Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Lansing, MI Finally to get HD Locals?

upgrade

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   engeler1

engeler1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:02 AM

Hi,

Wanted to see if anyone could comment on the reliability of what I heard from the guy selling Directv at Sams club. Several days later I asked a 2nd guy at the Sams Club and heard this same story:

Lansing will have HD Locals finally before the Superbowl. The rumor is that Comcast had an exclusive contract for HD locals which is up at the end of 2011.

Usually any news is broken on this website, not by Sams employees commissioned to sell more Directv.

So I put it out to this board -- does this story pass the smell test?

Bring on the HD Locals!

Eric

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   swissin

swissin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:22 PM

As far as comcast not dish has had Lansing HD for about 2years now. So I think the Sam's guy is fall of stuff.:eek2:

#3 OFFLINE   jcrandall

jcrandall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

Sounds like a simple sales job, not good info.

Lansing as of 12/28/11 is not even uplinked for testing yet.

Also, Dish has Lansing HD locals, and many outlying areas that have cable other than Comcast have Lansing HD locals.

I think he just wants to sell Directv.

#4 OFFLINE   engeler1

engeler1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

That's what I was afraid of. I'll pass the bad news along to my Dad so he stops expecting HD locals -- too bad!

Directv is a great product but in Lansing it stinks!

#5 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:02 PM

That's what I was afraid of. I'll pass the bad news along to my Dad so he stops expecting HD locals -- too bad!

Directv is a great product but in Lansing it stinks!

Yes, Lansing will get HD locals in 2012 if all goes to plan
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:07 PM

Yes, Lansing will get HD locals in 2012 if all goes to plan

Great news. The lack of HD locals has cost me at least 5 refer-a-friend deals.

And what on earth was the hold up?

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#7 OFFLINE   jcrandall

jcrandall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:16 PM

That is excellent news, but I wouldn't bet on it by the superbowl unless Satracer says more. t-minus 11 months.

#8 OFFLINE   DMG

DMG

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:04 PM

Can you say anything about Monterey/Salinas/Santa Cruz for 2012?

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:38 AM

Since I am completely setup for OTA, they can keep their Lansing locals...and I'm 40 miles south of Lansing. I get all OTA channels available in our DMA perfectly fine with a $50 antenna...anyone living in Lansing with D* and isnt getting their locals via OTA, that's their problem, and it would be so easy to correct for them it isnt even funny. Besides, we wont be getting any sub-channels if past history is the measure.

#10 OFFLINE   engeler1

engeler1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

Since I am completely setup for OTA, they can keep their Lansing locals...and I'm 40 miles south of Lansing. I get all OTA channels available in our DMA perfectly fine with a $50 antenna...anyone living in Lansing with D* and isnt getting their locals via OTA, that's their problem, and it would be so easy to correct for them it isnt even funny. Besides, we wont be getting any sub-channels if past history is the measure.

The trick is NBC (Channel 10 WILX? from Jackson). This year wanted to watch MSU / ND game. Had a terrible time getting my Dad's OTA antenna to pull it in. He's not going to put an antenna on the roof so his HD Antenna Settup is the best he'll be able to do.

Channel 10 is a tough assignment from DeWitt....

Hope D* solves the problem in 2012!

#11 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

Great news. The lack of HD locals has cost me at least 5 refer-a-friend deals.

And what on earth was the hold up?

Not sure. You need capacity on a spot beam, a local receive facility, uplink, all that kind of stuff. Capacity, cost, etc. I don't know, but those are potential guesses
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:22 PM

Any date for these locals? Any any other markets that might get HD locals "before the superbowl"?

#13 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

Not everyone wants to deal with OTA and buying AM21's for their HD receivers. Our market finally getting HD locals is a good thing.:)

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#14 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

When you see the drop in PQ you may not sing the same tune. While it may be ok for the masses, any of us critical viewers would use OTA for every channel if we had the choice, it always has better PQ....less affected by weather, etc. there are many benefits to OTA. Like I said before, anyone who has been a D* customer for awhile and is serious about getting their locals in HD in a non-served market, would have already dealt with the OTA situation including adding AM21's to the newer models.

#15 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

When you see the drop in PQ you may not sing the same tune. While it may be ok for the masses, any of us critical viewers would use OTA for every channel if we had the choice, it always has better PQ....less affected by weather, etc. there are many benefits to OTA. Like I said before, anyone who has been a D* customer for awhile and is serious about getting their locals in HD in a non-served market, would have already dealt with the OTA situation including adding AM21's to the newer models.

The drop in PQ will be negligible. In fact, I was able to compare ABC 53 to the D* feed while watching NASCAR Hotpass a couple of years ago and the D* version was identical.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#16 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

The drop in PQ will be negligible. In fact, I was able to compare ABC 53 to the D* feed while watching NASCAR Hotpass a couple of years ago and the D* version was identical.

You may not be as PQ critical as I am...which is good for you. ;)
I'll stick with OTA whether we get our locals or not.

#17 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

What is this standard definition you speak of? Seriously, blocking competing providers from sending out an HD signal does not seem right.

#18 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,967 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

I guess it can come down to where you live...

A few rare days aside, my local FOX affiliate's PQ is equal to that of OTA.
I cannot receive my CBS affiliate, so I cannot comment on the difference between the signals.
My PBS appears to be equal.
My NBC affiliate however appears to be slightly soft compared to OTA...

As for being less affected by weather, it can depend on your circumstances. Certain times of the year, I can actually count on my DirecTV signal to be less affected by the weather, than my antenna.

I'm very grateful for my locals... sure, I wish they'd add ABC in HD, and I wish my local CW affiliate offered HD for DirecTV to carry it, but overall, I'm just glad I don't have to do without them.

~Alan

#19 OFFLINE   aa9vi

aa9vi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:37 AM

The trick is NBC (Channel 10 WILX? from Jackson). This year wanted to watch MSU / ND game. Had a terrible time getting my Dad's OTA antenna to pull it in. He's not going to put an antenna on the roof so his HD Antenna Settup is the best he'll be able to do.

Channel 10 is a tough assignment from DeWitt....

Hope D* solves the problem in 2012!

WILX is halfway between Lansing and Jackson. They are also more than doubling their transmitter power soon:
http://transition.fc...LX&city=&state=

#20 OFFLINE   markman07

markman07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:42 PM

Rochester/Austin/Mason City (MN/IA) market -

I usually don't even bother asking for all the obvious reasons but being the Directv HD Locals page on their website show NO upcoming HD Locals for anyone and Satelliteracer does appear to be in a good mood ;-) I might as well. Any chance our market finally gets our HD locals? If you can't answer that's fine. If you can that's awesome! I wonder if Tebow could help move things along?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: upgrade

Protected By... spam firewall...And...