Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ethernet & Phone Line on DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 915 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:46 AM

Im starting this thread because some of the other forums i saw on this topic are old or outdated, was wondering if anyone could help me with the following questions for current day inquiry...with a telephone line and the ethernet connection.

Is a phone line still needed to pull down guide data? Can the ethernet pull down guide data? Now that the ethernet has side apps. Some of the older posts show their age in which the right direction button didnt used to pull side applications as it didnt exist :)

2nd question

for PPV's can your ethernet connection sub for a phone line, since it was always imperative that a phone line be plugged in for PPV orderings. Can the ethernet port relay info so you can order PPV's or is the phone line the only way to go here ?

thank you:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 915 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:49 AM

:) marking this forum so it comes up on my recent

#3 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,265 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:59 AM

The guide data doesn't come from a phone line, it comes from the SAT feed. It's always been that way. So, you don't need a phone line (or ethernet) to get guide data.

The box will report PPV purchases over the internet, so the only reason to have both ethernet (with internet) and a phone line is to get Caller ID on your TV.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#4 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 915 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:04 PM

The guide data doesn't come from a phone line, it comes from the SAT feed. It's always been that way. So, you don't need a phone line (or ethernet) to get guide data.

The box will report PPV purchases over the internet, so the only reason to have both ethernet (with internet) and a phone line is to get Caller ID on your TV.

This is great news!! I had my phone line split and ran a long cord for the phone line to the box..but my PC is closer to D*'s reciever so an ethernet cable is easier for me to do.. This weekend i will re-coil that moster phone line I had hooked up to it and retire it!! thanks!!

#5 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:12 PM

DirecTV still needs to update their TOS language to reflect that a phone line is not required for PPV.

http://www.directv.c..._and_conditions
"Blackout restrictions apply to sports programming. To receive sports programming and to order pay per view by remote, a DIRECTV subscription is required (except stand-alone NFL SUNDAY TICKET renewals) and all DIRECTV Receivers must be continuously connected to the same land-based phone line."

I see they have finally updated the equipment lease addendum to no longer require land based phone line. http://www.directv.c..._lease_addendum

Other references to mirroring fees and same phone line are finally no longer to be found.

Edited by tkrandall, 31 December 2011 - 02:13 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

If you have Century Link as your phone provider and do the combined billing thing, Century Link will send your CID info over the internet and the DTV /CL app will allow it to appear on screen:)

#7 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,675 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:02 PM

DirecTV still needs to update their TOS language to reflect that a phone line is not required for PPV. . . .

It's a Litmus Test for me when I'm dealing with a problem and I get a CSR asking me if I have a phone line connected to the receiver. It's strange, but it is always at that point that I accidentally get disconnected.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#8 OFFLINE   gomezma1

gomezma1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:29 PM

So I would not need a phone line connected to a Dishnetwork reciever like they insist? I'm thinking of jumping ship in Feb. I don't want the phone line running all over the place since I don't have one any where near the D box I have now. Is there any other options to get a line hooked up to it?

#9 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:28 PM

WAIT WAIT WAIT It sounds like you are now asking about connecting a DISHNET system. Is this correct?

DTV does not need a phone line EXCEPT for caller ID. Depending on how you set the system up, you can do every thing EXCEPT caller ID thru the internet.

AS far as DISHNET, I belive that they due require a phone line and NO internet ablity.

#10 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 915 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:37 PM

WAIT WAIT WAIT It sounds like you are now asking about connecting a DISHNET system. Is this correct?

DTV does not need a phone line EXCEPT for caller ID. Depending on how you set the system up, you can do every thing EXCEPT caller ID thru the internet.

AS far as DISHNET, I belive that they due require a phone line and NO internet ablity.

yeah my title and grouping within the boards is clearly for D* not E*

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,354 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

I think he was mistaking gomezma1 with you.

#12 OFFLINE   JackDW001

JackDW001

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

Just for clarification, can a person get D* without either a land line or ethernet?

This is for a second house I work out of. It has no land line (I just use a cell phone) and my internet is through a 4G/3G network. No ethernet or cable lines.

I do not care about PPV. In the past, I think this gave the company heartburn and they wanted to give a person a hard time. Has that now been resolved?

Thanks

#13 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

The only reason you need a Phone Line is to report PPV Charges which are downloaded via the Phone Line for Billing Purposes or for CallerID Viewing on your TV.

However, they now have another Option which is Internet Connection via Ethernet Cable to your Router.

Whether they would let you connect without either of these is probably based upon the CSR you speak to but I would just say you have a Phone Line Connected and be done with it.

It is not like the CSR is going to check to see if your phone line is connected.

However, if you do watch PPV without a Phone Line or Ethernet Connection when you reach a Certain $ Limit you will be Suspended until the PPV Account Balance is Paid In Full!!! :)

And Don't Ask How I Know!!! :lol:

Edited by Richierich, 15 February 2012 - 05:34 PM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#14 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

The phone line is also for the caller ID option ans yes you can use a reciever WITHOUT either one connected. You just will not be able to do on screen PPV for PPV you will need to go on line into your account and order that way.

I do this in the summer in my rv with out a problem.

#15 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

The phone line is also for the caller ID option ans yes you can use a reciever WITHOUT either one connected. You just will not be able to do on screen PPV for PPV you will need to go on line into your account and order that way.

I do this in the summer in my rv with out a problem.

Yes, I forgot to include CallerID in my Post.

Also, I am buying a 2007 Country Coach Affinity in about 3 weeks and I am looking forward to seeing the U. S. of A. It has an In Motion Directv Dish for SD and a Motosat for Directv HD when you get to your Location.

Cool Beans!!! Can't wait to buy it and start out on a trip!!! :D
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#16 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:20 PM

Santi360HD,
Just before you go and jam an Ethernet cable in the back of your receiver, please let us know your setup. Since you have HD in your name, I guessing you have HD receivers. Do you have MRV? If so, we need to discuss the Ethernet solution further.
Bob

spam firewall