Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

how do a HR34 HR24 HD and RVU box connect

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   imjustdave

imjustdave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:23 PM

So im planning on getting a HR34 new 5 tunner box and a HR24 2 tunner and standard HD box. 1 tuner. This is going to be a all new install.

Can someone explain and tell me how it will all be connected?

Im thinking that it will be dish to via RG6 to the HR34... but how do the rest of the 2 boxes connect? cat 5 RG6 ? how about the basic tunner box?

Im thinking Cat5 for the additional boxes but I remember reading that isnt supported So Im all lost. right now.

Also I happen to have a RVU samsung TV.... How does that get connected up? and can I have 5.1 on a RVU tV?

Also I assume that I all 3 boxes will be able to start, play record, pause, transfer to other TV shows recorded on both of the DVR boxes?

Also I have heard of DECA, SWIM, and a bunch of other terms, could you please, I hate to say dumb it down for me... but I dont know what it is yet so maybe a short discription for me. thansk

Again Thanks to everyone for your help !!!!!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

The dish will feed to a splitter. One line from the splitter will go to a power inserter that will power the dish. Depending on the installer, he may choose to run a line from the power inserter to a receiver, or run a separate line for the power inserter. Both are ok.

One coax line will go to each receiver. Cat 5 will not be used.
You should contact DIRECTV and request an RVU install, so the installer will bring everything he needs.

With an RVU install, the installer runs a coax line to the TV then uses an adapter called a DECA to translate that to a short ethernet run.

All the boxes can play recorded content from the HR34, but the RVU TV will only see the HR34 and not the HR24. The HR24 and regular receiver will see everything.

As for 5.1... I think so but I honestly don't know. The Samsung TVs support HDMI-ARC so if your AV receiver does as well you could feed that in and it would probably work. The AV Receiver in the same room as my Samsung TV does not support HDMI-ARC and the Samsung TVs only put out 2.0 audio over their digital audio out.

Did I get everything?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:33 PM

I don't have all your answers, but...
SWiM is a single coax solution that uses splitters to feed multiple receivers.
Since you're not exceeding 8 tuners, you'll get a SWiM dish.
DECA is a RF networking over coax which are part of the HR34 & HR24.
You'll be able to watch programs from any location, but there isn't any "transferring" between DVRs. Streaming may have been what you meant, but all recordings stay on the DVR they were recording on, and these are simple the server to other receivers/TVs
Not fully up to speed on the RVU TV aspect, so others that are will need to post.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:47 PM

As for 5.1... I think so but I honestly don't know. The Samsung TVs support HDMI-ARC so if your AV receiver does as well you could feed that in and it would probably work. The AV Receiver in the same room as my Samsung TV does not support HDMI-ARC and the Samsung TVs only put out 2.0 audio over their digital audio out.

Did I get everything?

Samsung's website is suggesting ARC will only do this from the TV tuner.
My Sony's optical is like this too, where it doesn't pass 5.1 from a HDMI input.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:23 PM

I would love to be able to confirm that... the manual for my TV says that the optical out will only do 2.0 but it doesn't give that limitation for HDMI-ARC. My research shows this was a problem with some of the 2010 TVs but I've found nothing to say it's a problem with the 2011 (D-Series) TVs.

As I said my AV receiver doesn't support HDMI-ARC :(

#6 OFFLINE   drx792

drx792

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:14 AM

I find it very odd that there are TVs that don't pass 5.1 on the optical out. I have 4 TVs and have never encountered this. 2 samsungs from 2006 and 2 songs from 2010 pass through whatever signal is sent in over HDMI regardless of its encoding too.

Limiting this ability to the tuner input also makes no sense to me.

#7 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,223 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:29 AM

I find it very odd that there are TVs that don't pass 5.1 on the optical out. I have 4 TVs and have never encountered this. 2 samsungs from 2006 and 2 songs from 2010 pass through whatever signal is sent in over HDMI regardless of its encoding too.

Limiting this ability to the tuner input also makes no sense to me.

There have been virtually NO TVs that pass 5.1 on the optical out, when the input is via HDMI. A couple of Toshiba models did this, but very few others. Are you sure you are not confusing 5.1 with the "synthetic" Dolby surround that your A/V receiver creates from the PCM that comes from the TV?

#8 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,270 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:13 AM

There have been virtually NO TVs that pass 5.1 on the optical out, when the input is via HDMI. A couple of Toshiba models did this, but very few others. Are you sure you are not confusing 5.1 with the "synthetic" Dolby surround that your A/V receiver creates from the PCM that comes from the TV?

Just tried this on my Sony LED TV.
HR24 feeds Sony TV with HDMI. Also has an optical line to Sony Receiver (older model, no HDMI inputs).

Sony TV output feeds Sony Receiver via Optical only.

I can switch inputs on the Sony Receiver between the HR24 optical and Sony TV optical out and get 5.1 either way.

If this is "synthetic", how would I know?

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:21 AM

Just tried this on my Sony LED TV.
HR24 feeds Sony TV with HDMI. Also has an optical line to Sony Receiver (older model, no HDMI inputs).

