Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

722 View button switches channels

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:10 PM

The View button is acting oddly on my 722 today. Did a buggy firmware update break something?

Here's what happens.

1. Change to a channel which is not an entry of the current guide.
2. Glance at a program recorded in the DVR
3. Hit View to switch back to live TV

then

4. You don't get returned to the channel of step 1. Instead, you get the nearest channel in the current guide.

In the past, View changed to whatever live channel you were viewing. Now, View seems to be limitted to channels in the guide.

For example, if you have guides for "News" and "Sports" channels. Watch a live news channel. Flip through the sport guide to see what games are on. Then start a recording and hit View. You'll be left seeing sports instead of the news channel you were last on.

This is quite annoying. Before you could anticipate what channel view would bring you back to. I flip through guides during commercials, looking for things I might want to record. Who knows what guide I end up at when the commercials end.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 551 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:35 PM

I haven't seen any reports of this before, but will attempt to duplicate the problem.

Will you send me a PM with your phone number or account number so I can put in a report for you? Also please include what list you're using in the guide (such as favorites list or MY HD Channels, etc) and software version

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#3 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:59 AM

Has anyone else had this problem?

1. Go to the "All Channels" list and watch an SD channel
2. Now change lists to "My HD Channels", but keep watching the SD channel
3. Go to the DVR recordings, start one and hit the View button

4. You'll now be watching a live HD channel instead of the SD channel that you were one. I think the HD channel picked is the one numerically closest to the SD channel.

The 722 patch has tied the View button too tightly to the lists, in my opinion. This is a new bug.

#4 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:11 AM

Has anyone else had this problem?
1. Go to the "All Channels" list and watch an SD channel
2. Now change lists to "My HD Channels", but keep watching the SD channel
3. Go to the DVR recordings, start one and hit the View button
4. You'll now be watching a live HD channel instead of the SD channel that you were one. I think the HD channel picked is the one numerically closest to the SD channel.

Yup, that's the way mine works. I thought it was this way for a long time though, not just with the latest update.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#5 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

Yup, that's the way mine works. I thought it was this way for a long time though, not just with the latest update.

I think it is a recent change. Last week I hit the buttons and found myself a little disoriented as I was watching TruTV instead of one of the 24-hour news channels. This is the sort of thing that you take for granted and don't think about, until it works differently. So I can't say with absolute certainty how it worked before, but it's definitely different now.

Since I usually flip through the lists when I'm bored, the current list is not necessarily the one that I want to watch right now. I'm often browsing the "Movie channel" list, for instance. But I rarely view a movie channel live.

spam firewall