Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Advise on new install - order

hr24

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   imjustdave

imjustdave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:08 AM

Advise on new install - order

I currently only have 1 TV .. New Samsung D6000.. Watched a Blue Ray tonight OM MY GOD this is really nice to watch. Upgraded from an old 32 tube TV….. Ok back to my Q

I want to the new Hr34 for the main TV. This is a must have…….

In the future “less than 6 months” the wife would enjoy a TV in the Bedroom and maybe one in a second room 6 months to a year.

Should I order extra boxes now? And let them sit. They seem to be free in the 4 room package
If I wait say 6 months do I end up paying a boat ton extra free VS 200
I assume I will have to pay a room fee. But that’s cheaper than an inflated price latter.
Seeing as I don’t have the Tv’s in the Bedrooms yet should I plan to use RVU? And bypass the boxes?
I’m assuming there is no monthly fee for RVU use.

If I do get an extra box would it be worthwhile to get a H24? Or whatever the just 1 lower level box is.
So how would a HR34 and H24 work together? So I have 5feeds on the hr34 and 2 on the H24? Not that I need 7 recordings at once but can a HR34 pull from a H24.

Thanks looking for ideas.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:18 AM

in order to get the best discount offer for a New customer order everthing you need NOW!- The Discount won't be their latter.

Welcome to Dbs
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#3 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:44 AM

Did you mean HR24? The H24 only has one tuner so your tuner count would be 6 not seven unless you meant HR24.

The HR34 and the other unit you are talking about would be connected through the Whole Home setup that you could request when you order service.

I have heard rumors that in order to use the RVU feature there will be a fee, but I do not know what that fee is, sorry. There is a thread about RVU in the Samsung tv line here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=199660.

Welcome to DBS, feel free to poke around,ask questions, and enjoy.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#4 OFFLINE   imjustdave

imjustdave

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:13 AM

Um yes I guess To be honest the web site doesn't list model #'s. currently the HR34 is 99 and the next box is listed as free, Im assuming its the HR24...

So what the downside to ordering say 4 boxes?
3 HR24 and
1 HR34
its the same price as 1 HR34.

Im going to assume the downside is the 6$ a month. and needing a SWIM to support 11 SWIMS.

I think the bigest Q I need to know is can you return a box say in month 6?

Shoot I can afford a 6 buck hit over a 200 one if I need an extra reciever.

#5 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:35 AM

PUt the old set in the bedroom and order an HD box for it now, especially if you are going to upgrade to an HD set in the bedroom in a short while. That way the box and wiring will be ready when you upgrade. HD boxes are a must if you want whole home dvr. I have one Hr24 and two H25. One of the 25's is hooked up to an old analog tv in the bedroom which my wife watches when she wants alone time.

#6 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:44 AM

Um yes I guess To be honest the web site doesn't list model #'s. currently the HR34 is 99 and the next box is listed as free, Im assuming its the HR24...

3 HR24 and
1 HR34

Im going to assume the downside is the 6$ a month. and needing a SWIM to support 11 SWIMS.

I think the bigest Q I need to know is can you return a box say in month 6?

Shoot I can afford a 6 buck hit over a 200 one if I need an extra reciever.

You can return a leased box whenever you want.

Never assume anything with directv, if the HR24 is what you are going for, then most here have recommended getting one from Solid Signal as it would be considered a leased unit and then seeing if Directv would offset your cost.

Edited by jodyguercio, 29 December 2011 - 09:38 AM.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:26 AM

3 HR24 and
1 HR34

No, this is not correct. Ordering 1 HR34 and 3 HD receivers (not dvrs) would be the same price. For receivers, you could get any of the H21/22/24/25 models. H = HD Receiver. HR = HR DVR.

To order one HR34 and three HR2x units, you will probably have to pay as much as $199 each for the HR2x units (i.e., up to $600 total). Huge difference.

As to model numbers, if you order an HR34, you will get an HR34. If you order an H2x or HR2x, you could get any of the current model numbers. Whatever the installer has on his truck qualifies.

#8 OFFLINE   imjustdave

imjustdave

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:45 AM

No, this is not correct. Ordering 1 HR34 and 3 HD receivers (not dvrs) would be the same price. For receivers, you could get any of the H21/22/24/25 models. H = HD Receiver. HR = HR DVR.

To order one HR34 and three HR2x units, you will probably have to pay as much as $199 each for the HR2x units (i.e., up to $600 total). Huge difference.

As to model numbers, if you order an HR34, you will get an HR34. If you order an H2x or HR2x, you could get any of the current model numbers. Whatever the installer has on his truck qualifies.

Oh Wow I see what happend now, Directv web site rearanges the recievers when you pick a TV... Im in the computer industry and as far as im concerened ... that is a little bit of a bait and switch... Not to mention a lack of part numbers really throws it a curve ball. So yes you are correct, the HD are free and the DVR cost 99 right now.... Thanks for the warning.

#9 OFFLINE   imjustdave

imjustdave

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:52 AM

Ok Sorry for all the Q but I trust you guys a little more then the guy who answeres the phone....

HR34 is a givin at this point, that 5 tunners. check :)

If I go with additional HD DVR can it also work with the HR34 and give me 2 additional tunners and its storage capasity... with the option of streaming all of the content anywhere in the house via both DVR?

And which HD DVR is or would be recomend by the group as a 2nd or additional to the HR34?

Is there anything else that I should order? some networking box? something else that I will want. :confused:

Sorry I used to know all of this but its been 10+ years ago now :(

Thank you everyone I really want to get my order right :)

#10 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:27 PM

Each DVR has two tuners and can be used to record up to two separate shows at any given time (or watch one while recording another). If you had an HR34 and an HR2x, you would have seven tuners available for whatever mix of live and recorded you wanted to do. However, they would be on two machines, not integrated together. Yes, each can be a server to show MRV from, and each can be a client to view MRV on, so you can watch something recorded on the HR34 from the HR24 and vice-versa. However, if you at some future time use a non-receiver (RVU) client, I believe it would only access recordings from the HR34. You could not go through the 34 to the 24 to get to a recording. If you had an actual receiver (H2x unit), it would be able to view recordings from either/both HR units.

DirecTV does not track/offer the HR2x series by specific model. If you order an HD DVR you could get an HR20, HR21, HR22, HR23, or HR24. They are considered equivalent in DirecTVs inventory system. If you want a specific model, the only way to guarantee that is to order from a 3rd party vendor such as Solid Signal or Value Electronics. As to which is "better", the HR24 is the newest, but I am using a mix and am happy with them all. You will see a variety of opinions on these forums in regard to that question.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hr24

spam firewall