likes this

Protected By... spam firewall...And...