Sony TV output feeds Sony Receiver via Optical only.

I can switch inputs on the Sony Receiver between the HR24 optical and Sony TV optical out and get 5.1 either way.

If this is "synthetic", how would I know?

The Sony AVR should scroll in the display what the signal is after you change inputs.
My very old Sony has a blue light for 5.1, while my Sony XBR2 doesn't output anything over optical, if it changed from the tuner to a HDMI input.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:23 AM

There might be a display on your AVR that says it's receiving 5.1 or it's not.

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:27 AM

There might be a display on your AVR that says it's receiving 5.1 or it's not.

Sony "typically" scrolls Dolby Digital 3/2.1
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,270 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:55 AM

I wasn't clear, my bad.
When I do the test, in both cases I do get the Blue Light and it does display Dolby Digital 3/2. Even with the HR24 to the TV, and TV optical to the Sony Receiver.

I trust that to be actual DD 5.1, not Simulated.

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:07 AM

I wasn't clear, my bad.
When I do the test, in both cases I do get the Blue Light and it does display Dolby Digital 3/2. Even with the HR24 to the TV, and TV optical to the Sony Receiver.

I trust that to be actual DD 5.1, not Simulated.

Since that is the input signal, you can "trust" that.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   drx792

drx792

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:11 AM

My input signal on the AVR shows Dolby Digital 5.1 for my HR20 and will show DTS Master HD or Dolby HD from my blu-ray player. This is from a 2006 Samsung DLP Optical Out.

My other Sony shows up as 3/2 Dolby Digital on my other AVR, but this is an older one and for blu-ray passes PCM (its decoded at the PS3).

I'm assuming by "synthetic" 5.1 everyone is referring to ProLogic II encoding right? Cause my AVR will switch to that when I am watching an SD show or show that is 2.0.

EDIT: This all being said, my AVR (Denon 991) seems to be magical. I can only assign Opt1 to one HDMI input. So I have the HR20's input use the TVs Optical Out. Somehow my blu ray player gets set to Coax1 though and will decode the DTS HD from it too. I have no coax inputs in use and just that one Optical In. I'm going to guess that the Optical In 1 and Coax 1 are parallel and the receiver does this because it can't assign an input to multiple outs. My only other explanation is that it can magically strip audio from the HDMI cable (which would make sense, but I don't believe that can happen due to HDCP).

Edited by drx792, 30 December 2011 - 10:30 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:39 AM

My only other explanation is that it can magically strip audio from the HDMI cable (which would make sense, but I don't believe that can happen due to HDCP).

I had a Sony AVR with HDMI for some testing, and it would "strip" the 5.1 off the HDMI once I found the right setting in their [stupid] menu.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   drx792

drx792

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:51 AM

I had a Sony AVR with HDMI for some testing, and it would "strip" the 5.1 off the HDMI once I found the right setting in their [stupid] menu.

Interesting, I'll have to read up on that then. Perhaps my Denon AVR does the same and has been ignoring my Digital Input Patch? If receivers can do this I don't see why HDMI-ARCs even exist then...

As for my second AVR, that is a Sony, and I may have stumbled upon a strip setting by accident. You are right, the menu structure on all of these units are ridiculous. Even the ones with on-screen GUIs can be horrid and unorganized.

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:56 AM

If receivers can do this I don't see why HDMI-ARCs even exist then...

"So far" its only use seems to be for the TV tuner output back to the AVR.
"It seems" the AVR is to be the control center, so ARC would mean all HDMI [single cables from each device] connect to the AVR, thus removing/reducing the cabling from earlier types.

For ARC to be "what it should" the TV makers need to include all the inputs to the TV to work with it. RVU and internet becoming part of the TVs means the makers need to have all of these work with ARC.

Edited by veryoldschool, 30 December 2011 - 11:19 AM.

A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   drx792

drx792

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:21 AM

"So far" its only use seems to be for the TV tuner output back to the AVR.
"It seems" the AVR is to be the control center, so ARC would mean all HDMI [single cables from each device] connect to the AVR, thus removing/reducing the cabling from earlier types.

Gotcha, I guess I'll be experiencing to see what my units are actually doing. (sorry I sent us off topic with this)

#19 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:27 AM

Gotcha, I guess I'll be experiencing to see what my units are actually doing. (sorry I sent us off topic with this)

Every year the makers need to find some reason why we "must" go buy their new hardware.
HDMI 1.4 is starting to be exploited to control various devices. "press one button" and your blu-ray player powers up as you've selected the input on your AVR.
A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   drx792

drx792

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:12 PM

Every year the makers need to find some reason why we "must" go buy their new hardware.
HDMI 1.4 is starting to be exploited to control various devices. "press one button" and your blu-ray player powers up as you've selected the input on your AVR.

Yeah I'm used to dealing with marketing like that. I have a live audio and sound design background and can't even count the amount of times that people have tried to get me to replace year old system components because they added something useless in.

I actually use hdmi control with my ps3. It lets me use my TVs remote to control my ps3 rather than buying a Bluetooth remote for it. Granted, this is not a feature I would go out of my way to get.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...