Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

External hard drive content and new receivers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   l_lamb

l_lamb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:14 PM

We have had an HR20-700 since 2006. In 2009 we added an external drive because the internal drive was starting to go out. Last week we purchased a 3D television and were told by DirecTV that the HR20 would not work with 3D programming. We received an HR23-700 as a replacement yesterday and got it configured. However, we keep getting an expired access card error when we try to watch anything recorded on the old external drive. A red button reset clears the error, but we still can't watch anything off of the drive.

I told the rep last week that we had an external drive and he didn't say anything about not being able to watch what we've recorded. So, I guess my question is: Is there any way to watch the programs we've got recorded on another source like a PC? I can deal with resetting all of the season passes but I would like to be able to watch what we have recorded. Any help would be appreciated.
Sony KP-51WS500 RP HDTV
Sony STR-DE825 5.1 receiver

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:31 PM

Only the dvr that recorded the programs can play them back. No exceptions, no workarounds. Sorry.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 477 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:47 PM

Yep, you're pretty much screwed here. :(

I think I heard that content actually recorded via the off-the-air tuner (using an antenna) on the HR20 is not scrambled and might still be viewable. But if it came off a satellite channel, you're SOL.

Keith

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:25 PM

OTA recordings are the only recordings that can be viewed on a different DVR than they were recorded on on a natively attached drive.

#5 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:01 PM

You can't watch recordings (being scrambled by unique key for each DVR) on other DVR, regardless if it belong your account or not.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...