Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AAD Is Still Here

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:22 PM

I note that we have reached the five-year anniversary of the AAD service. Some people felt that the service would end in November, when the transponder lease contract likely came up for renewal. I am not aware of any indication that AAD intends to cease service, but who knows?

I was disappointed to see the HD service end in February, leaving us with only SD. I wonder what market AAD has at this time. I am not sure how many short markets there are, but with multicasting I think the number of short markets is dwindling. There are no doubt some grandfathered customers and some RV customers. Dish is providing full network service to all markets, either through full local carriage or through local combined with distant coverage.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:10 AM

We didn't get much warning when the HD service left. We did get past the expected contract renewal date ... I suppose as long as DN, LLC. pays their bill their customers won't have to worry too much.

#3 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 684 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:09 PM

AAD doesnt live by the same rules as Dish network. As such, since AAD does not provide ANY local channels, they can provide distants to a LOT of the country, either in non grade B areas or thru waivers. I believe the non grade B areas increased once the switch to digital switch hit becuz I had to go thru the waiver process and was granted 3 of 4 waivers originally. CBS refused but when I got HD last year, AAD said I now qualified for CBS without a waiver. Bonus, when the HD service ended, they applied my unused balance to my SD service, so I've been enjoying free SD service for 6 months now an wont need to worry about paying till march.

On the contrary, Dish's HD distant service does fall in to the local in local restriction which basically means only RV'rs can get it.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#4 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:56 PM

All correct. AAD has a very large market. I live in a "White Zone" and get all the the networks East and West. HD would be great, but really for the times I use them SD is fine, mostly news and local shows. Also great as a back up (Especially West Cost) if we lose power or something prevents recording a favorite show....

#5 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:40 AM

AAD is a nice complement to Dish service. However, it would be an ideal service if they had continued with the HD service. At this time to me it is incomplete. However, I am glad that they made it past the expected contract renewal date. As long as they are there, there is always a chance that HD service will return.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

Apparently AAD has been able to keep enough customers to pay for the transponder lease, the backhauls from their markets to the uplink center and still pay for the overhead. They may be turning a profit. Add the cost of a second transponder for HD and that profit goes away ... they may gain a few more subscribers who would not buy a SD service, and a few who would pay more for SD and HD, but enough to pay for a second transponder?

NPS gave it a shot but their business is now gone. Distant Networks, LLC., bought the business, looked at the numbers and went SD only. I don't expect that decision will change.

Yes, the service made it past five years ... with only one ownership change. As DISH expands their local channel offerings distants become less important. There will always be those who will pay extra for additional markets (even if they can get their own) but I doubt there is the critical mass needed to convince DN, LLC., to expand to HD service.

#7 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

Prior to DVR's there was a distinct advantage for some of us with different time zone feeds, and for sports fans one can or could view a different game because of the market. With the lack of HD and little hope of this product has become much less attractive. The advantages may not outweigh the cost.
Thank you and
Best of luck

Protected By... spam firewall...And...